Unreadable xml files

Oldrider

Folks, apologies upfront if this issue is too trivial. I have
absolutely no experiencee with xml.

I tried to load a PVR program for a TV tuner card (Avermedia) form the
original CD. I have a clean XPSP2 with IE7. Java version is 1.6.0_03
from Sun. Dot Net version is 2.0.50727.

I have noticed that the xml files containing the frequency tables
located in C:\Program Files\AVerTV Hybrid + FM Cardbus\native is
unreadable. I believe this xml file contains the country frequency
tables.

This is the error message I get when I try to open the xml file in
IE7.
----------------------------------­---------------------------------------------
The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and
then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

An invalid character was found in text content. Error processing
resource 'file:///C:/Documents and Settings/My Documents...

˹,T~

----------------------------------­
I have also tried to open the files using XML editors and Notepad.

In fact, all the xml files in that folder are unreadable.

Other unrelated xml files are all fine and can be opened in IE7.

This is the output and error message in get from XML shell 1.5

An invalid character was foudn in text content Line:1 Pos:3

˹,T~âóãAû>r‰FôUh ¯m›Tø?¬à ºtÿX·òæžsO£§}cè£NR·Ã —
ùÅ wü½ÂÀJN,?ö

I have e-mailed Avermedia support but no response for the last 4
weeks.

Can someone please advise as to what I can do to resolve this

Thanks in advance, OR

Joe Kesselman

An invalid character was foudn in text content Line:1 Pos:3
˹,T~âóãAû>r‰FôUh ¯m›Tø?¬à ºtÿX·òæžsO£§}cè£NR·Ã —
ùÅ wü½ÂÀJN,?ö

Whatever that is, it isn't XML. Are you opening the right file? Are you
sure it's *supposed* to be XML?

Ask the manufacturer.

Oldrider

Joe; I am opening the right files and if there was a way to attach the
files, I would so that you could open the file. As I said the xml
files are loaded on as part of the program

As you can see from my message, the manufacturer, Avermedia, is
absolutely useless in responding

I am finding this extremely frustating

Cheers, OR

Bjoern Hoehrmann

* Oldrider wrote in comp.text.xml:
I have noticed that the xml files containing the frequency tables
located in C:\Program Files\AVerTV Hybrid + FM Cardbus\native is
unreadable. I believe this xml file contains the country frequency
tables.

If they were you should not have problems loading them, so your
assumption appears to be incorrect. The documents might not be
XML at all (even if they have a .xml file name extension), or
they could be compressed or encrypted, you would have to find
out what they are before you can process them any further.

Oldrider

The documents might not be XML at all (even if they have a .xml file name extension), or
they could be compressed or encrypted, you would have to find
out what they are before you can process them any further.
-------------------------------

Bjoern, there are other files in that folder which relate to satellite
frequencies and they can be read as can the index file for all
countries. There is also another file in the directory called
iso639-3.map.

If it is OK with you, may be I can zip and send you some files

Thanks, OR

Joe Kesselman

Oldrider said:
Joe; I am opening the right files and if there was a way to attach the
files, I would so that you could open the file. As I said the xml
files are loaded on as part of the program

As I and others have said: In that case they aren't XML, or at best are
XML that has been compressed in some way. Unless you can figure out the
actual data representation, you're dead in the water.

Oldrider

Folks, today, I loaded the program on another machine with xpsp2/
ie7...the xml files are readable.

Why then are they not readable on my machine.

Frustated,OR

Joe Kesselman

Oldrider said:
Why then are they not readable on my machine.

Most likely you misloaded them on your machine. Try wiping them out and

Either that, or you aren't actually reading the files you think you're
reading.

To give you a more useful answer, I'd need to actually have my hands on
your machine.