Update SqlDataSource with value of DropDownList in EditTemplate on GridView

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by ES, Jun 16, 2006.

  1. ES

    ES Guest

    Hello,
    I have a GridView with a DropDownList in the EditTemplate of one if my columns. I've got the drop down displaying the correct data, but need to do an update when the user changes the value and updates the row. I'm having difficulty getting the GridView's SqlDataSource UpdateParameter to see the DropDownList. Here is how it's set up:

    <asp:SqlDataSource runat="server" ID="SqlData1" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:myconn%>"
    SelectCommand="..."
    DeleteCommand="..."
    InsertCommand="...
    UpdateCommand="Update SalesRegion Set SalesRegionTypeID = @SalesRegionTypeID, SalesRegionCD = @SalesRegionCD, SalesRegion = @SalesRegion Where SalesRegionID = @SalesRegionID"

    <DeleteParameters>
    <asp:parameter Type="int32" Name="SalesRegionID" />
    </DeleteParameters>

    <UpdateParameters>
    <asp:parameter Type="int32" Name="SalesRegionID" />
    <asp:parameter Type="string" Name="SalesRegionCD" />
    <asp:parameter Type="string" Name="SalesRegion" />
    <asp:ControlParameter ControlID="dlRepType" Type="string" PropertyName="SelectedValue" Name="SalesRegionTypeID" />
    </UpdateParameters>

    </asp:SqlDataSource>

    <asp:GridView runat="server" ID="GV" DataSourceID="SqlData1" AutoGenerateColumns="false"
    DataKeyNames="SalesRegionID" HeaderStyle-CssClass="GVHead" RowStyle-CssClass="GVBody"
    EditRowStyle-CssClass="GVBodyEdit" CssClass="GV" AutoGenerateEditButton="true"

    <Columns>
    <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Rep Type">
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label Text='<%#Eval("SalesRegionType") %>' runat="server" />
    </ItemTemplate>
    <EditItemTemplate>
    <asp:DropDownList ID="dlRepType" runat="server" DataSourceID="sdRepType" DataTextField="SalesRegionType"
    DataValueField="SalesRegionTypeID" SelectedValue='<%#Bind("SalesRegionTypeID") %>' />
    </EditItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateField>
    </Columns>
    </asp:GridView>
    When update is clicked, the page throws
    System.InvalidOperationException: Could not find control 'dlRepType' in ControlParameter 'SalesRegionTypeID'.

    Any idea how to link this drop down to the update?

    Thanks,

    EE
    ES, Jun 16, 2006