    processing file that adds the protocol+domain. Anyway, these appear to
    not be occurring, which is subject for another thread (soon).

    Garrett

    Garrett Smith, May 24, 2009

  2. Garrett Smith

    David Mark Guest

    Re: Update to FAQ - Relative URLs for In-page Links and Links toNotes

    On May 24, 2:12 pm, Garrett Smith <> wrote:
    > As I said I would do a few days ago, I have changed the FAQ use relative
    > URLs for links to the faq_notes and in-page faq fragment links.

    Where is the link to the notes?

    [snip]

    David Mark, May 24, 2009

  3. Re: Update to FAQ - Relative URLs for In-page Links and Links toNotes

    David Mark wrote:
    > On May 24, 2:12 pm, Garrett Smith <> wrote:
    >> As I said I would do a few days ago, I have changed the FAQ use relative
    >> URLs for links to the faq_notes and in-page faq fragment links.

    > Where is the link to the notes?

    The _links_ are Where they were before. Can't you read?

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, May 24, 2009
  4. Garrett Smith

    David Mark Guest

    Re: Update to FAQ - Relative URLs for In-page Links and Links toNotes

    On May 24, 3:36 pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <>
    wrote:
    > David Mark wrote:
    > > On May 24, 2:12 pm, Garrett Smith <> wrote:
    > >> As I said I would do a few days ago, I have changed the FAQ use relative
    > >> URLs for links to the faq_notes and in-page faq fragment links.

    > > Where is the link to the notes?

    > The _links_ are Where they were before.  Can't you read?

    We've established *I* can read. Need I remind you?

    Never mind the _links_, where is the link to the notes? Thanks.

    David Mark, May 24, 2009
  5. Re: Update to FAQ - Relative URLs for In-page Links and Links toNotes

    David Mark wrote:
    > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
    >> David Mark wrote:
    >>> Where is the link to the notes?

    >> The _links_ are Where they were before. Can't you read?
    >>

    > We've established *I* can read. Need I remind you?

    Yes, please, I don't remember.

    > Never mind the _links_, where is the link to the notes? Thanks.

    Ah, *that*. The link is where it was before.

    HTH

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, May 24, 2009
  6. Garrett Smith

    David Mark Guest

    Re: Update to FAQ - Relative URLs for In-page Links and Links toNotes

    On May 24, 3:52 pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <>
    wrote:
    > David Mark wrote:
    > > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
    > >> The _links_ are Where they were before.  Can't you read?

    > > We've established *I* can read.  Need I remind you?

    > Yes, please, I don't remember.

    Lahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnn!

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/browse_thread/thread/9b2969ee9f038302#

    > > Never mind the _links_, where is the link to the notes?  Thanks.

    > Ah, *that*.  The link is where it was before.

    Thanks for that.

    > HTH

    Hope springs eternal.

    David Mark, May 24, 2009
  7. Re: Update to FAQ - Relative URLs for In-page Links and Links toNotes

    David Mark wrote:
    > On May 24, 3:52 pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <>
    > wrote:
    >> David Mark wrote:
    >>> We've established *I* can read. Need I remind you?

    >> Yes, please, I don't remember.

    > Lahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnn!

    You got it all wrong, Mark. My last name is spelled with a single `h' and a
    single `n'. Really.

    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/browse_thread/thread/9b2969ee9f038302#

    Your Irony Detector[tm] is borken.

    >>> Never mind the _links_, where is the link to the notes? Thanks.

    >> Ah, *that*. The link is where it was before.

    > Thanks for that.

    You're welcome.

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, May 24, 2009
  8. Re: Update to FAQ - Relative URLs for In-page Links and Links toNotes

    David Mark wrote:
    > On May 24, 2:12 pm, Garrett Smith <> wrote:
    >> As I said I would do a few days ago, I have changed the FAQ use relative
    >> URLs for links to the faq_notes and in-page faq fragment links.

    > Where is the link to the notes?

    The FAQ links to the notes on the word "notes", in the text:

    | For additional explanation and detail relating to some aspects of the
    | FAQ, please see the FAQ Notes.

    Instead of linking to jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes, or www., the link now
    has a relative path.

    In addition, there are (AYK), specific pages of the notes are linked
    from within the FAQ.

    Garrett

    Garrett Smith, May 25, 2009
  9. Garrett Smith

    On May 24, 8:02 pm, Garrett Smith <> wrote:
    > David Mark wrote:
    > > On May 24, 2:12 pm, Garrett Smith <> wrote:
    > >> As I said I would do a few days ago, I have changed the FAQ use relative
    > >> URLs for links to the faq_notes and in-page faq fragment links.

    > > Where is the link to the notes?

    > The FAQ links to the notes on the word "notes", in the text:
    >
    > | For additional explanation and detail relating to some aspects of the
    > | FAQ, please see the FAQ Notes.

    What column and row again?

    > Instead of linking to jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes, or www., the link now
    > has a relative path.

    Good.

    > In addition, there are (AYK), specific pages of the notes are linked
    > from within the FAQ.

    What I am getting at is that the Notes link should be more prominent.

    David Mark, May 25, 2009
  10. Re: Update to FAQ - Relative URLs for In-page Links and Links toNotes

    David Mark wrote:
    > On May 24, 8:02 pm, Garrett Smith <> wrote:
    >> David Mark wrote:
    >>> On May 24, 2:12 pm, Garrett Smith <> wrote:

    >> Instead of linking to jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes, or www., the link now
    >> has a relative path.

    > Good.

    Less load on Jim's server.

    >> In addition, there are (AYK), specific pages of the notes are linked
    >> from within the FAQ.

    > What I am getting at is that the Notes link should be more prominent.

    How about a link at the top of the page, just the h1
    "comp.lang.javascript FAQ" ?

    | comp.lang.javascript FAQ
    | FAQ Notes
    |
    | Version 14, Updated May 24, 2009 by Jorge Chamorro

    With the text "FAQ Notes" being a link to faq_notes/faq_notes.html.

    LInks to the notes default page should link to the path, and let the
    server return the default page (index.html here), but for the purpose of
    solving only this problem (and not opening a can), we'll leave it
    linking to the current "faq_notes.html".

    So, what about that proposal? Like it, or do you have a better one?

    Garrett

    Garrett Smith, May 25, 2009
  11. Re: Update to FAQ - Relative URLs for In-page Links and Links toNotes

    Conrad Lender wrote:
    > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
    >> David Mark wrote:
    >>> Lahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnn!

    >> You got it all wrong, Mark. My last name is spelled with a single
    >> `h' and a single `n'. Really.

    > Is it possible that you of all people didn't get the reference?

    Please stand by ... Activating emotions chip ... *click*

    I just got it! Very funny!

    \\// PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, May 25, 2009
  12. Re: Update to FAQ - Relative URLs for In-page Links and Links to Notes

    In comp.lang.javascript message <>,
    Sun, 24 May 2009 21:52:27, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <>
    posted:
    >David Mark wrote:
    >> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
    >>> The _links_ are Where they were before. Can't you read?

    >> We've established *I* can read. Need I remind you?

    >Yes, please, I don't remember.
    >
    >> Never mind the _links_, where is the link to the notes? Thanks.

    >Ah, *that*. The link is where it was before.

    Being nasty loses much of its effect when it is
    manifestly done in excessive haste.

    ISTM clear that all the publicised FAQ material (and anything non-
    publicised but closely associated) should be in a directory tree based
    on directory <http://www.jibbering.com/faq/> - or ... .com/clj/ .

    All links needed for navigation within those pages should use "#anchor"
    or "<relative file>[#anchor]" as necessary, without using BASE. It
    appears to be so.

    Each index-type page (FAQ index, Note index, and any others) should show
    and link to the full URL of the master public copy (at jibbering); and
    should contain a list of full linked URLs for recognised mirror sites.
    Those links should be like
    MASTER : <a href="http://www.jibbering.com/faq/index.html">http://www.jibbering.com/faq/index.html</a>

    Then mirrors can - and must - copy the files unaltered; and a user
    with a poor Net connection can copy them likewise to his own machine.

    There is material at jibbering and cited in the FAQ which is no more
    part of the FAQ area than, for example, a link to W3; it is, rightly,
    given as a full URL.

    --
    (c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 IE 7.
    I find MiniTrue useful for viewing/searching/altering files, at a DOS prompt;

    Dr J R Stockton, May 25, 2009
  13. Garrett Smith

    On May 25, 3:29 am, Garrett Smith <> wrote:
    > David Mark wrote:

    > >> Instead of linking to jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes, or www., the link now
    > >> has a relative path.

    > > Good.

    > Less load on Jim's server.
    >
    > >> In addition, there are (AYK), specific pages of the notes are linked
    > >> from within the FAQ.

    > > What I am getting at is that the Notes link should be more prominent.

    > How about a link at the top of the page, just  the h1
    > "comp.lang.javascript FAQ" ?

    Under?

    > | comp.lang.javascript FAQ
    > | FAQ Notes
    > |
    > | Version 14, Updated May 24, 2009 by Jorge Chamorro
    >
    > With the text "FAQ Notes" being a link to faq_notes/faq_notes.html.

    Something like that. Or just "Notes."

    > LInks to the notes default page should link to the path, and let the
    > server return the default page (index.html here), but for the purpose of
    > solving only this problem (and not opening a can), we'll leave it
    > linking to the current "faq_notes.html".

    Sure. You would just add another redirect anyway. Faster to link
    straight to the file. The only benefit I can see is that you could
    use a file with another extension later (without reconfiguring the
    server.) I wouldn't worry about that.

    > So, what about that proposal? Like it, or do you have a better one?

    I like the idea of a link to the notes.

    David Mark, May 25, 2009
  14. Re: Update to FAQ - Relative URLs for In-page Links and Links toNotes

    David Mark wrote:
    > On May 25, 3:29 am, Garrett Smith <> wrote:
    >> David Mark wrote:

    [...]

    >> So, what about that proposal? Like it, or do you have a better one?

    > I like the idea of a link to the notes.

    "FAQ Notes" appears just below the h1.

    http://jibbering.com/faq/

    Garrett

    Garrett Smith, May 26, 2009
  15. Garrett Smith

    On May 26, 12:28 pm, Garrett Smith <> wrote:
    > David Mark wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    > >> So, what about that proposal? Like it, or do you have a better one?

    > > I like the idea of a link to the notes.

    > "FAQ Notes" appears just below the h1.
    >
    > http://jibbering.com/faq/

    Fair enough. I certainly like that better.

    David Mark, May 26, 2009