upload sql files from IIS to sql

Jeremy Smith

We have clients upload sql files to a folder on an IIS 6.0. The sql
file are then processed by a scheduled task that runs once every
10mins to process the file with oSQL. With oSQL the files upload the
data to a 2 tier SQL server. The developers are complaining about
performance and are saying it is the OS/hardware. I have Profmon on
the IIS server and 2 tier SQL server. Both only peak at %5 usage on
processor memory stays close to the same.

I believe that it would better to have IIS make a connection to the
SQL server and upload the record directly.

What do you think?

and any examples would be nice or URL that talks about how to do this.

Thanks for you ideas and help!!

Jeff Cochran

We have clients upload sql files to a folder on an IIS 6.0. The sql
file are then processed by a scheduled task that runs once every
10mins to process the file with oSQL. With oSQL the files upload the
data to a 2 tier SQL server. The developers are complaining about
performance and are saying it is the OS/hardware. I have Profmon on
the IIS server and 2 tier SQL server. Both only peak at %5 usage on
processor memory stays close to the same.

I believe that it would better to have IIS make a connection to the
SQL server and upload the record directly.

What do you think?

There's no such thing as a "SQL File" so it depends greatly on what
these files actually are. Show us a sample file and maybe a table
structure, or at least tell us exactly what they are and what they're
doing. This could be as simple as running a query to INSERT/UPDATE
records, it could be you really want to use DTS or any number of
options.

Jeff

JoshW

I believe he is referring to files with ".sql" extensions, so in that
case, yes, there are "SQL Files". If this is the case, then I would
think you would be able to store the .sql files in a database table
much like you would a .gif, .jpg, .doc, .txt or anything else
(although this seems to sometimes be frowned upon by more
knowledgeable people than I).

In any case, I am having a problem getting IIS 6.0 to serve files with
a .sql extension. For example, if I have a file sitting out in a
directory somewhere, such as
"http://someIISserver/someApp/someFolder/xxx.sql" I get a 404 Error
when I try to access that URL. I believe this has something to do
with the Web Service Extensions in IIS 6.0, but I have no idea what
DLL I should use to serve the .sql files... Any ideas?

[...]

You'll need to create a MIME type for the file, see:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/iis/6/all/proddocs/en-us/wsa_mimemapcfg.mspx

If these are SQL scripts, then they're plain text, but it really
depends on what the file is as to what MIME type to add/create.

Jeff