Trying to reproduce a table layout with CSS

Deryck

Hello,

I'm trying to implement a page layout in CSS, a test version can be seen
here:

http://www.longhope.co.uk/tables_v_css/css.html

The CSS may not be the best in the world but it almost has the same
functionality as the tables version:

http://www.longhope.co.uk/tables_v_css/tables.html

....except for when I reduce the width of the viewport. The tables version
stays in a table (and a scrollbar appears), the CSS version moves down the
screen to make use of the new shape of the viewport. This might be
considered desirable since all the images in the table (which will be links)
can still be seen and hence accessed. However it is considered ugly and
since the page is unusable at the reduced width anyway the tables method of
displaying at that width is considered preferable.

The 2 versions can be seen side by side in firefox here:

http://www.longhope.co.uk/tables_v_css/tables_v_css.jpg

I have been trying to use white-space:nowrap to get the "tables effect" in
the CSS but this hasnt worked. I am kinda stuck for ideas now. Any help with
the CSS would be appreciated or is this a case for using tables?

Both versions validate.

TIA

Deryck

brucie

In alt.html Toby Inkster said:
Brucie, he's trying to kidnap your children! Lucky they're all hidden
under the floorboards.

i just bloody moved them from the garden[1], i don't want to have to
move them again!

[1] its getting hot and i didn't want them sunburnt.