Urgent Query for a chat problem, user management

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by preet, Apr 17, 2005.

  1. preet

    preet Guest

    What I am trying to do is to develop a dhtml based chat system.

    So far everything is working as planned, took me over 6 hours to get it
    working, but I am pleased with the results, it is comparable to java
    chat. With no page refresh.

    My problem is

    How do we manage which users are online on chat and which are not.

    I do not wish to use any application variables nor do i wish to use
    session variables. i am trying to avoid the 2

    Either the user may simply close the chat window, or he might just go
    and browse another site. Either way I do not get to write the even to
    the database.

    Suggest a work around.

    preet, Apr 17, 2005

  2. preet wrote:
    > What I am trying to do is to develop a dhtml based chat system.

    This does not seem to have anything at all to do with ASP. DHTML is
    client-side. ASP is server-side. You will probably get quicker help on a
    client-side scripting newsgroup such as .scripting.jscript.

    > So far everything is working as planned, took me over 6 hours to get
    > it working, but I am pleased with the results, it is comparable to
    > java chat. With no page refresh.
    >
    > My problem is
    >
    > How do we manage which users are online on chat and which are not.
    >
    > I do not wish to use any application variables nor do i wish to use
    > session variables. i am trying to avoid the 2
    >
    > Either the user may simply close the chat window, or he might just go
    > and browse another site. Either way I do not get to write the even to
    > the database.
    >
    > Suggest a work around.

    HTTP is a stateless protocol.

    See here:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2491
    :

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Apr 18, 2005

  3. preet

    preet Guest

    javascript does not interface with the database or does it.

    i guess javascript writes to the database too as per your quote

    preet, Apr 18, 2005
  4. preet wrote:
    > javascript does not interface with the database or does it.
    >
    > i guess javascript writes to the database too as per your quote

    Huh?

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"