urllib2 times out accessing SSL URL on OS X

Discussion in 'Python' started by Martin Aspeli, Apr 21, 2010.

  1. Hi,

    I am trying to connect to an HTTPS URL using urllib2.urlopen() (in
    fact, the Suds SOAP client, which internally uses urlopen) on Mac OS X
    Snow Leopard, with Python 2.6 built from source.

    The website has a certificate (for *.domain.com), issued by Go Daddy
    Secure Certification Authority. It is definitely valid.

    I can open the web page in Firefox and Safari (but not in Chrome,
    interestingly). However, urllib2 just times out trying to access it,
    with not obvious error message (I get URLError: <urlopen error The
    read operation timed out>)

    On SuSE linux (our server), it works just fine. I didn't have to do
    any fiddling at the OS level.

    I've exported the certificate from Firefox and tried to add it to the
    System keychain in Keychain Access in OS X, and set it as trusted, but
    nothing seems to work.

    Any hints would be appreciated!

    Martin
    Martin Aspeli, Apr 21, 2010