Type mismatch - using arrays and functions

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Laura, Jul 23, 2003.

  1. Laura

    Laura Guest

    Help. Below is my code. Getting Type mismatch error on
    the noted line. I'm trying to send an array (aryNewD)
    with 4 columns and x rows to a function to save all the
    array info into a SQL Server table via a stored
    procedure. Keep getting this error. Any suggestions?

    Code:
    'ASP:

    if blnNewD then
    dim blnWrite
    if fDisasterDescription_Write2(aryNewD) = 1
    then 'ERROR MESSAGE POINTS TO THIS LINE
    blnWrite = True
    else
    blnWrite = False
    end if
    if not blnWrite then blnValid = False
    if blnValid = False then
    response.write "An error has occured."
    response.end
    end if
    end if

    '---------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------
    'Function:

    function fDisasterDescription_Write2(aryNewD)

    dim conDisasterWaste, cmdDisasterWaste,
    blnCriticalError
    dim param1, param2, param3, param4, param5
    dim my_adCmdStoredProc, my_adChar, my_adInteger,
    my_adParamInput
    dim my_adSmallInt, my_adVarChar, my_adDate
    dim strTypeID, strDescription, strDate, intDisasterID

    my_adCmdStoredProc = &H0004
    my_adChar = 129
    my_adInteger = 3
    my_adParamInput = &H0001
    my_adSmallInt = 2
    my_advarchar = 200
    my_adDate = 7

    'Set the Connection Object

    set conDisasterWaste = server.createobject
    ("ADODB.Connection")

    conDisasterWaste.Open "database", "username", "password"

    'Run stored procedure

    set cmdDisasterWaste = server.CreateObject
    ("ADODB.Command")

    set cmdDisasterWaste.ActiveConnection =
    conDisasterWaste
    cmdDisasterWaste.CommandType = my_adCmdStoredProc
    cmdDisasterWaste.CommandText
    = "tf_insert_DisasterDescription"

    set param1 = cmdDisasterWaste.CreateParameter
    ("@idLandfill", my_adChar, my_adParamInput, 12)
    set param2 = cmdDisasterWaste.CreateParameter
    ("@typeID", my_adSmallint, my_adParamInput)
    set param3 = cmdDisasterWaste.CreateParameter
    ("@description", my_advarchar, my_adParamInput, 1000)
    set param4 = cmdDisasterWaste.CreateParameter("@date",
    my_adDate, my_adParamInput)
    set param5 = cmdDisasterWaste.CreateParameter
    ("@disasterid", my_adinteger, my_adParamInput)

    cmdDisasterWaste.Parameters.Append(param1)
    cmdDisasterWaste.Parameters.Append(param2)
    cmdDisasterWaste.Parameters.Append(param3)
    cmdDisasterWaste.Parameters.Append(param4)
    cmdDisasterWaste.Parameters.Append(param5)

    cmdDisasterWaste.Parameters("@idlandfill") = Session
    ("idlandfill")

    For i = 0 to ubound(aryNewD, 2)
    strTypeID = aryNewD(1, i)
    strDescription = aryNewD(3, i)
    strDate = aryNewD(2, i)
    intDisasterID = aryNewD(0, i)

    cmdDisasterWaste.Parameters("@typeID") = strTypeID
    cmdDisasterWaste.Parameters("@description") =
    strDescription
    cmdDisasterWaste.Parameters("@date") = strDate
    cmdDisasterWaste.Parameters("@disasterid") =
    intDisasterID

    cmdDisasterWaste.execute
    Next

    If Err.number = 0 then
    fDisasterDescription_Write2 = 1
    Else
    fDisasterDescription_Write2 = 2
    Response.Write(err.description & "<br>")
    end if

    set cmdDisasterWaste.ActiveConnection = Nothing
    set cmdDisasterWaste = Nothing

    conDisasterWaste.Close
    set conDisasterWaste = Nothing

    end function

    THANK YOU!

    Laura, Jul 23, 2003

  2. You should use the IsArray function to test that it is actually an array,
    before calling the function, or in the first part of the function.

    AspDotNetDeveloper, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Laura

    Laura Guest

    Even if I change the function to get rid of the database
    crap and simply be the following:

    function fDisasterDescription_write3(aryNewD)

    dim strTypeID, strDescription, strDate, intDisasterID

    fDisasterDescription_write3 = 2

    For i = 0 to ubound(aryNewD, 2)
    strTypeID = aryNewD(1, i)
    strDescription = aryNewD(3, i)
    strDate = aryNewD(2, i)
    intDisasterID = aryNewD(0, i)

    response.write strTypeID & ", " & strDescription
    & ", " & strDate & ", " & intDisasterID & "<br>"
    Next

    if err.number > 0 then
    fDisasterDescription_Write3 = 2
    else
    fDisasterDescription_Write3 = 1
    end if

    end function

    I still have the same type mismatch error. Help?

    >>> else

    -
    >---
    >>> -----------------------------
    >>> 'Function:
    >>>
    >>> function fDisasterDescription_Write2(aryNewD)
    >>>

    >>> dim conDisasterWaste, cmdDisasterWaste,
    >>> blnCriticalError
    >>> dim param1, param2, param3, param4, param5
    >>> dim my_adCmdStoredProc, my_adChar, my_adInteger,
    >>> my_adParamInput
    >>> dim my_adSmallInt, my_adVarChar, my_adDate
    >>> dim strTypeID, strDescription, strDate,

    >intDisasterID
    >>>
    >>> my_adCmdStoredProc = &H0004
    >>> my_adChar = 129
    >>> my_adInteger = 3
    >>> my_adParamInput = &H0001
    >>> my_adSmallInt = 2
    >>> my_advarchar = 200
    >>> my_adDate = 7
    >>>
    >>> 'Set the Connection Object
    >>>
    >>> set conDisasterWaste = server.createobject
    >>> ("ADODB.Connection")
    >>>

    >conDisasterWaste.Open "database", "username", "password"
    >>>
    >>> 'Run stored procedure
    >>>
    >>> set cmdDisasterWaste = server.CreateObject
    >>> ("ADODB.Command")
    >>>
    >>> set cmdDisasterWaste.ActiveConnection =
    >>> conDisasterWaste
    >>> cmdDisasterWaste.CommandType = my_adCmdStoredProc
    >>> cmdDisasterWaste.CommandText
    >>> = "tf_insert_DisasterDescription"
    >>>
    >>> set param1 = cmdDisasterWaste.CreateParameter
    >>> ("@idLandfill", my_adChar, my_adParamInput, 12)
    >>> set param2 = cmdDisasterWaste.CreateParameter
    >>> ("@typeID", my_adSmallint, my_adParamInput)
    >>> set param3 = cmdDisasterWaste.CreateParameter
    >>> ("@description", my_advarchar, my_adParamInput, 1000)
    >>> set param4 = cmdDisasterWaste.CreateParameter

    >("@date",
    >>> my_adDate, my_adParamInput)
    >>> set param5 = cmdDisasterWaste.CreateParameter
    >>> ("@disasterid", my_adinteger, my_adParamInput)
    >>>
    >>> cmdDisasterWaste.Parameters.Append(param1)
    >>> cmdDisasterWaste.Parameters.Append(param2)
    >>> cmdDisasterWaste.Parameters.Append(param3)
    >>> cmdDisasterWaste.Parameters.Append(param4)
    >>> cmdDisasterWaste.Parameters.Append(param5)
    >>>
    >>> cmdDisasterWaste.Parameters("@idlandfill") =

    Session
    >>> ("idlandfill")
    >>>
    >>> For i = 0 to ubound(aryNewD, 2)
    >>> strTypeID = aryNewD(1, i)
    >>> strDescription = aryNewD(3, i)
    >>> strDate = aryNewD(2, i)

    Laura, Jul 23, 2003
  4. Laura

    Mark Schupp Guest

    What happens if you set the function result to a variable

    dim code

    code = fDisasterDescription_Write2(aryNewD)
    Response.Write code

    --
    Mark Schupp
    --