Unlikely differences between design time and run time.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Tzury Bar Yochay, Nov 26, 2003.

  1. Hello,

    I am facing a very serious problem during development of
    a new web application.

    When I a value for a property (Button.Text for example)
    is assigned at run time (via code execution) and the
    value is in Hebrew, Everything is fine. no matter where
    this value came from either by retriving it from databse
    or by writing it as constant in the code.
    BUT, when I define that value at the design time in the
    Properies Sheet, even though I see it correctly on the
    IDE. running the application from IE show unclear
    characters.

    I tried the code page and all his friends. but with no
    help.

    It must be somthing with the unicode definition and
    supporting at the new VStudio.

    Please help me for I must upload that site asap.
    Thanks - tzury

    Tzury Bar Yochay, Nov 26, 2003

  2. Hi Tzury,

    Thank you for posting to the MSDN newsgroups.

    Please select View -> Encoding->Unicode (UTF-8) in IE and test this issue
    again. I am not familiar with Hebrew but I have tested it with Chinese. It
    works on my side. I am using Windows XP Pro SP1 English/VS.NET 2003
    English/IE 6 SP1.

    I hope it helps.

    Best regards,

    Jacob Yang
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Jacob Yang [MSFT], Nov 27, 2003

  3. Dear Jacob,

    Be sure I tried those ways before aproaching the forums.
    Anyway, Thank you verymuch for your time.

    Tzury

    tzury Bar Yochay, Nov 27, 2003
  4. Hi Tzury,

    I have done more research regarding this issue and would like to share the
    following information with you.

    By default, .NET usually outputs contents in UTF-8 encoding format. If you
    want to work with Hebrew language, you should either set the
    responseEncoding property in web.config file to a Hebrew charset, or add a
    page directive to do the same, then save the .aspx page with the
    appropriate Hebrew encoding.

    As for the supported codepage and charset, please check the URL below:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/act/htm/act
    ml_ref_scpg.asp
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/ref
    erence/charsets/charset4.asp