url length prob

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Katie, Jul 19, 2006.

  1. Katie

    Katie Guest

    Hi,

    I have a webpage with a form and i am saving the webpage using name
    value pairs. So i can give the users a link which they can click on and
    the form will open up prepopulated.

    The problem i am having is that these forms can get exteremely long
    (hence the prepopulation facility)
    e.g test.asp?name=value?name1=value1?name2=value2

    is there any way to increase the url in a browser or if you know of any
    other way i can accomplish this id appreciate ure feedback

    more detail regarding the above: I am allowing useers to save their
    forms with the data, also save multiple versions of the form (same form
    with diff data)

    Thanks
    :)

    Katie, Jul 19, 2006

  2. Katie wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a webpage with a form and i am saving the webpage using name
    > value pairs. So i can give the users a link which they can click on
    > and the form will open up prepopulated.
    >
    > The problem i am having is that these forms can get exteremely long
    > (hence the prepopulation facility)
    > e.g test.asp?name=value?name1=value1?name2=value2
    >
    > is there any way to increase the url in a browser

    No

    > or if you know of
    > any other way i can accomplish this id appreciate ure feedback

    Use a database ... that's what they are for.
    When the user fills in the form, save the data to a database record with
    an ID. Use the ID in your hyperlink.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 19, 2006