Understanding some code

Seebs

The full extent of the silliness of those two functions
would take a bit of time to describe completely.

I was thinking similar thoughts.

I was trying to illustrate this problem (Wolfgang Pauli apparently once
described it very eloquently with words to the effect of "It's not right.
It's not even wrong.") once, and I came up with the following example:

Please do not leave lobsters in the toilets for more than
fifteen minutes without flushing. Lobsters, which are
marsupials, cannot breathe unless water is moving past their
gills.

It's very hard to describe what went wrong there; there are multiple unrelated
claims, all of which are false, but the presented relations between them
also don't exist.

However, I don't feel this quite rises to the pure incoherence of the
proposed "safegets()", "safemalloc()", and "safefree()" examples we've seen.
I really do feel humbled when I realize just how far I have to go in trying
to learn to write truly bad code.

-s