Usability of Multi-Select ListBox

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by George Durzi, Jun 2, 2005.

  1. George Durzi

    George Durzi Guest

    This is more of a design/philosophical question :)

    I have a page in which the user sets attributes for a project. There are 8
    attributes, e.g. Project Type, Country, etc. The number of options per
    attribute varies. The user is allowed to select as many options per
    attribute.

    I'm using a multi-select ListBox for this, and it works perfectly. The
    trouble I'm having is from a user perspective. Very few of the users seem to
    understand that you can/should select multiple items in the ListBox.

    I have a short blurb explaining that they can do that, and explaining how to
    use the Ctrl-Click method. But still ...

    Unfortunately, the quality of our data is suffering because users aren't
    classifying projects properly.

    I've thought about doing stuff using checkboxes or radiobuttonlists,
    however, that ends up using a lot of screen space.

    Can anybody think of an elegant way to do this in one screen (not a step by
    step wizard)?

    Thanks!

    George Durzi, Jun 2, 2005

  2. George,
    U can use the checkboxlist and keep the property RepeatColumns="1"
    and RepeatDirection="Vertical" and put this list box inside a div with a
    fixed width and height in that way it will give a close simulation to listbox
    with checkboxes

    Example:
    style="OVERFLOW: auto; WIDTH: 280px; HEIGHT: 75px ;BORDER-RIGHT: gray 1px
    solid; BORDER-TOP: gray 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray 1px solid;
    BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 1px solid; ">
    <asp:CheckBoxList ID="chkList" Runat="server" CssClass="FormText"
    RepeatDirection="Vertical" RepeatColumns="1" BorderWidth="0"
    Datafield="description" datavaluefield="value"></asp:CheckBoxList>

    I think this would be an better approach by putting it under the div u can
    limit the widht and height and checkboxlist inside it would be scrollable .
    No need for the user to press Ctrl+click

    Hope this helps you

    IntelYogi

    =?Utf-8?B?SW50ZWxZb2dp?=, Jun 2, 2005

  3. George Durzi