Unable to extract Python source code using Windows

Elric02

I'm currently trying to get access to the Python source code, however
whenever I try to extract the files using the latest version of WinZip
(version 10) I get the following error "error reading however after
processing 0 entries

John Machin

Elric02 wrote:
"""
I'm currently trying to get access to the Python source code, however
whenever I try to extract the files using the latest version of WinZip
(version 10) I get the following error "error reading however after
processing 0 entries
"""

I've managed to reproduce this behaviour:
1. Browser = Firefox
2. go to www.python.org
3. click on quick links / source code [on the left side of the home
page]
4. Firefox pops up a box which says 'You have chosen to download
blahblah.tar.bz2 which is a: WinZip File". [It is is gravely mistaken].

5. The default presented is "open" (as opposed to save to disk).
6. If you click on OK, you get "Error reading header [not 'however'!!]
after 0 entries."

In defense/mitigation of FireFox: IE is equally mistaken at step 4. At
step 6, it doesn't complain but starts off downloading [painfully
slowly]. I didn't wait around to find out what sort of error message
ensued.

So:
(1) like I said in an earlier post, go for the .tgz file -- look for
the line gzip-compressed source code: python-2.4.3.tgz
on the home page
(2) download the file, don't open archives online, even from trusted
sources like python.org
(3) understand that WinZip *does* handle .tar, .gz, .tar.gz, and .tgz
files. It doesn't handle .bz2 files.
(4) When asking a question, try stating what you have been doing, with
some precision -- like in this case, *WHICH* archive and *HOW* ...

Dennis Lee Bieber

4. Firefox pops up a box which says 'You have chosen to download
blahblah.tar.bz2 which is a: WinZip File". [It is is gravely mistaken].

My Firefox says:

You have chosen to open
**********.tar.bz2
which is a: PowerArchiver TAR file

I'd blame WinZip for claiming rights to files it can't read... I've
been using PowerArchiver 6.11.0 (PA 2001) as it was the last freeware
version of the utility I'd located. No problems reading the downloaded
file...

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

John Machin

I'd blame WinZip for claiming rights to files it can't read

You are probably right ... however in Windows Explorer on my box, .bz2
files have an "I don't know" type of icon, whereas .zip (of course(?))
and .tgz and.tar.gz files have the WinZip vice-squeezing icon. Are
there two different lists of what exe handles what extension??

Cheers,
John

Dennis Lee Bieber

You are probably right ... however in Windows Explorer on my box, .bz2
files have an "I don't know" type of icon, whereas .zip (of course(?))
and .tgz and.tar.gz files have the WinZip vice-squeezing icon. Are
there two different lists of what exe handles what extension??
Well, Firefox does have its internal list of "actions" -- but the
only things that show up on mine is a list of things QuickTime thinks it
can handle.

Might still be worth checking the Windows file association list to
see if WinZip has been connected to the bz2 type, even though no icon
was connected.