    What do you think?

    and any examples would be nice or URL that talks about how to do this.

    Thanks for you ideas and help!!

    Jeremy Smith, Aug 10, 2004

  2. Jeremy Smith

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On 10 Aug 2004 06:49:15 -0700, (Jeremy Smith)
    wrote:

    >We have clients upload sql files to a folder on an IIS 6.0. The sql
    >file are then processed by a scheduled task that runs once every
    >10mins to process the file with oSQL. With oSQL the files upload the
    >data to a 2 tier SQL server. The developers are complaining about
    >performance and are saying it is the OS/hardware. I have Profmon on
    >the IIS server and 2 tier SQL server. Both only peak at %5 usage on
    >processor memory stays close to the same.
    >
    >I believe that it would better to have IIS make a connection to the
    >SQL server and upload the record directly.
    >
    >What do you think?

    There's no such thing as a "SQL File" so it depends greatly on what
    these files actually are. Show us a sample file and maybe a table
    structure, or at least tell us exactly what they are and what they're
    doing. This could be as simple as running a query to INSERT/UPDATE
    records, it could be you really want to use DTS or any number of
    options.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Aug 10, 2004

  3. Jeremy Smith

    JoshW Guest

    I believe he is referring to files with ".sql" extensions, so in that
    case, yes, there are "SQL Files". If this is the case, then I would
    think you would be able to store the .sql files in a database table
    much like you would a .gif, .jpg, .doc, .txt or anything else
    (although this seems to sometimes be frowned upon by more
    knowledgeable people than I).

    In any case, I am having a problem getting IIS 6.0 to serve files with
    a .sql extension. For example, if I have a file sitting out in a
    directory somewhere, such as
    "http://someIISserver/someApp/someFolder/xxx.sql" I get a 404 Error
    when I try to access that URL. I believe this has something to do
    with the Web Service Extensions in IIS 6.0, but I have no idea what
    DLL I should use to serve the .sql files... Any ideas?

    JoshW, Aug 17, 2004
  4. Jeremy Smith

    JoshW, Aug 17, 2004
  5. Jeremy Smith

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On 17 Aug 2004 14:50:53 -0700, (JoshW) wrote:

    >I believe he is referring to files with ".sql" extensions, so in that
    >case, yes, there are "SQL Files". If this is the case, then I would
    >think you would be able to store the .sql files in a database table
    >much like you would a .gif, .jpg, .doc, .txt or anything else
    >(although this seems to sometimes be frowned upon by more
    >knowledgeable people than I).
    >
    >In any case, I am having a problem getting IIS 6.0 to serve files with
    >a .sql extension. For example, if I have a file sitting out in a
    >directory somewhere, such as
    >"http://someIISserver/someApp/someFolder/xxx.sql" I get a 404 Error
    >when I try to access that URL. I believe this has something to do
    >with the Web Service Extensions in IIS 6.0, but I have no idea what
    >DLL I should use to serve the .sql files... Any ideas?

    You'll need to create a MIME type for the file, see:

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/iis/6/all/proddocs/en-us/wsa_mimemapcfg.mspx

    If these are SQL scripts, then they're plain text, but it really
    depends on what the file is as to what MIME type to add/create.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Aug 18, 2004