Trying to reproduce a table layout with CSS

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Deryck, Oct 8, 2004.

  1. Deryck

    Deryck Guest

    Hello,

    I'm trying to implement a page layout in CSS, a test version can be seen
    here:

    http://www.longhope.co.uk/tables_v_css/css.html

    The CSS may not be the best in the world but it almost has the same
    functionality as the tables version:

    http://www.longhope.co.uk/tables_v_css/tables.html

    ....except for when I reduce the width of the viewport. The tables version
    stays in a table (and a scrollbar appears), the CSS version moves down the
    screen to make use of the new shape of the viewport. This might be
    considered desirable since all the images in the table (which will be links)
    can still be seen and hence accessed. However it is considered ugly and
    since the page is unusable at the reduced width anyway the tables method of
    displaying at that width is considered preferable.

    The 2 versions can be seen side by side in firefox here:

    http://www.longhope.co.uk/tables_v_css/tables_v_css.jpg

    I have been trying to use white-space:nowrap to get the "tables effect" in
    the CSS but this hasnt worked. I am kinda stuck for ideas now. Any help with
    the CSS would be appreciated or is this a case for using tables?

    Both versions validate.

    TIA

    Deryck
    Deryck, Oct 8, 2004

  2. Deryck

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Oct 8, 2004

  3. Deryck

    Deryck Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message

    > http://moreshit.usenetshit.info/menu-thingy.shit

    Brucie, i want to have your babies! Thank you so much. I genuflect in your
    direction.

    > i would recommend against mixing case in file names

    The gifs? Yeah, I inherited them from a graphics designer. I'll sort the
    case out.

    Cheers

    Deryck
    Deryck, Oct 8, 2004
  4. Deryck

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Deryck wrote:

    > Brucie, i want to have your babies!

    Brucie, he's trying to kidnap your children! Lucky they're all hidden
    under the floorboards.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Oct 9, 2004
  5. Deryck

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Toby Inkster said:

    >> Brucie, i want to have your babies!

    > Brucie, he's trying to kidnap your children! Lucky they're all hidden
    > under the floorboards.

    i just bloody moved them from the garden[1], i don't want to have to
    move them again!

    [1] its getting hot and i didn't want them sunburnt.

    --
    l i t t l e v o i c e s
    brucie, Oct 9, 2004
  6. Deryck

    Jan Faerber Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    > Deryck wrote:
    >
    >> Brucie, i want to have your babies!

    > Brucie, he's trying to kidnap your children! Lucky they're all hidden
    > under the floorboards.

    He tries to explain something like this?:
    http://213.47.90.11/alt.html/cnn.html

    --
    Jan

    http://213.47.90.11