    (version 10) I get the following error "error reading however after
    processing 0 entries

    , May 16, 2006

  2. John Machin Guest

    Elric02 wrote:
    """
    I'm currently trying to get access to the Python source code, however
    whenever I try to extract the files using the latest version of WinZip
    (version 10) I get the following error "error reading however after
    processing 0 entries
    """

    I've managed to reproduce this behaviour:
    1. Browser = Firefox
    2. go to www.python.org
    3. click on quick links / source code [on the left side of the home
    page]
    4. Firefox pops up a box which says 'You have chosen to download
    blahblah.tar.bz2 which is a: WinZip File". [It is is gravely mistaken].

    5. The default presented is "open" (as opposed to save to disk).
    6. If you click on OK, you get "Error reading header [not 'however'!!]
    after 0 entries."

    In defense/mitigation of FireFox: IE is equally mistaken at step 4. At
    step 6, it doesn't complain but starts off downloading [painfully
    slowly]. I didn't wait around to find out what sort of error message
    ensued.

    So:
    (1) like I said in an earlier post, go for the .tgz file -- look for
    the line gzip-compressed source code: python-2.4.3.tgz
    on the home page
    (2) download the file, don't open archives online, even from trusted
    sources like python.org
    (3) understand that WinZip *does* handle .tar, .gz, .tar.gz, and .tgz
    files. It doesn't handle .bz2 files.
    (4) When asking a question, try stating what you have been doing, with
    some precision -- like in this case, *WHICH* archive and *HOW* ...

    John Machin, May 17, 2006

  3. On 16 May 2006 17:43:21 -0700, "John Machin" <>

    > 4. Firefox pops up a box which says 'You have chosen to download
    > blahblah.tar.bz2 which is a: WinZip File". [It is is gravely mistaken].

    My Firefox says:

    You have chosen to open
    **********.tar.bz2
    which is a: PowerArchiver TAR file

    I'd blame WinZip for claiming rights to files it can't read... I've
    been using PowerArchiver 6.11.0 (PA 2001) as it was the last freeware
    version of the utility I'd located. No problems reading the downloaded
    file...

    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG

    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
    (Bestiaria Support Staff: )
    HTTP://www.bestiaria.com/

    Dennis Lee Bieber, May 17, 2006
  4. John Machin Guest

    > I'd blame WinZip for claiming rights to files it can't read

    You are probably right ... however in Windows Explorer on my box, .bz2
    files have an "I don't know" type of icon, whereas .zip (of course(?))
    and .tgz and.tar.gz files have the WinZip vice-squeezing icon. Are
    there two different lists of what exe handles what extension??

    Cheers,
    John

    John Machin, May 17, 2006
  5. On 17 May 2006 05:50:06 -0700, "John Machin" <>

    > You are probably right ... however in Windows Explorer on my box, .bz2
    > files have an "I don't know" type of icon, whereas .zip (of course(?))
    > and .tgz and.tar.gz files have the WinZip vice-squeezing icon. Are
    > there two different lists of what exe handles what extension??

    Well, Firefox does have its internal list of "actions" -- but the
    only things that show up on mine is a list of things QuickTime thinks it
    can handle.

    Might still be worth checking the Windows file association list to
    see if WinZip has been connected to the bz2 type, even though no icon
    was connected.

    Dennis Lee Bieber, May 17, 2006