URGENT HELP - form submit stops working when so many check boxes checked - Why?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Dave Smithz, Jul 14, 2005.

  1. Dave Smithz

    Dave Smithz Guest

    Hi there,

    A PHP application I built has a section which lists a number of members to a
    club whose names each appear with a check box beside them that can be
    ticked.

    These check boxes are part of a form which amongst other submit buttons has
    a one particular submit button that if checked will send the form data
    (using GET) to a script that will email all the checked members.

    The client today phoned to say that when the check a few members on the form
    (only about 10 actually) and pressed the submit button it done nothing (In
    fact all submit buttons on form stop working). A can verify this behaviour
    and also note that if I reduce the amount of checked members I can then make
    the submit button work again!

    This is bizarre. My initial thoughts are this may be something to do with it
    being a GET post and there being a maximum length, but really I moved the
    form to a GET method because I wanted the users to be able to use the back
    button on the browser to come back to the page (I had trouble doing this
    other ways).
    Also I thought I would post this right away in case this is a recognised
    scenario with an easy fix.

    Please help and thanks in advance for any advice.

    Dave

    Dave Smithz, Jul 14, 2005

  2. Dave Smithz

    chotiwallah Guest

    Dave Smithz wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > A PHP application I built has a section which lists a number of members to a
    > club whose names each appear with a check box beside them that can be
    > ticked.
    >
    > These check boxes are part of a form which amongst other submit buttons has
    > a one particular submit button that if checked will send the form data
    > (using GET) to a script that will email all the checked members.
    >
    > The client today phoned to say that when the check a few members on the form
    > (only about 10 actually) and pressed the submit button it done nothing (In
    > fact all submit buttons on form stop working). A can verify this behaviour
    > and also note that if I reduce the amount of checked members I can then make
    > the submit button work again!
    >
    > This is bizarre. My initial thoughts are this may be something to do with it
    > being a GET post and there being a maximum length, but really I moved the
    > form to a GET method because I wanted the users to be able to use the back
    > button on the browser to come back to the page (I had trouble doing this
    > other ways).
    > Also I thought I would post this right away in case this is a recognised
    > scenario with an easy fix.
    >
    > Please help and thanks in advance for any advice.
    >
    > Dave

    doesn't look like a php problem, but anyway:

    a couple of ideas come to mind:

    1. check the html generated by your php script

    2. try different browsers to check wether this is a browser problem

    3. try using POST to check wether your form works at all

    4. check/disable any javascript that might interfere with posting

    this will hopefully bring you a bit closer to the error.

    micha

    chotiwallah, Jul 14, 2005

  3. Dave Smithz wrote:
    > A PHP application I built has a section which lists a number of members to a
    > club whose names each appear with a check box beside them that can be
    > ticked...

    I created a webpage that solves your problem. But I, like you, will
    not list the URL in the message...

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jul 14, 2005
  4. Dave Smithz

    Dave Smithz Guest

    "Travis Newbury" <> wrote in message
    > Dave Smithz wrote:
    >> A PHP application I built has a section which lists a number of members
    >> to a
    >> club whose names each appear with a check box beside them that can be
    >> ticked...

    > I created a webpage that solves your problem. But I, like you, will
    > not list the URL in the message...

    I'm not sure I understand. I cannot list the URL because it requires
    password access and has confidential data protected by data protection act
    etc.
    If you had the same problem, what was causing it and how did you solve it?

    Thanks

    Dave Smithz, Jul 14, 2005
  5. Dave Smithz

    rf Guest

    Dave Smithz

    > I'm not sure I understand. I cannot list the URL because it requires
    > password access and has confidential data protected by data protection act
    > etc.

    My car is broken. What is wrong?

    > If you had the same problem, what was causing it and how did you solve it?

    I showed the car bloke at the garage my bloody car!

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jul 14, 2005
  6. Dave Smithz wrote:
    > > I created a webpage that solves your problem. But I, like you, will
    > > not list the URL in the message...

    > I'm not sure I understand. I cannot list the URL because it requires
    > password access and has confidential data protected by data protection act
    > etc.

    No one can know if they have the same problem becuase when we make such
    a page it works. We don't know what you did to make it not work.

    Take your code and make a dummy page that displays the problem.
    Chances are, when you make that dummy page the solution will be obvious
    to you. If not, then we will at least be able to see what you did.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jul 14, 2005
  7. Re: URGENT HELP - form submit stops working when so many check boxeschecked - Why?

    Dave Smithz wrote:

    > A PHP application I built has a section which lists a number of members to a
    > club whose names each appear with a check box beside them that can be
    > ticked.
    >
    > These check boxes are part of a form which amongst other submit buttons has
    > a one particular submit button that if checked will send the form data
    > (using GET) to a script that will email all the checked members.

    Hi Dave,

    If it only happens when quite some data is being sent through a GET
    request (i.e. many checkboxes), it might be that the limit of size of
    the GET request is being exceeded.
    As chotiwallah already suggested; try it with POST to be sure.

    --
    http://www.phpforums.nl

    Peter van Schie, Jul 14, 2005
  8. Dave Smithz wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > A PHP application I built has a section which lists a number of
    > members to a club whose names each appear with a check box beside
    > them that can be ticked.
    >
    > These check boxes are part of a form which amongst other submit
    > buttons has a one particular submit button that if checked will send
    > the form data (using GET) to a script that will email all the checked
    > members.
    > The client today phoned to say that when the check a few members on
    > the form (only about 10 actually) and pressed the submit button it
    > done nothing (In fact all submit buttons on form stop working). A can
    > verify this behaviour and also note that if I reduce the amount of
    > checked members I can then make the submit button work again!
    >
    > This is bizarre. My initial thoughts are this may be something to do
    > with it being a GET post and there being a maximum length, but really
    > I moved the form to a GET method because I wanted the users to be
    > able to use the back button on the browser to come back to the page
    > (I had trouble doing this other ways).

    This is exactly what I thought. Have you even tried it with POST? Also, why
    would there be a problem with POST?

    Berislav

    Berislav Lopac, Jul 14, 2005
  9. Dave Smithz

    Dave Smithz Guest

    "Berislav Lopac" <> wrote in message
    > Dave Smithz wrote

    OK been a busy day, but looks like (although not thoroughly tested it)
    changing to POST solved it. However, when I was choosing the GET method, I
    did query whether there would be a limit and it was not clear.

    I am sure this sort of behaviour would have been well documented and well
    known about.

    In summary, if I create a webpage with many submit buttons with all slightly
    different names (so I can work out which one has been pressed) and it also
    has many check boxes, when I check over a certain number of these check
    boxes all submit buttons stop working. I can then literally uncheck some
    until I get to a point where the submit buttons will work again.

    This seems to be a general case for me. I thought this would type of
    limitation would be common knowledge to experts, or maybe I am still doing
    something wrong.

    I will carry on my investigations and report any interesting findings. the
    problem with the post method is that my clients like to use the back button
    and post does not work as well as get when it comes to actually seeing what
    you had on the page before when you press the back button.

    Kind regards

    Dave

    Dave Smithz, Jul 15, 2005
  10. Re: URGENT HELP - form submit stops working when so many check boxeschecked - Why?

    Dave Smithz wrote:

    > I will carry on my investigations and report any interesting findings. the
    > problem with the post method is that my clients like to use the back button
    > and post does not work as well as get when it comes to actually seeing what
    > you had on the page before when you pres

    Dave,

    The GET limitation *is* common knowledge.
    About the back button: my guess is your clients are using IE 6 if I read
    your comment on the Back button behaviour.
    That's a common bug in IE6, but you can easily solve this by adding:

    header("Cache-control: private");

    at the top of your script.

    --
    http://www.phpforums.nl

    Peter van Schie, Jul 15, 2005
  11. Dave Smithz wrote:
    > This seems to be a general case for me. I thought this would type of
    > limitation would be common knowledge to experts, or maybe I am still
    > doing something wrong.

    As Peter said, it is common knowledge. The thing is that, IIRC, Web server
    (e.g. Apache or IIS) can set this limit in a configuration, so there is no
    telling what is the limit in any single case.

    Berislav

    Berislav Lopac, Jul 15, 2005
  12. Dave Smithz

    John Dunlop Guest

    Peter van Schie wrote:

    > About the back button: my guess is your clients are using IE 6 if I read
    > your comment on the Back button behaviour.
    > That's a common bug in IE6, but you can easily solve this by adding:
    >
    > header("Cache-control: private");

    Do you think that's a good workaround?

    --
    Jock

    John Dunlop, Jul 15, 2005
  13. Re: URGENT HELP - form submit stops working when so many check boxeschecked - Why?

    John Dunlop wrote:

    >>About the back button: my guess is your clients are using IE 6 if I read
    >>your comment on the Back button behaviour.
    >>That's a common bug in IE6, but you can easily solve this by adding:
    >>
    >>header("Cache-control: private");

    > Do you think that's a good workaround?

    I'm not sure where you want to go with this question, but yes it is a
    workaround that works. From a user's perspective it's a tedious job
    having to fill out a form again with the same information after using
    the Back button.

    --
    http://www.phpforums.nl

    Peter van Schie, Jul 15, 2005
  14. Dave Smithz

    John Dunlop Guest

    Peter van Schie wrote:

    > John Dunlop wrote:

    > > [Peter van Schie wrote:]

    > > > About the back button: my guess is your clients are using IE 6 if I read
    > > > your comment on the Back button behaviour.
    > > > That's a common bug in IE6, but you can easily solve this by adding:
    > > >
    > > > header("Cache-control: private");

    > > Do you think that's a good workaround?

    > I'm not sure where you want to go with this question,

    anywhere you like, and I'll follow.

    > but yes it is a workaround that works.

    Ok, if there's compelling arguments *for* that caching
    directive - excluding working around IE6's bug - and less
    compelling ones, if any, *against* it, why aren't you sending
    it in the first place? If, on the other hand, the arguments
    lead you to decide on a different value, say 'public', which
    one influences you more: those arguments, or IE6's bug? (I'm
    not looking for answers here, since I could care less about
    individual situations; just suggesting things to think about.)

    > From a user's perspective it's a tedious job having to fill out a form
    > again with the same information after using the Back button.

    Yes.

    [By a strict interpretation of RFC2616, they'd have to fill
    the form in again anyway. But I find that isn't always the
    case in reality]

    --
    Jock

    John Dunlop, Jul 15, 2005
  15. Re: URGENT HELP - form submit stops working when so many check boxeschecked - Why?

    John Dunlop wrote:

    > Ok, if there's compelling arguments *for* that caching
    > directive - excluding working around IE6's bug -

    That depends on the application.

    > and less
    > compelling ones, if any, *against* it

    Not that I know of, so I don't see any reason to not use it.
    If there are major drawbacks I'd be glad to be informed about them.

    > , why aren't you sending
    > it in the first place?

    But I do.
    I only suggested it to Dave to circumvent the "Back button problem".

    > If, on the other hand, the arguments
    > lead you to decide on a different value, say 'public', which
    > one influences you more: those arguments, or IE6's bug? (I'm
    > not looking for answers here, since I could care less about
    > individual situations; just suggesting things to think about.)

    As you already said; that's an individual situation issue. I can't
    remember any case in which I needed both.
    Besides that there are multiple ways that lead to Rome.

    --
    http://www.phpforums.nl

    Peter van Schie, Jul 15, 2005
  16. Dave Smithz

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, "Dave Smithz" <SPAM FREE WORLD> quothed

    > "Travis Newbury" <> wrote in message
    > > Dave Smithz wrote:
    > >> A PHP application I built has a section which lists a number of members
    > >> to a
    > >> club whose names each appear with a check box beside them that can be
    > >> ticked...

    > > I created a webpage that solves your problem. But I, like you, will
    > > not list the URL in the message...

    > I'm not sure I understand. I cannot list the URL because it requires
    > password access and has confidential data protected by data protection act
    > etc.
    > If you had the same problem, what was causing it and how did you solve it?

    I think what he's saying is that the problem and your description of the
    problem are not the same thing.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Jul 15, 2005
  17. Dave Smithz

    John Dunlop Guest

    Peter van Schie wrote:

    > I only suggested it to Dave to circumvent the "Back button problem".

    Ok, let me put it another way. If 'Cache-Control: private' is
    appropriate and you send it, the problem you speak of won't
    arise; but if it's inappropriate, should you* send it at all?

    * generic 'you'.

    --
    Jock

    John Dunlop, Jul 15, 2005
  18. Dave Smithz

    JDS Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 10:51:48 +0200, Berislav Lopac wrote:

    > As Peter said, it is common knowledge. The thing is that, IIRC, Web server
    > (e.g. Apache or IIS) can set this limit in a configuration, so there is no
    > telling what is the limit in any single case.

    It is a browser-based and not a server-based limit.

    The same queries to the same server that do not work in MSIE *will* often
    work in gecko-based (and other) browsers (Moz, et.al)

    On a side note, this is one of the few times when, IMO, a MSIE difference
    in implementation is, once agin, IMO, No Big Deal(TM). As opposed to all
    the MSIE bugs in, for example, CSS rendering, this GET vs POST limitation
    is not a bug but merely a particular interpretation of the W3C
    recommendations. One that other browsers have interpreted more liberally.

    Whatever. later...

    --
    JDS |

    JDS, Jul 18, 2005