Use Error Page to Handle Website Content for SE?

vunet.us

Hello,
I'd like to discuss the concept of creating an error page which will
handle the website content display.
I need it for Search Engine Optimization.
The problem is that SE does not read pages with querystrings like:
website.com/mypage.asp?id=123.
Therefore, there is a solution to it to make a link look like
website.com/mypage/id/123 (which does not exist), and error page will
display the content of website.com/mypage.asp?id=123 page, if url is
website.com/mypage/id/123...
Do you think that is a good practice to implement? Can anyone show the
example? Should I use Msxml2.ServerXMLHTTP to pull another webpage
content?
Thanks to all.

Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP]

The problem is that SE does not read pages with querystrings like:
website.com/mypage.asp?id=123.
Therefore, there is a solution to it to make a link look like
website.com/mypage/id/123 (which does not exist), and error page will
display the content of website.com/mypage.asp?id=123 page, if url is
website.com/mypage/id/123...

This is exactly what happens at http://www.aspfaq.com/2248, for example.

404 page does a lookup of what this really should be, then redirects.

It's a bit of a performance hit, but only you can determine if it's worth
it.

vunet.us

404 page does a lookup of what this really should be, then redirects.
Redirects? Hm... I thought Msxml2.ServerXMLHTTP can be used to actually
display any page on the error page... With redirection, there is no
sense to use this concept I intend.

Anthony Jones

Redirects? Hm... I thought Msxml2.ServerXMLHTTP can be used to actually
display any page on the error page... With redirection, there is no
sense to use this concept I intend.

Here is another alternative using a custom 404 page.

Set response.status = "200 OK". Place values needed from the rest of the
URL into a session variable(s). Server execute of one of serveral other
pages that can use the session variables as input to generate dynamic
output. Clear the session variables after server execute returns.