Ugh! gem update -system broke something

Cs Webgrl

Hi.

I ran gem update -system to upgrade from 0.9.4 on a Linux machine and
now it's broken.

If I run gem -v, I can see that I have version 1.3.1

If I run rake gems:install, I get

'report_activate_error':Could not find RubyGem rake

Can someone offer some guidance for how to fix this?

I don't know what other details would be helpful. Rails is frozen in
the vendor folder. Do I need to create a symbolic link to fix this, add
a gem path or is a bigger problem?

THANKS!

Cs Webgrl

The problem turned out to be that the update reinstalled gems in a
different location than where the gems were installed. We needed to
reinstall gems again and this time it installed in the correct spot.

Giuseppe Bertini

Cs said:
The problem turned out to be that the update reinstalled gems in a
different location than where the gems were installed. We needed to
reinstall gems again and this time it installed in the correct spot.

Hello,
I seem to have stumbled into the same problem.
I have a number of gems installed on my Ubuntu box, and they all reside
in

/var/lib/gems/1.8/gems/

But after doing

$ sudo gem update --system

and successfully upgrading to v.1.3.1, suddenly gems are being looked
for in

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/

which is empty. In fact, doing

$ gem list

yielded ZERO gems. To test things, I then installed a new gem:

$ sudo gem install capistrano_colors

which succeeded. 'gem list' does report this one, and I found the
package in

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/

Cs Webgrl says they reinstalled all gems to make things work again, but
I wonder if there is a simpler, cleaner way to have the proper path
restored.

Thanks in advance!
Giuseppe