update my gems this morning ;(

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Ernst Tanaka, Jun 10, 2008.

  1. Ernst Tanaka

    Ernst Tanaka Guest

    I seem to regret updating my gems this morning.
    I had to, because I was running behind in fxruby.
    But now I am getting the following error.
    Tried to roll back some update but no result so far.
    I can do with a hand.

    I appreciate all the help on this forum

    Ernst

    This the error;
    -------------------------
    C:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:49:in `activate': wrong
    number of arguments (1 for 2) (ArgumentError)

    from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:49:in `gem'

    from
    C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:226:in
    `establish_connection'

    from C:/rubydev/ch06/monitor/trade.rb:14
    -----------------------
    This is line 14:

    ActiveRecord::Base.establish_connection(
    :adapter => 'mysql',
    :database => 'monitor_production',
    :username => 'root',
    :password =>'*****',
    :host => 'localhost')
    ______________________________

    Here is the list of my current gem versions.
    actionmailer (2.1.0, 2.0.1, 1.3.3)
    actionpack (2.1.0, 2.0.1, 1.13.6, 1.13.3)
    actionwebservice (1.2.6, 1.2.3)
    activerecord (2.1.0, 1.15.3)
    activeresource (2.1.0)
    activesupport (2.1.0, 1.4.4, 1.4.2)
    ajax_scaffold (1.0.0)
    builder (2.1.2)
    fxri (0.3.6)
    fxruby (1.6.15, 1.6.13, 1.6.6)
    hoe (1.5.3, 1.3.0)
    hpricot (0.6, 0.5, 0.4)
    inspectorgadget (0.0.1)
    linecache (0.42)
    log4r (1.0.5)
    mechanize (0.7.6, 0.6.10)
    mysql (2.7.3)
    ParseTree (2.2.0, 2.0.2, 1.7.1)
    ParseTreeReloaded (0.0.1)
    rails (2.1.0, 1.2.3)
    rake (0.8.1, 0.7.3)
    ruby-debug-base (0.10.1, 0.10.0, 0.9.3)
    ruby-debug-ide (0.1.10, 0.1.9)
    ruby2ruby (1.1.9, 1.1.6)
    rubyclr (0.5.2)
    rubyforge (1.0.0, 0.4.4)
    rubygems-update (1.1.1)
    RubyInline (3.6.3)
    RubyInlineAcceleration (0.0.1)
    scrubyt (0.3.4)
    sources (0.0.1)
    sqldsl (1.4.6)
    text-format (1.0.0)
    text-hyphen (1.0.0)
    win32-api (1.0.6)
    win32-clipboard (0.4.3, 0.4.1)
    win32-dir (0.3.2, 0.3.1)
    win32-eventlog (0.4.8, 0.4.3)
    win32-file (0.5.5, 0.5.3)
    win32-file-stat (1.2.7, 1.2.3)
    win32-process (0.5.8, 0.5.1, 0.5.0)
    win32-sapi (0.1.4, 0.1.3)
    win32-sound (0.4.1, 0.4.0)
    windows-api (0.2.3)
    windows-pr (0.8.5, 0.6.2)
    yahoo-finance (0.0.2)

    -------------- line 1 to 13 ---------
    require 'fox16'
    include Fox
    require 'tk'
    require 'rubygems'
    require 'active_record'
    require 'date'
    require 'monitor_schema' #database schema
    require 'trademonitor' #mainwindow
    require 'scrubyt'
    extend Tk
    extend TkWinDDE
    ActiveRecord::Base.logger = Logger.new('c:/sqllog.txt')

    Ernst Tanaka, Jun 10, 2008

  2. Ernst Tanaka

    Ernst Tanaka Guest

    I found the solution.
    I like Ruby on most days.
    But sometimes it surprises me.
    Like today.

    The solution was changing the order of the require statements :(

    The old order worked for months!!!

    If someone could comment, that would be appreciated.

    Thks
    Ernst

    ---- the working order is ----
    require 'tk'
    require 'active_record'
    require 'rubygems'
    require 'date'

    Ernst Tanaka, Jun 10, 2008

  3. Ernst Tanaka

    Eric Hodel Guest

    On Jun 10, 2008, at 10:29 AM, Ernst Tanaka wrote:

    > I found the solution.
    > I like Ruby on most days.
    > But sometimes it surprises me.
    > Like today.
    >
    > The solution was changing the order of the require statements :(
    >
    > The old order worked for months!!!
    >

    > If someone could comment, that would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thks
    > Ernst
    >

    > ---- the working order is ----
    > require 'active_record'
    > require 'rubygems'

    Likely you upgraded to an API-incompatible version of activerecord.

    `gem list activerecord` will show you which versions you have
    installed. You could either uninstall the offending version, or do
    this:

    require 'rubygems'

    gem 'activerecord', 'second-oldest-version-you-have-in-your-list'

    require 'active_record'

    Eric Hodel, Jun 10, 2008