Trying to make a basic Python score counter in a game... will not count.

Darrien Glasser

Hey guys, I'm working on a Python rock paper scissors (lizard spock) game, and the beginning is complete. After I finished it, I thought, "You know what? I think I can make this even better, and add a score counter." And so I did.

The problem is that it doesn't seem to actually keep track of score. In fact it always keeps the score at 0 for both players. It's fully functional otherwise, but it's bothering me that I can't get it to work.

Currently using Windows Python 32 bit v2.6.8

Download of the code here:

https://www.box.com/s/2lupxeyk5jvsxs0zkdfb

Copy of the code here:

http://pastebin.com/MNdgiuSY

Thanks in advance for your help...

Kwpolska

Hey guys, I'm working on a Python rock paper scissors (lizard spock) game, and the beginning is complete. After I finished it, I thought, "You know what? I think I can make this even better, and add a score counter." And so I did.

The problem is that it doesn't seem to actually keep track of score. In fact it always keeps the score at 0 for both players. It's fully functional otherwise, but it's bothering me that I can't get it to work.

Currently using Windows Python 32 bit v2.6.8

Download of the code here:

https://www.box.com/s/2lupxeyk5jvsxs0zkdfb

Copy of the code here:

http://pastebin.com/MNdgiuSY

Thanks in advance for your help...

winx = winx + 1
winy = winy + 1

PS. please do not use pastebin.com.

rurpy

Hey guys, I'm working on a Python rock paper scissors (lizard spock)
game, and the beginning is complete. After I finished it, I thought,
"You know what? I think I can make this even better, and add a score
counter." And so I did.

The problem is that it doesn't seem to actually keep track of score.
In fact it always keeps the score at 0 for both players. It's fully
functional otherwise, but it's bothering me that I can't get it to
work.

Currently using Windows Python 32 bit v2.6.8

Download of the code here:
https://www.box.com/s/2lupxeyk5jvsxs0zkdfb

Copy of the code here:
http://pastebin.com/MNdgiuSY

If you are keeping the score in 'winx 'and 'winy' then you are adding
one to the the values but not saving the results.

I think you want

winx = winx + 1

or more concisely,

winx += 1

tbg

Actually, I was just going to post that it wasn't saving the scores. Great timing, I'll try it.

tbg

If you are keeping the score in 'winx 'and 'winy' then you are adding

one to the the values but not saving the results.

I think you want

winx = winx + 1

or more concisely,

winx += 1

I changed it so that it said winx += 1 etc. and it doesn't seem to save it. I also tried pulling the variables from the loop and making them global variables at the top.

The latter game me a traceback error when printing out the results. Any ideas?

http://puu.sh/1BCbG

Code Preview/Download

https://www.box.com/s/jiu0259nohx0kae2am57

tbg

Put this on top of your function:

global winx, winy

PS. Why did you put those delays in? They are useless.

--

Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk>

stop html mail | always bottom-post

GPG KEY: 5EAAEA16

I figured it would be too much for the person playing the game. Getting attacked with lines of text and all. Although it is a pain developing with it.

And by the way, works perfectly now. Thanks for your help.

tbg

Put this on top of your function:

global winx, winy

PS. Why did you put those delays in? They are useless.

--

Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk>

stop html mail | always bottom-post

GPG KEY: 5EAAEA16

I figured it would be too much for the person playing the game. Getting attacked with lines of text and all. Although it is a pain developing with it.

And by the way, works perfectly now. Thanks for your help.

Mitya Sirenef

Hey guys, I'm working on a Python rock paper scissors (lizard spock) game, and the beginning is
complete. After I finished it, I thought, "You know what? I think I can
make this even better, and add a score counter." And so I did.
The problem is that it doesn't seem to actually keep track of score.
In fact it always keeps the score at 0 for both players. It's fully
functional otherwise, but it's bothering me that I can't get it to work.
Currently using Windows Python 32 bit v2.6.8

Download of the code here:

https://www.box.com/s/2lupxeyk5jvsxs0zkdfb

Copy of the code here:

http://pastebin.com/MNdgiuSY

Thanks in advance for your help...

I was actually thinking of making a simple rock paper scissors game so I
went ahead and cobbled it together, using a design with a class and
generally a structured approach.. It keeps the scores, too, and you can
set both players to be AI, or one to be AI, or both to be humans:

https://github.com/pythonbyexample/PBE/blob/master/code/rockpaper.py

(it needs python3 but can be easily changed to work with python2.x)

- mitya

tbg

complete. After I finished it, I thought, "You know what? I think I can

make this even better, and add a score counter." And so I did.

In fact it always keeps the score at 0 for both players. It's fully

functional otherwise, but it's bothering me that I can't get it to work.

I was actually thinking of making a simple rock paper scissors game so I

went ahead and cobbled it together, using a design with a class and

generally a structured approach.. It keeps the scores, too, and you can

set both players to be AI, or one to be AI, or both to be humans:

https://github.com/pythonbyexample/PBE/blob/master/code/rockpaper.py

(it needs python3 but can be easily changed to work with python2.x)

- mitya

Well there goes my hopes and dreams of being the first one to do that. Nice job by the way.

tbg

[...]

Well you were the first :) I just did it to illustrate a modular
approach, I think a
simple game like that is a great learning opportunity.

I posted an update with some small cleanups just now..