Unhandled Exceptions & Framesets

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by terry, Jul 2, 2003.

  1. terry

    terry Guest

    Hi,
    Question:
    When using Framesets and Server.Transfer in the
    Application_Error event handler is there a mechanism to
    get the error page to display in the total view of the
    browser not just in the offending frame?

    Overview:
    I have an application in which I am using framesets. When
    an Unhandled exception occurs I try to handle it
    gracefully by transfering to an error handling page as
    follows:

    Global.asax.cs...
    protected void Application_Error(Object sender, EventArgs
    e)
    {
    Server.Transfer("ErrorPage.aspx");
    }

    The problem is that the ErrorPage.aspx is only displayed
    in the offending frame not the complete window of the
    browser.

    Thanks in advance for your help!!!
    Terry

    terry, Jul 2, 2003

  2. Hi

    You have to return a client script that redirects

    <script language="JavaScript">
    top.location.href = "errorpage.aspx";
    </script>

    --
    Best Regards
    Vidar Petursson

    Vidar Petursson, Jul 2, 2003

  3. terry

    terry Guest

    Hi,

    I tried the following...

    web.config files contains the entry:
    <customErrors mode="On"></customErrors>

    global.asax contains the following:
    protected void Application_Error(Object sender, EventArgs
    e)
    {
    System.Web.UI.Page page = (System.Web.UI.Page)
    HttpContext.Current.Handler;
    string script = "<script>";
    script += "top.location.href =
    \"ErrorPage.aspx\";";
    script += "</script>";
    page.RegisterStartupScript("OnStartup", script);

    }

    The ErrorPage.aspx is not being displayed but I am instead
    receving the standard Microsoft error page as below:

    Runtime Error
    The current custom error settings for this application
    prevent the details of the application error from being
    viewed.

    Details: To enable the details of this specific error
    message to be viewable on the local server machine, please
    create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config"
    configuration file located in the root directory of the
    current web application. This <customErrors> tag should
    then have its "mode" attribute set to "RemoteOnly". To
    enable the details to be viewable on remote machines,
    please set "mode" to "Off".

    <!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

    <configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

    Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be
    replaced by a custom error page by modifying
    the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's
    <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom
    error page URL.

    <!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

    <configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="On"
    defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

    terry, Jul 2, 2003
  4. Hello Terry,
    To open the window you can use the following script on onload Event:

    <script>
    window.open (" ErrorPage.aspx", "newwin", "fullscreen="yes");
    window.opener = self;
    self.close();
    </script>

    You will use the same method by registering the Script using the
    page.RegisterStartupScript.
    The script will be in the ErrorPage.aspx that you are opening. This code
    will open a new window for the error message
    and close the one that has frame.

    For reference:

    onload Event
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/ref
    erence/events/onload.asp

    window Object
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/ref
    erence/objects/obj_window.asp

    open Method
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/ref
    erence/methods/open_0.asp

    Please let me know if this answers your question.

    Thanks,
    Bassel Tabbara
    Microsoft, ASP.NET

    --------------------

    Bassel Tabbara [MSFT], Jul 2, 2003
  5. terry

    terry Guest

    Hi Bassel,

    Thanks for your reply. I have not tried this yet but I
    want to make sure that we are both on the same page.

    My goal is that I have an application making use of
    Framesets. When an Unhandled exception occurs I would
    like to display a custom error page (a page I create) in
    the same browser as the original application but display
    in the full view of the browser not just in the offending
    frame (which appears to be the default). Will this
    accomplish this?

    Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.
    Terry

    confers no rights.

    >--------------------
    >| From: "terry" <>
    >| Sender: "terry" <>
    >| Subject: Re: Unhandled Exceptions & Framesets
    >| Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 10:53:42 -0700
    >| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

    >| Hi,
    >|
    >| I tried the following...
    >|
    >| web.config files contains the entry:
    >| <customErrors mode="On"></customErrors>
    >|
    >| global.asax contains the following:
    >| protected void Application_Error(Object sender,

    EventArgs
    >| e)
    >| {
    >| System.Web.UI.Page page = (System.Web.UI.Page)
    >| HttpContext.Current.Handler;
    >| string script = "<script>";
    >| script += "top.location.href =
    >| \"ErrorPage.aspx\";";
    >| script += "</script>";
    >| page.RegisterStartupScript("OnStartup", script);
    >|
    >| }
    >|

    >| The ErrorPage.aspx is not being displayed but I am

    instead
    >| receving the standard Microsoft error page as below:
    >|

    >| Runtime Error

    server.

    terry, Jul 2, 2003
  6. Hello Terry,
    Well you can put a link which specify to open the page in the same window
    as full opened in the same window.
    The method that I described earlier is that you need to open a new window
    since you have to use Window.Open.

    Please let me know if you are not satisfied with this solution.

    Thanks,
    Bassel Tabbara
    Microsoft, ASP.NET

    --------------------
    | From: "terry" <>
    | Sender: "terry" <>
    | Subject: Re: Unhandled Exceptions & Framesets
    | Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 14:05:51 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    |
    | Hi Bassel,
    |
    | Thanks for your reply. I have not tried this yet but I
    | want to make sure that we are both on the same page.
    |
    | My goal is that I have an application making use of
    | Framesets. When an Unhandled exception occurs I would
    | like to display a custom error page (a page I create) in
    | the same browser as the original application but display
    | in the full view of the browser not just in the offending
    | frame (which appears to be the default). Will this
    | accomplish this?
    |
    | Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.
    | Terry

    | >|
    | >| I tried the following...
    | >|
    | >| web.config files contains the entry:
    | >| <customErrors mode="On"></customErrors>
    | >|
    | >| global.asax contains the following:
    | >| protected void Application_Error(Object sender,
    | EventArgs
    | >| e)
    | >| {
    | >| System.Web.UI.Page page = (System.Web.UI.Page)
    | >| HttpContext.Current.Handler;
    | >| string script = "<script>";
    | >| script += "top.location.href =
    | >| \"ErrorPage.aspx\";";
    | >| script += "</script>";
    | >| page.RegisterStartupScript("OnStartup", script);
    | >|
    | >| }
    | >|
    | >|
    | >| The ErrorPage.aspx is not being displayed but I am
    | instead
    | >| receving the standard Microsoft error page as below:
    | >|
    | >|
    | >| Runtime Error
    | server.
    | >| The current custom error settings for this application
    | >| prevent the details of the application error from being
    | >| viewed.
    | >|
    | >| Details: To enable the details of this specific error
    | >| message to be viewable on the local server machine,
    | please
    | >| create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config"
    | >| configuration file located in the root directory of the
    | >| current web application. This <customErrors> tag should
    | >| then have its "mode" attribute set to "RemoteOnly". To
    | >| enable the details to be viewable on remote machines,
    | >| please set "mode" to "Off".
    | >|
    | >|
    | >| <!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->
    | >|
    | >| <configuration>
    | >| <system.web>
    | >| <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly"/>
    | >| </system.web>
    | >| </configuration>
    | >|
    | >|
    | >| Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be
    | >| replaced by a custom error page by modifying
    | >| the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's
    | >| <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom
    | >| error page URL.
    | >|
    | >|
    | >| <!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->