Unexpected Signal : 11

Swasil

hi all,
I got the following runtime error while executing my
program---which is intended to be an RMI server program...
The program sits listening for requests until a request is made...and
as soon as request is rcvd .... it crashes giving the following
error...

------------------------------------
Unexpected Signal : 11 occurred at
PC=0x402FB5EC
Function = +0x18A5EC
Library=/home/.../i386/client/libjvm.so

Dynamic Libraries :

Heap at VM Abort:

----------------------------

My system config is ...
OS:Linux
Java version :1.4.2

I have gone thru some postings regarding this error...and done many
of the suggested things like

- increasing the PermSize
- changing the glibc version to 2.2.4
and many others
but no use...
my program exits within 60-120 secs after rcvng a request...

If anybody else has encounterd any similar thing plz throw some
suggestion...
thanking u in advance...

swasil

Michael Borgwardt

Swasil said:
hi all,
I got the following runtime error while executing my
program---which is intended to be an RMI server program...
The program sits listening for requests until a request is made...and
as soon as request is rcvd .... it crashes giving the following
error...

------------------------------------
Unexpected Signal : 11 occurred at
PC=0x402FB5EC
Function = +0x18A5EC
Library=/home/.../i386/client/libjvm.so

Well, apparently there's a segfault in the JVM implementation. That's
serious stuff. I'm not sure whether such a problem could have propagated
from some JNI library, but I doubt it.

It looks like either a bug in the JVM or a hardware problem;
Faulty RAM can cause such behaviour. Try using a different JVM,
if the same problem occurs and you don't use any weird JNI
libraries, then it's probably the hardware.

Richard Chrenko

Well, apparently there's a segfault in the JVM implementation. That's
serious stuff. I'm not sure whether such a problem could have propagated
from some JNI library, but I doubt it.

It looks like either a bug in the JVM or a hardware problem;
Faulty RAM can cause such behaviour. Try using a different JVM,
if the same problem occurs and you don't use any weird JNI
libraries, then it's probably the hardware.

I had a similar problem a while back with object serialization. I was
getting "unexpected signal 11" errors quite often while deserializing
LinkedList objects, but could not manage to reproduce the problem. In
frustation I finally upgraded the JVM (to 1.4.2_01) and *presto* the
problem disappeared!