trying to use gprof, program compiled with -pg dies immediately

Gumby

Is gprof on Solaris 9 X86 not as supported as Solaris 9 Sparc?

At work when we try to compile a program with -pg to use
gprof to performance profile our software, the compiled
app just dies instantly when it's started, no gmon.out
file is made and the core file can't be traced by ddd:

(it warns there's no symbols or no stack something like that).
We did remove /usr/lib from the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
substituted it with /usr/lib/libp as stated in the man
page for gprof. The Gcc version is 2.95.3

Soon we'll have 3.X to try and maybe a newer patched version
of Solaris 9. I noticed that when I did the same process
to a small test program I compiled on a Sparc machine, gprof
worked fine (Sun Solaris 9 Sparc on a Enterprise server),
produced a gmon.out file and I could run it thru gprof to
see the trace output.

Mark