typedef

Merrill & Michele

typedef struct
{
WORD versionNumber;
WORD offset;
}
MENUITEMTEMPLATEHEADER;

This is from vol 5 of unnamed platform's programmer's reference. I could
make this conforming by enclosing everything in a /*...*/ comment and
appending the 'hail world' code. Is there an easier, and, let's say, more
efficacious way to make this pass gcc with -ansi tag and no complaints? MPJ

dandelion

Merrill & Michele said:
typedef struct
{
WORD versionNumber;
WORD offset;
}
MENUITEMTEMPLATEHEADER;

This is from vol 5 of unnamed platform's programmer's reference. I could
make this conforming by enclosing everything in a /*...*/ comment and
appending the 'hail world' code. Is there an easier, and, let's say, more
efficacious way to make this pass gcc with -ansi tag and no complaints?
MPJ

typedef int WORD;

or

typedef unsigned int WORD;

Personally, i think of 'words' as unsigned, but i'm open to corrections.

Merrill & Michele

dandelion said:
MPJ

typedef int WORD;

or

typedef unsigned int WORD;

Personally, i think of 'words' as unsigned, but i'm open to corrections.

And where exactly do you put something like this so an OS can talk to ISO C
and vice versa. They teach different tools for hooking creatures like this
using Bjarne's paradigm. There has to be a way in C and my guess is that's
easy. MPJ

Bryan Bullard

dandelion said:
MPJ

typedef int WORD;

or

typedef unsigned int WORD;

Personally, i think of 'words' as unsigned, but i'm open to corrections.

Actually, this is probably what you are looking for:

typedef unsigned short WORD;

Alan Balmer

typedef struct
{
WORD versionNumber;
WORD offset;
}
MENUITEMTEMPLATEHEADER;

This is from vol 5 of unnamed platform's programmer's reference. I could
make this conforming by enclosing everything in a /*...*/ comment and
appending the 'hail world' code. Is there an easier, and, let's say, more
efficacious way to make this pass gcc with -ansi tag and no complaints? MPJ
The best way is to include the headers, presumably supplied by the
unnamed platform's implementation, which define WORD.

Merrill & Michele

Alan Balmer said:
The best way is to include the headers, presumably supplied by the
unnamed platform's implementation, which define WORD.

But those are going to include a lot of much less than standard stuff. But
if I get your meaning, I need to track down WORD. I MEANT to use an example
with a DWORD. Would that make a difference? MPJ

Bryan Bullard

Merrill & Michele said:
But those are going to include a lot of much less than standard stuff. But
if I get your meaning, I need to track down WORD. I MEANT to use an example
with a DWORD. Would that make a difference? MPJ

He's given you good advise. See windef.h

Alan Balmer

But those are going to include a lot of much less than standard stuff. But
if I get your meaning, I need to track down WORD. I MEANT to use an example
with a DWORD. Would that make a difference? MPJ
No. But what are you trying to accomplish? If you are trying to
actually compile a program on this platform, use the platform's
headers. If you're just trying to read the program, does the exact
definition of the type WORD really matter?

The above tells me that the author has invented a type named
MENUITEMTEMPLATEHEADER (terrible name, imo, but that's another
subject.) This type is a struct composed of two variables,
versionNumber and offset. I see no reason, at this point, to care what
type those variables are. In fact, there should be no reason even to
know what type MENUITEMTEMPLATEHEADER is composed of - it just gets
used when it's needed, and a good implementation would bury the
details where you don't need to see them, unless you are the author
that created it.

Zax

Alan Balmer said:
No. But what are you trying to accomplish? If you are trying to
actually compile a program on this platform, use the platform's
headers. If you're just trying to read the program, does the exact
definition of the type WORD really matter?

The above tells me that the author has invented a type named
MENUITEMTEMPLATEHEADER (terrible name, imo, but that's another
subject.) This type is a struct composed of two variables,
versionNumber and offset. I see no reason, at this point, to care what
type those variables are. In fact, there should be no reason even to
know what type MENUITEMTEMPLATEHEADER is composed of - it just gets
used when it's needed, and a good implementation would bury the
details where you don't need to see them, unless you are the author
that created it.

Believe it or not, MENUITEMTEMPLATEHEADER is a creature that I think ISO C
can reach with sufficient elbow grease. I'm gonna look through some
headers. MPJ

dandelion

Bryan Bullard said:
Actually, this is probably what you are looking for:

typedef unsigned short WORD;

Maybe. Depends on the definition of a 'word'. On a 80x86 you are right,
on a Z80 you are wrong.

dandelion

Merrill & Michele said:
And where exactly do you put something like this so an OS can talk to ISO C
and vice versa.

Given the fact ypu provided only a snippet w/o any OS, i would not know.

They teach different tools for hooking creatures like this

Richard Bos

dandelion said:
Maybe. Depends on the definition of a 'word'. On a 80x86 you are right,
on a Z80 you are wrong.

Which is exactly why both the question and your answer to it are
off-topic here.

A WORD is exactly what your program wants it to be; there is no such
thing in ISO C, and a conforming hosted compiler cannot define it.

Richard

Zax

Richard Bos said:
Which is exactly why both the question and your answer to it are
off-topic here.

A WORD is exactly what your program wants it to be; there is no such
thing in ISO C, and a conforming hosted compiler cannot define it.

Amd same is true for a DWORD? MPJ

Keith Thompson

A WORD is exactly what your program wants it to be; there is no such
thing in ISO C, and a conforming hosted compiler cannot define it.

Or a WORD can be what a system-specific library wants it to be.

Carlo

dandelion said:
ISO

Given the fact ypu provided only a snippet w/o any OS, i would not know.

They teach different tools for hooking creatures like this

Posted in the bublic domain my Merrill Jensen; legal copy. These header
files confuse me. I notice the first entity is ISO C, which would not be
altogether remarkable as it's a remark. I just don't get what isn't kosher
here. Carlo

*
*
*
* windef.h -- Basic Windows Type Definitions
*
*
*
* Copyright (c) 1985-1995, Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.
*
*
*
/

#ifndef _WINDEF_
#define _WINDEF_

#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C" {
#endif

#ifndef WINVER
#define WINVER 0x0400
#endif

/*
* BASETYPES is defined in ntdef.h if these types are already defined
*/

#ifndef BASETYPES
#define BASETYPES
typedef unsigned long ULONG;
typedef ULONG *PULONG;
typedef unsigned short USHORT;
typedef USHORT *PUSHORT;
typedef unsigned char UCHAR;
typedef UCHAR *PUCHAR;
typedef char *PSZ;
#endif /* !BASETYPES */

#define MAX_PATH 260

#ifndef NULL
#ifdef __cplusplus
#define NULL 0
#else
#define NULL ((void *)0)
#endif
#endif

#ifndef FALSE
#define FALSE 0
#endif

#ifndef TRUE
#define TRUE 1
#endif

#ifndef IN
#define IN
#endif

#ifndef OUT
#define OUT
#endif

#ifndef OPTIONAL
#define OPTIONAL
#endif

#undef far
#undef near
#undef pascal

#define far
#define near
#if (_MSC_VER >= 800) || defined(_STDCALL_SUPPORTED)
#define pascal __stdcall
#else
#define pascal
#endif

#ifdef DOSWIN32
#define cdecl _cdecl
#ifndef CDECL
#define CDECL _cdecl
#endif
#else
#define cdecl
#ifndef CDECL
#define CDECL
#endif
#endif

#if (_MSC_VER >= 800) || defined(_STDCALL_SUPPORTED)
#define CALLBACK __stdcall
#define WINAPI __stdcall
#define WINAPIV __cdecl
#define APIENTRY WINAPI
#define APIPRIVATE __stdcall
#define PASCAL __stdcall
#else
#define CALLBACK
#define WINAPI
#define WINAPIV
#define APIENTRY WINAPI
#define APIPRIVATE
#define PASCAL pascal
#endif

#define FAR far
#define NEAR near
#ifndef CONST
#define CONST const
#endif

typedef unsigned long DWORD;
typedef int BOOL;
typedef unsigned char BYTE;
typedef unsigned short WORD;
typedef float FLOAT;
typedef FLOAT *PFLOAT;
typedef BOOL near *PBOOL;
typedef BOOL far *LPBOOL;
typedef BYTE near *PBYTE;
typedef BYTE far *LPBYTE;
typedef int near *PINT;
typedef int far *LPINT;
typedef WORD near *PWORD;
typedef WORD far *LPWORD;
typedef long far *LPLONG;
typedef DWORD near *PDWORD;
typedef DWORD far *LPDWORD;
typedef void far *LPVOID;
typedef CONST void far *LPCVOID;

typedef int INT;
typedef unsigned int UINT;
typedef unsigned int *PUINT;

#ifndef NT_INCLUDED
#include <winnt.h>
#endif /* NT_INCLUDED */

/* Types use for passing & returning polymorphic values */
typedef UINT WPARAM;
typedef LONG LPARAM;
typedef LONG LRESULT;

#ifndef NOMINMAX

#ifndef max
#define max(a,b) (((a) > (b)) ? (a) : (b))
#endif

#ifndef min
#define min(a,b) (((a) < (b)) ? (a) : (b))
#endif

#endif /* NOMINMAX */

#define MAKEWORD(a, b) ((WORD)(((BYTE)(a)) | ((WORD)((BYTE)(b))) << 8))
#define MAKELONG(a, b) ((LONG)(((WORD)(a)) | ((DWORD)((WORD)(b))) <<
16))
#define LOWORD(l) ((WORD)(l))
#define HIWORD(l) ((WORD)(((DWORD)(l) >> 16) & 0xFFFF))
#define LOBYTE(w) ((BYTE)(w))
#define HIBYTE(w) ((BYTE)(((WORD)(w) >> 8) & 0xFF))

#ifndef WIN_INTERNAL
DECLARE_HANDLE (HWND);
DECLARE_HANDLE (HHOOK);
#endif

typedef WORD ATOM;

typedef HANDLE NEAR *SPHANDLE;
typedef HANDLE FAR *LPHANDLE;
typedef HANDLE HGLOBAL;
typedef HANDLE HLOCAL;
typedef HANDLE GLOBALHANDLE;
typedef HANDLE LOCALHANDLE;
typedef int (FAR WINAPI *FARPROC)();
typedef int (NEAR WINAPI *NEARPROC)();
typedef int (WINAPI *PROC)();

#ifdef STRICT
typedef void NEAR* HGDIOBJ;
#else
DECLARE_HANDLE(HGDIOBJ);
#endif

DECLARE_HANDLE(HACCEL);
DECLARE_HANDLE(HBITMAP);
DECLARE_HANDLE(HBRUSH);
#if(WINVER >= 0x0400)
DECLARE_HANDLE(HCOLORSPACE);
#endif /* WINVER >= 0x0400 */
DECLARE_HANDLE(HDC);
DECLARE_HANDLE(HGLRC); // OpenGL
DECLARE_HANDLE(HDESK);
DECLARE_HANDLE(HENHMETAFILE);
DECLARE_HANDLE(HFONT);
DECLARE_HANDLE(HICON);
DECLARE_HANDLE(HMENU);
DECLARE_HANDLE(HMETAFILE);
DECLARE_HANDLE(HINSTANCE);
typedef HINSTANCE HMODULE; /* HMODULEs can be used in place of
HINSTANCEs */
DECLARE_HANDLE(HPALETTE);
DECLARE_HANDLE(HPEN);
DECLARE_HANDLE(HRGN);
DECLARE_HANDLE(HRSRC);
DECLARE_HANDLE(HSTR);
DECLARE_HANDLE(HTASK);
DECLARE_HANDLE(HWINSTA);
DECLARE_HANDLE(HKL);

typedef int HFILE;
typedef HICON HCURSOR; /* HICONs & HCURSORs are polymorphic */

typedef DWORD COLORREF;
typedef DWORD *LPCOLORREF;

#define HFILE_ERROR ((HFILE)-1)

typedef struct tagRECT
{
LONG left;
LONG top;
LONG right;
LONG bottom;
} RECT, *PRECT, NEAR *NPRECT, FAR *LPRECT;

typedef const RECT FAR* LPCRECT;

typedef struct _RECTL /* rcl */
{
LONG left;
LONG top;
LONG right;
LONG bottom;
} RECTL, *PRECTL, *LPRECTL;

typedef const RECTL FAR* LPCRECTL;

typedef struct tagPOINT
{
LONG x;
LONG y;
} POINT, *PPOINT, NEAR *NPPOINT, FAR *LPPOINT;

typedef struct _POINTL /* ptl */
{
LONG x;
LONG y;
} POINTL, *PPOINTL;

typedef struct tagSIZE
{
LONG cx;
LONG cy;
} SIZE, *PSIZE, *LPSIZE;

typedef SIZE SIZEL;
typedef SIZE *PSIZEL, *LPSIZEL;

typedef struct tagPOINTS
{
SHORT x;
SHORT y;
} POINTS, *PPOINTS, *LPPOINTS;

/* mode selections for the device mode function */
#define DM_UPDATE 1
#define DM_COPY 2
#define DM_PROMPT 4
#define DM_MODIFY 8