Unreasonable memory usage under linux with a simple loop

ming_cuhk

Hi all, I'm new to here and python.
When I tried the code below to test python's speed...
I found that python use more than 1.5G memory to run this and cost
several minutes.... And this happened only under my linux os. Both
jython and python... Is there something wrong with python under linux
or my code?
Thanks!

a = 0
for i in range(100000000):
a = a + 1
print a

Michele Simionato

Hi all, I'm new to here and python.
When I tried the code below to test python's speed...
I found that python use more than 1.5G memory to run this and cost
several minutes.... And this happened only under my linux os. Both
jython and python...  Is there something wrong with python under linux
or my code?
Thanks!

a = 0
for i in range(100000000):
    a = a + 1
print a

This is fixed in Python 3.0. In older Python versions, use
xrange instead of range.

Michele Simionato

Thanks! But this isn't appear in MAC and Windows~?

It should happen on all platforms, since you are building
a list with 100 millions of integers, which is quite large,
especially if you are running on a 64 bit OS.

ming_cuhk

It should happen on all platforms, since you are building
a list with 100 millions of integers, which is quite large,
especially if you are running on a 64 bit OS.

You are right...Thanks.... Since my MAC have too much RAM..I didn't
notice it....