Troubleshooting automated appearance of a JS tag with 127 loopback in a web page

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by murrayatuptowngallery, Feb 18, 2006.

  1. I'm caught in a classic finger-pointing situation.

    My hosting company's server appears to be automatically inserting JS
    tags into a JS-free html page that has an image inked to a 2nd page
    with JS.

    The problem may well be that I am calling JS incorrectly. My host co.
    insists my ''web publishing software' is doing this. I can prove it
    isn't by deleting the offending code with an impotent text editor like
    Notepad, upload it with a WS_FTP and view it's contents. The code
    insertion occurs when the JS-containing page is accessed from the
    'front' page.

    I am going to experiment with accessing the JS page directly so there
    is no linking 'calling' page to dump it's trash into.

    excerpt from an index.html page in my public_html directory:

    <head>
    watercolor, acrylic, oil paintings, photography,Tanis, Vanderhill">
    picture framing.">
    <title>uptowngallery.org/index.html</title>

    <script language='javascript'
    src='http://127.0.0.1:1025/js.cgi?pcaw&r=19629'></script>

    </head>

    ....more html in the middle...

    end of the '1st' page has a second line inserted (sometimes multiple
    appearances of this)
    after the closing body & html tags

    <script language='javascript'>postamble();</script>

    So, I have a 2-3 questions:

    1) Any idea how/why a server can access someone's page and why it would
    list 127 addresses in there. I read IANA & RFFC3330 references but that
    only indicates it's a self-identification IP address that should not
    appear anywhere on any network. Obviously it goes somewhere in the path
    from a user back to one's self. But WHO is the 127 being
    referenced...me or the host server?

    2) Is there a problem with linking from an html page called index.html
    to another also called index.html but another tree level lower (another
    subdirectory)? Should a page containing JS be called .js instead of
    ..html?

    www.uptowngallery.org/index.html is the calling page in the
    (transparent) directory public_html.

    There is one large image in this page that calls
    www.uptowngallery.org/Tanis/index.html .

    This page contains JS. Accessing this page thru the 'parent' index page
    causes the JS loopback & postamble mess. I only become aware of it
    because some browsers 'choke' on it (hang halfway without loading the
    page) and once it's there my html editor gives a script error upon
    opening the 'corrupted' page.
    ------

    I just looked and now see the same

    <script language='javascript'
    src='http://127.0.0.1:1027/js.cgi?pcaw&r=31322'></script>

    inserted into the Tanis/index.html JS page now. This is a new
    development. That page already had a JS identifier, so it looks like
    the inserted code is a self-contained script. It has start and finish
    script tags.

    The Tanis directory also has index1.html, index2.html and index3.html.
    They appear to be called my the index.html page in the same directory
    but they work fine with JS and a .html extension, nor do they have the
    'mystery' code lines.

    If I understood this, I could either fix my code 'grammar' or yell
    louder at my hosting company.

    The script was generated by ImageWalker.

    Thanks

    Murray

    murrayatuptowngallery, Feb 18, 2006

  2. murrayatuptowngallery

    McKirahan Guest

    "murrayatuptowngallery" <> wrote in message
    > I'm caught in a classic finger-pointing situation.
    >
    > My hosting company's server appears to be automatically inserting JS
    > tags into a JS-free html page ...

    [snip]

    I stopped reading your post after the above because:

    If you page is "JS-free" and there's JS in it when viewed then they did it!

    (If it's not "JS-free" than why claim that it is? How about a URL.)

    McKirahan, Feb 18, 2006

  3. Ah, you stopped reading before the URL...

    I meant there is no JS in it by design, until something corrupts it.
    There are a couple banner/link things that call cgi on other sites and
    I don't know what they have, but they have worked for years. The only
    thing that has changed is relocated to new server/plan at host co. and
    am experimenting with different image display pages that use JS (Image
    Walker software)

    www.uptowngallery.org
    (loads index.html by default)

    click on the large image to link to the first JS page or
    to get to it directly, www.uptowngallery.org/Tanis/index.html
    proper or not, I count on the index.html in a given directory loading
    by default (i.e., www.uptowngallery.org/Tanis/)

    Thanks

    Murray

    murrayatuptowngallery, Feb 18, 2006
  4. murrayatuptowngallery

    > Ah, you stopped reading before the URL...
    >
    > I meant there is no JS in it by design, until something corrupts it.
    > There are a couple banner/link things that call cgi on other sites and
    > I don't know what they have, but they have worked for years. The only
    > thing that has changed is relocated to new server/plan at host co. and
    > am experimenting with different image display pages that use JS (Image
    > Walker software)
    >
    > www.uptowngallery.org
    > (loads index.html by default)
    >
    > click on the large image to link to the first JS page or
    > to get to it directly, www.uptowngallery.org/Tanis/index.html
    > proper or not, I count on the index.html in a given directory loading
    > by default (i.e., www.uptowngallery.org/Tanis/)

    1) Your right frame isn't fully visible under 1024x768 even full screen!

    2) Change all references to
    <script language=javascript>
    <script type="text/javascript">

    3) "disable_right_click" doesn't do what it says.

    Try right-clicking and, while still holding the mouse button down,
    press Enter to clear the dialog -- see the context menu?

    Remove all of the following:

    function disable_right_click(e)
    {
    var browser = navigator.appName.substring ( 0, 9 );
    var event_number = 0;
    if (browser=="Microsoft")
    event_number = event.button;
    else if (browser=="Netscape")
    event_number = e.which;

    if ( event_number==2 || event_number==3 )
    {
    alert ("Right Mouse Button Is Disabled");
    return (false);
    }

    return (true);
    }
    function trap_images_mouse_events ()
    {
    if ( document.images )
    {
    for (var pic=0; pic<document.images.length; pic++)
    document.images[pic].onmousedown = disable_right_click;
    window.onload = trap_images_mouse_events;
    </script>

    and replace it with

    But that is canceled (or so I'm told) by visiting this link:

    javascript:void(document.oncontextmenu=null)

    Besides, all of the images are in the browser's cache.

    How To Block Right Click
    http://forums.aspfree.com/html-help-7/how-to-block-right-click-23799.html#po
    st193345

    McKirahan, Feb 18, 2006
  5. murrayatuptowngallery wrote:
    > I'm caught in a classic finger-pointing situation.
    >
    > My hosting company's server appears to be automatically
    > inserting JS tags into a JS-free html page that has an
    > image inked to a 2nd page with JS.

    <snip>
    > <script language='javascript'
    > src='http://127.0.0.1:1025/js.cgi?pcaw&r=19629'></script>
    >
    > </head>
    >
    > ...more html in the middle...
    >
    > end of the '1st' page has a second line inserted (sometimes
    > multiple appearances of this)
    > after the closing body & html tags
    >
    > <script language='javascript'>postamble();</script>

    <snip>

    These are the symptoms of a content inserting/re-writing proxy operating
    on _your_ computer. These proxies may take the form of Internet
    security/firewall software, add-blockers, etc (and may include some
    flavours of spy-ware).

    Richard.

    Richard Cornford, Feb 18, 2006
  6. Yeah, the right click block seemed kind of unpredictable to me...it was
    a checkbox option so I selected it . Not urgent.

    Proxy thing, that's interesting...I'll look into that.

    I think but have to verify that this problem appears regardless of
    which computer I access it from.

    Murray

    murrayatuptowngallery, Feb 20, 2006