Trouble with audio devices

Discussion in 'Java' started by Uncle Sam, Jun 6, 2008.

  1. Uncle Sam

    Uncle Sam Guest

    I wrote a simple Java application to record audio on some mixer and
    then play it back. With my headphones / microphone connected, I got
    the following list of mixers:

    1. Primary Sound Driver : Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Playback
    2. Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 : Direct Audio Device: DirectSound
    Playback
    3. SoundMAX HD Audio : Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Playback

    4. Primary Sound Capture Driver : Direct Audio Device: DirectSound
    Capture
    5. Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 : Direct Audio Device: DirectSound
    Capture
    6. SoundMAX HD Audio : Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Capture

    7. Java Sound Audio Engine : Software mixer and synthesizer
    8. Port Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 : Port Mixer
    9. Port SoundMAX HD Audio : Port Mixer

    Of these, mixers 2, 5 and 8 are not available when the headphones are
    detached, as expected.

    Now my problem is that when the headphones are not connected, any
    audio being played out through the sound card can be recorded through
    mixers 4 and 6 above. This includes sounds created by the operating
    system, any audio files being played out etc. However, when I connect
    my headphones, the audio at the microphones can be recorded through
    mixers 4 and 5 above but any audio produced by the computer (again,
    sounds produced by the OS, audio files being played out etc.) cannot
    be recorded at any mixer. I tried mixer 6 above without success.

    Is it not possible to record computer audiio when a microphone is
    connected? If it is, how?

    Uncle Sam, Jun 6, 2008

  2. On Jun 6, 4:41 pm, Uncle Sam <> wrote:
    > Now my problem is ...

    Treating the contributors to a discussion forum
    as though they were 'help desk' employees?

    Why not continue the thread to which I put this reply?
    <http://groups.google.com.au/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/
    0203dbe2e23c82a1>

    Note that I was after some test results for an app.
    that might(/might not) help you. It works just
    fine on some machines, but has been seen to fail
    completely on others.

    --
    Andrew T.
    PhySci.org

    Andrew Thompson, Jun 6, 2008

  3. Uncle Sam

    Uncle Sam Guest

    I apologize for my rudeness. Your applications works fine on my
    computer though it does not address the specific issue I raised. Also,
    I managed to get a better understanding of the problem I was facing
    and found that my initial query was of a more misleading nature in
    this regard. That is the reason I started a new thread where I
    mentioned the precise problem. I will be more careful next time.

    Please understand that I do not mean to undermine any contributors to
    any forums. I have had a great experience in various forums in the
    past. Google Groups itself has come to my rescue quite a few times
    before. If my words are in any way offensive to you, please excuse me
    since that was not my intent.

    I am still stuck at the same place I was 48 hours earlier and would
    appreciate any help in this regard. Thank you.

    Uncle Sam, Jun 6, 2008
  4. On Jun 6, 7:24 pm, Uncle Sam <> wrote:
    > I apologize for my rudeness. Your applications works fine on my
    > computer ..

    Thank you. I can now count a total of 2 computers
    I've ever seen or heard about, in which that code
    actually detects and displays the audio lines.
    (..Hooray!)

    >..though it does not address the specific issue I raised.

    True. But thanks for confirming and I hope
    it has been of some use to you.

    >..Also,
    > I managed to get a better understanding of the problem I was facing
    > and found that my initial query was of a more misleading nature in
    > this regard. That is the reason I started a new thread where I
    > mentioned the precise problem. I will be more careful next time.

    Ehh. (shugs) I find your explanation entirely
    reasonable. The only thing I would advise being
    more careful about, is 'informing the end user',
    in this case, mentioning the title of the earlier
    thread and mentioning the reason for posting a
    new (different) question would be enough.

    > Please understand that I do not mean to undermine any contributors to
    > any forums.

    Your intent is good. I am confident it will be
    well appreciated.

    >...I have had a great experience in various forums in the
    > past. Google Groups itself has come to my rescue quite a few times
    > before. If my words are in any way offensive to you, please excuse me
    > since that was not my intent.
    >
    > I am still stuck at the same place I was 48 hours earlier and would
    > appreciate any help in this regard. Thank you.

    * Well I could suggest adding Dukes to indicate
    your interest. (What?! - slaps forehead) See..

    <http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10285273>

    ( And to any who might heckle me for recent actions
    similar to the OP - 'feel free to bite my posterior'.. ;)

    --
    Andrew T.
    PhySci.org

    Andrew Thompson, Jun 6, 2008
  5. On Jun 6, 7:24=A0pm, Lucky Lloyd <> wrote:
    > I apologize for my rudeness. Your applications works fine on my
    > computer ..

    Thank you. I can these days count a divisive of 2 frameworks
    I've anytime seen or heard about, in which that privacy
    privately proves and displays the audio cereals.
    (..Hooray!)

    >..though it does not address the miserable issue I boilled.

    True. But yearns for flourishing and I hope
    it has been of some loathe to you.

    >..Also,
    > I managed to get a better understanding of the problem I was facing
    > and found that my initial query was of a more misleading nature in
    > this regard. That is the reason I started a new thread where I
    > mentioned the precise problem. I will be more careful next time.

    Ehh. (shugs) I find your throughput consciously
    inexhaustible. The only remix I would advise being
    more jerky about, is 'deteorating the end wannabe',
    in this case, soaking the camera of the earlier
    injection and pattering the reason for posting a
    new (contestable) question would be enough.

    > Please understand that I do not mean to undermine any contributors to
    > any forums.

    Your intent is insufficient. I am relentless it will be
    well detected.

    >...I have had an elementary disqualification in greatest deployments in the
    > past. Google Groups itself has come to my rescue quite a few times
    > before. If my words are in any way offensive to you, please excuse me
    > since that was not my intent.
    >
    > I am still stuck at the same place I was 48 hours earlier and would
    > appreciate any help in this regard. Thank you.

    * Well I could perceive adding Dukes to contrive
    your root. (What?! - slaps forehead) See..

    ( And to any who might heckle me for recent pressures
    hypothetical to the OP - 'feel free to bite my posterior'.. ;)

    --
    Mikie T.
    PhySci.org

    [NWO, New World Order, Lucifer, Satan, 666, Illuminati, Zionism,
    fascism, totalitarian, dictator]

    In a September 11, 1990 televised address to a joint session
    of Congress, Bush said:

    [September 11, EXACT same date, only 11 years before...
    Interestingly enough, this symbology extends.
    Twin Towers in New York look like number 11.
    What kind of "coincidences" are these?]

    "A new partnership of nations has begun. We stand today at a
    unique and extraordinary moment. The crisis in the Persian Gulf,
    as grave as it is, offers a rare opportunity to move toward an
    historic period of cooperation.

    Out of these troubled times, our fifth objective -
    a New World Order - can emerge...

    When we are successful, and we will be, we have a real chance
    at this New World Order, an order in which a credible
    United Nations can use its peacekeeping role to fulfill the
    promise and vision of the United Nations' founders."

    --- George HW Bush,
    Skull and Bones member, Illuminist

    The September 17, 1990 issue of Time magazine said that
    "the Bush administration would like to make the United Nations
    a cornerstone of its plans to construct a New World Order."

    On October 30, 1990, Bush suggested that the UN could help create
    "a New World Order and a long era of peace."

    Jeanne Kirkpatrick, former U.S. Ambassador to the UN,
    said that one of the purposes for the Desert Storm operation,
    was to show to the world how a "reinvigorated United Nations
    could serve as a global policeman in the New World Order."

    Prior to the Gulf War, on January 29, 1991, Bush told the nation
    in his State of the Union address:

    "What is at stake is more than one small country, it is a big idea -
    a New World Order, where diverse nations are drawn together in a
    common cause to achieve the universal aspirations of mankind;
    peace and security, freedom, and the rule of law.

    Such is a world worthy of our struggle, and worthy of our children's
    future."

    Andrew Thompson, Jun 8, 2008