Trying to SNMP poll ifDescription

jackster the jackle

I'm using SNMP::Manager to poll some network devices. I can successfully
poll ifName, ifDescr but not ifDescription (iso.3.6.1.2.1.31.1.1.1.18)
for some reason. I believe I have the right oid here...maybe someone can
correct me if I'm wrong but I am trying to get the interface description
that was assigned by the administrator on the port of a Cisco switch.
ifDescr gives me the interface name assigned by Cisco (ex: fastethernet
0/1) but I need the description which usually contains the server name
assigned by the administrator of the server plugged into each port.

Any reason why ifDescription won't work in this situation?

thanks

jackster