Upload data

Guest

Hello

I'm trying to determine the best way to allow users to import data from an
Excel template to a sql server db via an asp.net page.

I'll have about 4 or 5 users that will need to create about 10,000 records
to populate a requirements table in sql server. They will gather this
information in an Excel spreadsheet/template and they apparently want to have
the ability to upload the records versus handing them off to some lazy, slow
developer like me.

I have used DTS in the past to import from Excel to sql server so my thought
is to create the asp.net page and 1. create a file upload that will allow
users to upload the Excel file to a specific folder on the web server (plenty
of examples of this around); and
2.once the upload is complete, execute a stored procedure to start the
DTSRun command line utility and import the records.

Is this the best way to do this? If anyone has a better approach or knows of
an example, I'd appreciate any ideas or feedback.

Thanks

Trevor Benedict R

That sounds like a good idea, but you do not want the users to wait till the
process is complete. So you might either keep the job running in the
background while you store information about the files that are uploaded
into a table where the JOb can pickup and insert the records and do the
cleanup.

If on the other hand you are willing to do some research and see if this
fits into your requirement. There is something VSTO (Visual Studio Tools for
Office). Try to google and see if this will help.

Regards,

Trevor Benedict R
MCSD