Type-Def-ing Python

brianlum

Dear Python Community,

I have been trying to research how to type-def python. I want to
type-def python so that I can use it as a static analyzer to check for
bugs. I have been going over research on this field and I came upon
Brett Cannon's thesis in which he tweaks the compiler and shows that
type-defing python would not help the compiler achieve a 5% performace
increase.

Brett Cannon, "Localized Type Inference of Atomic Types in Python":
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~bac/thesis.pdf

I was wondering if anyone had his contact information so that I could
might ask him for his source code and try to use type-defing as a
bug-finder.

With thanks,
Brian

aurelien.campeas

If you are interested in static analysis for bug hunting purposes, then
you might want to have a look at Pylint.

Cheers,
Aurélien.

Alex Martelli

Brett Cannon's thesis in which he tweaks the compiler and shows that
type-defing python would not help the compiler achieve a 5% performace
increase.

Brett Cannon, "Localized Type Inference of Atomic Types in Python":
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~bac/thesis.pdf

I was wondering if anyone had his contact information so that I could
might ask him for his source code and try to use type-defing as a
bug-finder.

Brett is active on Python-Dev, so post there and you're likely to get a
response from him -- your subject is not OT for that list, anyway!

Alex

Aahz

Brett is active on Python-Dev, so post there and you're likely to get a
response from him -- your subject is not OT for that list, anyway!

Oh, so this is why we got an off-topic post on python-dev. Shouldn't you
have told him to use Google?... ;-)

Alex Martelli

Aahz said:
Oh, so this is why we got an off-topic post on python-dev. Shouldn't you
have told him to use Google?... ;-)

I don't think that applying type-inferencing to such task as debugging
(and possibly applying minor tweaks to Python to help out with that) is
OT for python-dev.

Alex