Urgent Query for a chat problem, user management

preet

What I am trying to do is to develop a dhtml based chat system.

So far everything is working as planned, took me over 6 hours to get it
working, but I am pleased with the results, it is comparable to java
chat. With no page refresh.

My problem is

How do we manage which users are online on chat and which are not.

I do not wish to use any application variables nor do i wish to use
session variables. i am trying to avoid the 2

Either the user may simply close the chat window, or he might just go
and browse another site. Either way I do not get to write the even to
the database.

Suggest a work around.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

preet said:
What I am trying to do is to develop a dhtml based chat system.

This does not seem to have anything at all to do with ASP. DHTML is
client-side. ASP is server-side. You will probably get quicker help on a
client-side scripting newsgroup such as .scripting.jscript.

So far everything is working as planned, took me over 6 hours to get
it working, but I am pleased with the results, it is comparable to
java chat. With no page refresh.

My problem is

How do we manage which users are online on chat and which are not.

I do not wish to use any application variables nor do i wish to use
session variables. i am trying to avoid the 2

Either the user may simply close the chat window, or he might just go
and browse another site. Either way I do not get to write the even to
the database.

Suggest a work around.
HTTP is a stateless protocol.

See here:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2491
:

preet

javascript does not interface with the database or does it.

i guess javascript writes to the database too as per your quote