Trouble getting the ASP.NET error page to appear remotely

John Lundrigan

I have been developing a web application on a local host and then
using 'Copy Project' to copy all the files up to the ISP location.
When I run the application locally then all is OK. When I run the
application from the ISP site I get an runtime error.

Because the default page does not givem me any indication as to what
the actual problem is, then I change the web.config file using the
recommended custom error tags as follows:

<customErrors mode= "Off" />

This did not result in me getting the detailed page that would have
been displayed at the server on the ISP. So I tried to create a custom
page by creating a HTML file 'mycustompage.htm' and the modifying the
tag to give:

<customErrors mode= "RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm" />

But the result is still the default page with no indication of error.
It is as if the application is not reading the web.config file.

The tag above had been entered inside the existing <system.web> tag.

Any help would be appreciated.

John L

John Saunders

John Lundrigan said:
I have been developing a web application on a local host and then
using 'Copy Project' to copy all the files up to the ISP location.
When I run the application locally then all is OK. When I run the
application from the ISP site I get an runtime error. ....

But the result is still the default page with no indication of error.
It is as if the application is not reading the web.config file.

Maybe it isn't reading it. Try introducing a syntax error into the
web.config file and see if the syntax error is caught.

Are you sure your ISP has your app set up as an application in IIS?