Unexpected Signal : 11

Discussion in 'Java' started by Swasil, Jan 12, 2004.

  1. Swasil

    Swasil Guest

    hi all,
    I got the following runtime error while executing my
    program---which is intended to be an RMI server program...
    The program sits listening for requests until a request is made...and
    as soon as request is rcvd .... it crashes giving the following
    error...

    ------------------------------------
    Unexpected Signal : 11 occurred at
    PC=0x402FB5EC
    Function = +0x18A5EC
    Library=/home/.../i386/client/libjvm.so

    Dynamic Libraries :

    Heap at VM Abort:

    ----------------------------

    My system config is ...
    OS:Linux
    Java version :1.4.2

    I have gone thru some postings regarding this error...and done many
    of the suggested things like

    - increasing the PermSize
    - changing the glibc version to 2.2.4
    and many others
    but no use...
    my program exits within 60-120 secs after rcvng a request...

    If anybody else has encounterd any similar thing plz throw some
    suggestion...
    thanking u in advance...

    swasil
    Swasil, Jan 12, 2004

  2. Swasil wrote:

    > hi all,
    > I got the following runtime error while executing my
    > program---which is intended to be an RMI server program...
    > The program sits listening for requests until a request is made...and
    > as soon as request is rcvd .... it crashes giving the following
    > error...
    >
    > ------------------------------------
    > Unexpected Signal : 11 occurred at
    > PC=0x402FB5EC
    > Function = +0x18A5EC
    > Library=/home/.../i386/client/libjvm.so

    Well, apparently there's a segfault in the JVM implementation. That's
    serious stuff. I'm not sure whether such a problem could have propagated
    from some JNI library, but I doubt it.

    It looks like either a bug in the JVM or a hardware problem;
    Faulty RAM can cause such behaviour. Try using a different JVM,
    if the same problem occurs and you don't use any weird JNI
    libraries, then it's probably the hardware.
    Michael Borgwardt, Jan 12, 2004

  3. On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:23:31 +0100, Michael Borgwardt <brazil@brazils-
    animeland.de> wrote:

    > Swasil wrote:
    >
    >> hi all,
    >> I got the following runtime error while executing my
    >> program---which is intended to be an RMI server program...
    >> The program sits listening for requests until a request is made...and
    >> as soon as request is rcvd .... it crashes giving the following
    >> error...
    >>
    >> ------------------------------------
    >> Unexpected Signal : 11 occurred at
    >> PC=0x402FB5EC
    >> Function = +0x18A5EC
    >> Library=/home/.../i386/client/libjvm.so

    > Well, apparently there's a segfault in the JVM implementation. That's
    > serious stuff. I'm not sure whether such a problem could have propagated
    > from some JNI library, but I doubt it.
    >
    > It looks like either a bug in the JVM or a hardware problem;
    > Faulty RAM can cause such behaviour. Try using a different JVM,
    > if the same problem occurs and you don't use any weird JNI
    > libraries, then it's probably the hardware.

    I had a similar problem a while back with object serialization. I was
    getting "unexpected signal 11" errors quite often while deserializing
    LinkedList objects, but could not manage to reproduce the problem. In
    frustation I finally upgraded the JVM (to 1.4.2_01) and *presto* the
    problem disappeared!
    Richard Chrenko, Jan 12, 2004