Update to FAQ - Relative URLs for In-page Links and Links to Notes

Garrett Smith

As I said I would do a few days ago, I have changed the FAQ use relative
URLs for links to the faq_notes and in-page faq fragment links.

Reasons:
* Avoids the problem of having "www.jibbering.com/faq/" link to
"jibbering.com/faq/", which caused a page reload
* Makes faq more portable.

The mon-wen postings need the full URL, so there is a variable in the
processing file that adds the protocol+domain. Anyway, these appear to
not be occurring, which is subject for another thread (soon).

Garrett

David Mark

As I said I would do a few days ago, I have changed the FAQ use relative
URLs for links to the faq_notes and in-page faq fragment links.

Where is the link to the notes?

[snip]

David Mark

The _links_ are Where they were before.  Can't you read?

We've established *I* can read. Need I remind you?

Never mind the _links_, where is the link to the notes? Thanks.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

David said:
We've established *I* can read. Need I remind you?

Yes, please, I don't remember.
Never mind the _links_, where is the link to the notes? Thanks.

Ah, *that*. The link is where it was before.

HTH

PointedEars

Garrett Smith

David said:
Where is the link to the notes?

The FAQ links to the notes on the word "notes", in the text:

| For additional explanation and detail relating to some aspects of the
| FAQ, please see the FAQ Notes.

Instead of linking to jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes, or www., the link now
has a relative path.

In addition, there are (AYK), specific pages of the notes are linked
from within the FAQ.

Garrett

David Mark

The FAQ links to the notes on the word "notes", in the text:

| For additional explanation and detail relating to some aspects of the
| FAQ, please see the FAQ Notes.

What column and row again?
Instead of linking to jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes, or www., the link now
has a relative path.
Good.

In addition, there are (AYK), specific pages of the notes are linked
from within the FAQ.

What I am getting at is that the Notes link should be more prominent.

Garrett Smith

David said:

Less load on Jim's server.
What I am getting at is that the Notes link should be more prominent.

How about a link at the top of the page, just the h1
"comp.lang.javascript FAQ" ?

| comp.lang.javascript FAQ
| FAQ Notes
|
| Version 14, Updated May 24, 2009 by Jorge Chamorro

With the text "FAQ Notes" being a link to faq_notes/faq_notes.html.

LInks to the notes default page should link to the path, and let the
server return the default page (index.html here), but for the purpose of
solving only this problem (and not opening a can), we'll leave it
linking to the current "faq_notes.html".

So, what about that proposal? Like it, or do you have a better one?

Garrett

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Conrad said:
Is it possible that you of all people didn't get the reference?

Please stand by ... Activating emotions chip ... *click*

I just got it! Very funny!

\\// PointedEars

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <[email protected]>,
Yes, please, I don't remember.

Ah, *that*. The link is where it was before.

Being nasty loses much of its effect when it is
manifestly done in excessive haste.

ISTM clear that all the publicised FAQ material (and anything non-
publicised but closely associated) should be in a directory tree based
on directory <http://www.jibbering.com/faq/> - or ... .com/clj/ .

All links needed for navigation within those pages should use "#anchor"
or "<relative file>[#anchor]" as necessary, without using BASE. It
appears to be so.

Each index-type page (FAQ index, Note index, and any others) should show
and link to the full URL of the master public copy (at jibbering); and
should contain a list of full linked URLs for recognised mirror sites.
Those links should be like
MASTER : <a href="http://www.jibbering.com/faq/index.html">http://www.jibbering.com/faq/index.html</a>

Then mirrors can - and must - copy the files unaltered; and a user
with a poor Net connection can copy them likewise to his own machine.

There is material at jibbering and cited in the FAQ which is no more
part of the FAQ area than, for example, a link to W3; it is, rightly,
given as a full URL.

David Mark

Less load on Jim's server.

How about a link at the top of the page, just  the h1
"comp.lang.javascript FAQ" ?
Under?

| comp.lang.javascript FAQ
| FAQ Notes
|
| Version 14, Updated May 24, 2009 by Jorge Chamorro

With the text "FAQ Notes" being a link to faq_notes/faq_notes.html.

Something like that. Or just "Notes."
LInks to the notes default page should link to the path, and let the
server return the default page (index.html here), but for the purpose of
solving only this problem (and not opening a can), we'll leave it
linking to the current "faq_notes.html".

Sure. You would just add another redirect anyway. Faster to link
straight to the file. The only benefit I can see is that you could
use a file with another extension later (without reconfiguring the
server.) I wouldn't worry about that.
So, what about that proposal? Like it, or do you have a better one?

I like the idea of a link to the notes.