} else {
char *s;
for(s = argv[1]; s < m; s++)
putchar(*s);
putchar(c);
/* oops! */
m = argv[1];

As a trap, it was brilliant.

As handing the guy a homework answer that might be accepted by a prof,
allowing him to continue not learning anything, it's a shitty thing to
do to some guy.

What's your big issue here? You hate all the people who know what they're
talking about, you bitch horribly about how mean and pushy they are, and
you seem to be militantly opposed to the idea that people might be better
off actually learning stuff than just having things handed to them until
they get out into the world and can't keep a job because they never learned
anything. What's with that?

-s

Antoninus Twink

As handing the guy a homework answer that might be accepted by a prof,
allowing him to continue not learning anything, it's a shitty thing to
do to some guy.

What's your big issue here? You hate all the people who know what
they're talking about, you bitch horribly about how mean and pushy
they are, and you seem to be militantly opposed to the idea that
people might be better off actually learning stuff than just having
things handed to them until they get out into the world and can't keep
a job because they never learned anything. What's with that?

I don't really follow what your objection is.

My beef is with the utter hypocrisy of the "regulars" who spend all
their time preaching "topicality" and trying to drive away people who
ask questions about C in a non-academic context. Then some guy comes
along with a question that's indubitably 100% about pure ISO Standard
C... and then since they can't beat up on him for being "off topic",
instead they screw him around with joke answers because of their own
self-righteous judgment that "that's what's best for him".

Hard to escape the conclusion that they're looking for any excuse to
piss on any hapless newbie who comes along. Their attitude stinks.

Seebs

I don't really follow what your objection is.
Okay.

My beef is with the utter hypocrisy of the "regulars" who spend all
their time preaching "topicality" and trying to drive away people who
ask questions about C in a non-academic context.

I don't think that's an accurate portrayal of anything I've seen occur
here, and I've read this group off and on since 1988 or so.
Then some guy comes
along with a question that's indubitably 100% about pure ISO Standard
C... and then since they can't beat up on him for being "off topic",
instead they screw him around with joke answers because of their own
self-righteous judgment that "that's what's best for him".

When you ascribe motives to other people, that often tells us about
more about you than it does about the other people.

There is no branch of study I am aware of in which getting handed
pre-written homework answers is considered a good thing. Most people
view it as destructive, or at least harmful, to participate in fraud
or cheating.
Hard to escape the conclusion that they're looking for any excuse to
piss on any hapless newbie who comes along. Their attitude stinks.

Easy to escape that conclusion. Don't start with the assumption that
everyone is totally motivated by your perceptions of status. Without
that assumption, that conclusion is completely unreachable.

You have decided that everything has to happen for a single common reason,
but that's not at all in evidence. There's a much more reasonable
view, which is that people in general do not like to encourage cheating
at homework, and that this is a separate but coexistant motivation with
the belief that the C language group should be used to discuss the C
language rather than various operating systems.

-s

Kenny McCormack

I don't really follow what your objection is.

My beef is with the utter hypocrisy of the "regulars" who spend all
their time preaching "topicality" and trying to drive away people who
ask questions about C in a non-academic context. Then some guy comes
along with a question that's indubitably 100% about pure ISO Standard
C... and then since they can't beat up on him for being "off topic",
instead they screw him around with joke answers because of their own
self-righteous judgment that "that's what's best for him".

Hard to escape the conclusion that they're looking for any excuse to
piss on any hapless newbie who comes along. Their attitude stinks.

But that's the beauty of online communication. You can assert that the
sun rises in the east, that 2+2 = 4, that Seebs posts like a lunatic, or
any number of other self-evident things - and all the poster at the
other end (i.e., Seebs) has to do is say "No. There is no evidence of
what you say" and Boom! you go up in smoke.

It is like the eternal arguments they have in the religion groups
(groups with which CLC shares a lot of attributes). You say "God
exists" and they say "No, He doesn't" and that's that.

Seebs

But that's the beauty of online communication. You can assert that the
sun rises in the east, that 2+2 = 4, that Seebs posts like a lunatic, or
any number of other self-evident things - and all the poster at the
other end (i.e., Seebs) has to do is say "No. There is no evidence of
what you say" and Boom! you go up in smoke.

Unless you have evidence.

But you don't, because fundamentally, you're imposing a status narrative
on non-status-based behaviors. There simply isn't anything corresponding
to that in this part of the world. You can be super important, everyone
can love you, and if you're wrong, people will still say you're wrong.
People argue with dmr and Stroustrup about C and C++. Sometimes they even
win those arguments.

The view of this group of "regulars" who are somehow collaborating to preserve
this mythical status is a bunch of crap. It's not going to become real
just because you think it's a self-evident thing. In fact, one of the reasons
other people conclude that it *isn't* real is that you think it's self-evident
-- and as a result, you can't offer any kind of evidence or support.

All three of your examples, I'd point out, are subject to an operating
definition and can be verified independently. By contrast, your arguments
about status don't seem to have any objective reality to them. It's your
own brain; if you don't like what your brain tells you about social roles,
tell yourself something else, and it'll be just as good.

-s