unordered lists

sam

I have painted myself into a corner somewhat. I redefined <ul> early on
in the site design and now (not surprisingly) I need an ordinary <ul>.
Putting my old <ul>'s inside another class would be tedious and painful.
Does anyone know or could they point me to the default css values for
the <ul> tag? so I can re-create an ordinary <ul>.

sam

Mark Parnell

Does anyone know or could they point me to the default css values for
the <ul> tag? so I can re-create an ordinary <ul>.

Every browser has its own defaults, particularly for padding and
margins, so it's generally best to define it all yourself anyway.

Disco Octopus

sam said:
I have painted myself into a corner somewhat. I redefined <ul> early on
in the site design and now (not surprisingly) I need an ordinary <ul>.
Putting my old <ul>'s inside another class would be tedious and painful.
Does anyone know or could they point me to the default css values for
the <ul> tag? so I can re-create an ordinary <ul>.

sam

what I would probably do is some kind of search-n-replace for '<ul' to '<ul
class="thing"' in all my pages.
Then, I would change the ul entry in your css to ul.thing.

sam

Disco said:
sam wrote:

what I would probably do is some kind of search-n-replace for '<ul' to '<ul
class="thing"' in all my pages.
Then, I would change the ul entry in your css to ul.thing.
the problem is the ul entry in my css is filled with hacks and tied into
a javascript script. I could do it, but I would rather not. I also
realize all browsers do it differently, but I was looking for what the
standard says on the issue, but I can't find it.

sam

Mark Parnell

I also
realize all browsers do it differently, but I was looking for what the
standard says on the issue, but I can't find it.

The HTML specs state that <ul> *is* an unordered list, but doesn't
specify how user-agents should display it.

The CSS specs say what the defaults are for the list-style-* rules:
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/generate.html#lists

But beyond that, it's up to each browser maker.

Mark Parnell

Would anyone know where to find, say, firefox's specs for the ul?

The DOM Inspector. (Ctrl+Shift+I)

display: block;
list-style-type: disc;
margin: 1em 0;

sam

Leif said:
resource://gre/res/html.css
ok this is turning out to be a bigger nightmare than the original
alternative that I had initially rejected.

something's missing. I've just copied and pasted all the css related to
lists from the page above and my list's don't even remotely work
correctly. oh well. thanks. at least a learned a little something in the
process.

sam