understanding working of RTTI

dumboo

hi there
i just went through with C++ faq and faq lite, it was great, but i was not
able to find much information on working of RTTI how it is handled
internally, i tried google search with some general keywords...but not of
much help...

any suggestions ??

also any suggestions for understanding C++ in a better way :)

regards
-Dumboo

llewelly

dumboo said:
hi there
i just went through with C++ faq and faq lite, it was great, but i was not
able to find much information on working of RTTI how it is handled
internally, i tried google search with some general keywords...but not of
much help...

any suggestions ??

Read Stroustrup's _The C++ Programming Language_, 3rd or SE, section
15.4 .
also any suggestions for understanding C++ in a better way :)

Read the rest of the book. :)
If you are a beginner, or don't mind re-learning some
material. Koenig and Moo's _Accelerated C++_ is quite helpful.

tom_usenet

hi there
i just went through with C++ faq and faq lite, it was great, but i was not
able to find much information on working of RTTI how it is handled
internally, i tried google search with some general keywords...but not of
much help...

any suggestions ??

This book says quite a lot about how C++ is implemented. I haven't
read it but:
http://www.aw-bc.com/catalog/academic/product/0,4096,0201834545,00.html

In general, it is implemented by adding some type information to the
vtable of a class, as well as some code to "walk" the class heirarchy
for dynamic_cast.

Tom

C++ FAQ: http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/

Jonathan Turkanis

tom_usenet said:
This book says quite a lot about how C++ is implemented. I haven't
read it but:
http://www.aw-bc.com/catalog/academic/product/0,4096,0201834545,00.html

I have read it, and I would recommend it with these caveats:

1. The C++ implementation strategies discussed are probably not
exhaustive, since the book was written some time ago. (I don't know
for sure, since unfortunately I am not familiar with the internals of
current implementations.)
2. In some places, the author is careful to distinguish between what
the (then emerging) standard requires, and what particular
implementation do; in other places, he leaves the impression that the
Cfront 2.0 implementation is part of the standard.
3. There are a few mistakes and a lot of typos.

Jonathan