Unbreakable Java: A Java Server That Never Goes Down <--- technical question

Peter

Hi
This article http://www.sys-con.com/story/?storyid=47362&DE=1 told
me everything is processed inside one virtual machine running in one
operating system process, so there is no Isolation in Java. So Java is
not suitable for building high availability application. How can we
solve this question? How can we create processes into different VM and
let them communicate (isolation)?

If i run a program like "java -jar peter.jar" two times, are they
running into two different VM (two different OS process)?

thanks
from Peter ([email protected])

Chris Smith

Peter said:
This article http://www.sys-con.com/story/?storyid=47362&DE=1 told
me everything is processed inside one virtual machine running in one
operating system process, so there is no Isolation in Java. So Java is
not suitable for building high availability application.

That article is quite superficial and misleading. May I suggest that
you read:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/cluster-howto.html

for an example of how people are solving this problem quite well without
the JDJ author's rather extreme approach (rewriting the virtual machine
based on CDC!?!)
If i run a program like "java -jar peter.jar" two times, are they
running into two different VM (two different OS process)?

Yes, they are. No worries there. The JDJ author is worried about
server-side app frameworks such as servlet containers and EJB
containers, which can almost universally be clustered to achieve high
availability with no negative impact toward users.

Unfortuantely, some people see one way of doing things, get sold on it,
and then refuse to believe that any other possible answer is sufficient.
That appears to be the case here.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation