Unreadable xml files

Discussion in 'XML' started by Oldrider, Dec 1, 2007.

  1. Oldrider

    Oldrider Guest

    Folks, apologies upfront if this issue is too trivial. I have
    absolutely no experiencee with xml.

    I tried to load a PVR program for a TV tuner card (Avermedia) form the
    original CD. I have a clean XPSP2 with IE7. Java version is 1.6.0_03
    from Sun. Dot Net version is 2.0.50727.

    I have noticed that the xml files containing the frequency tables
    located in C:\Program Files\AVerTV Hybrid + FM Cardbus\native is
    unreadable. I believe this xml file contains the country frequency
    tables.

    This is the error message I get when I try to open the xml file in
    IE7.
    ----------------------------------­---------------------------------------------
    The XML page cannot be displayed
    Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and
    then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

    An invalid character was found in text content. Error processing
    resource 'file:///C:/Documents and Settings/My Documents...

    ˹,T~

    ----------------------------------­
    I have also tried to open the files using XML editors and Notepad.

    In fact, all the xml files in that folder are unreadable.

    Other unrelated xml files are all fine and can be opened in IE7.

    This is the output and error message in get from XML shell 1.5

    An invalid character was foudn in text content Line:1 Pos:3

    ˹,T~âóãAû>r‰FôUh ¯m›Tø?¬à ºtÿX·òæžsO£§}cè£NR·Ã —
    ùÅ wü½ÂÀJN,?ö

    I have e-mailed Avermedia support but no response for the last 4
    weeks.

    Can someone please advise as to what I can do to resolve this

    Thanks in advance, OR

    Oldrider, Dec 1, 2007

  2. > An invalid character was foudn in text content Line:1 Pos:3

    > ˹,T~âóãAû>r‰FôUh ¯m›Tø?¬à ºtÿX·òæžsO£§}cè£NR·Ã —
    > ùÅ wü½ÂÀJN,?ö

    Whatever that is, it isn't XML. Are you opening the right file? Are you
    sure it's *supposed* to be XML?

    Ask the manufacturer.

    Joe Kesselman, Dec 1, 2007

  3. Oldrider

    Oldrider Guest

    Joe; I am opening the right files and if there was a way to attach the
    files, I would so that you could open the file. As I said the xml
    files are loaded on as part of the program

    As you can see from my message, the manufacturer, Avermedia, is
    absolutely useless in responding

    I am finding this extremely frustating

    Cheers, OR

    Oldrider, Dec 1, 2007
  4. * Oldrider wrote in comp.text.xml:
    >I have noticed that the xml files containing the frequency tables
    >located in C:\Program Files\AVerTV Hybrid + FM Cardbus\native is
    >unreadable. I believe this xml file contains the country frequency
    >tables.

    If they were you should not have problems loading them, so your
    assumption appears to be incorrect. The documents might not be
    XML at all (even if they have a .xml file name extension), or
    they could be compressed or encrypted, you would have to find
    out what they are before you can process them any further.

    Bjoern Hoehrmann, Dec 1, 2007
  5. Oldrider

    Oldrider Guest

    On Dec 1, 6:18 pm, Bjoern Hoehrmann <> wrote:
    > The documents might not be XML at all (even if they have a .xml file name extension), or
    > they could be compressed or encrypted, you would have to find
    > out what they are before you can process them any further.
    > -------------------------------

    Bjoern, there are other files in that folder which relate to satellite
    frequencies and they can be read as can the index file for all
    countries. There is also another file in the directory called
    iso639-3.map.

    If it is OK with you, may be I can zip and send you some files

    Thanks, OR

    Oldrider, Dec 1, 2007
  6. Oldrider wrote:
    > Joe; I am opening the right files and if there was a way to attach the
    > files, I would so that you could open the file. As I said the xml
    > files are loaded on as part of the program

    As I and others have said: In that case they aren't XML, or at best are
    XML that has been compressed in some way. Unless you can figure out the
    actual data representation, you're dead in the water.

    Joe Kesselman, Dec 1, 2007
  7. Oldrider

    Oldrider Guest

    Folks, today, I loaded the program on another machine with xpsp2/
    ie7...the xml files are readable.

    Why then are they not readable on my machine.

    Frustated,OR

    Oldrider, Dec 2, 2007
  8. Oldrider wrote:
    > Why then are they not readable on my machine.

    Most likely you misloaded them on your machine. Try wiping them out and

    Either that, or you aren't actually reading the files you think you're
    reading.

    To give you a more useful answer, I'd need to actually have my hands on
    your machine.

    Joe Kesselman, Dec 2, 2007