Use hexadecimal literals for good style.

Thinkit

Remember, you are programming a computer, not inputing bowling scores
or basketball rosters. If you find yourself writing a bowling program
and decimal fits nicely, go ahead and use it. But otherwise, use that
"0x". And remember toString(0x10). Remember, decimal is just the
first and third primes multiplied. It's also the summation from 1 to
4. We don't even use decimal for the time system accepted around the
world.

When everything is standardized on hexadecimal (including six new
characters), decimal literals will just serve to automatically send
your code to the garbage. Are you with the future or the past?

Harald Hein

Thinkit said:
When everything is standardized on hexadecimal (including six new
characters), decimal literals will just serve to automatically
send your code to the garbage. Are you with the future or the
past?

I suggest you seek medical help.

Roedy Green

Obfuscated? Why would I want to involve decimal when I'm displaying
hexadecimal? Real obfuscation is using decimal with bit flags.

toString(0x10) produces the string "16".

Thomas Schodt

toString(0x10) produces the string "16".

Whereas
String.toString(Integer.parseInt("10110",2),0x10);
produces "16".

What's my point?
None, just contributing to the general hubbub. ^_^

Alan Moore

When everything is standardized on hexadecimal (including six new
characters), decimal literals will just serve to automatically send
your code to the garbage. Are you with the future or the past?

Genetic engineers are already at work redesigning humans to have eight
fingers on each hand.

Thinkit

Alan Moore said:
Genetic engineers are already at work redesigning humans to have eight
fingers on each hand.

Why is this even an issue? Did you get two more fingers added on to
help deal with time? Or perhaps you insist on using "metric time"?

Alan Moore

Why is this even an issue? Did you get two more fingers added on to
help deal with time? Or perhaps you insist on using "metric time"?

You mean you haven't converted to the Stardate system yet? Tsk, tsk!

Tim Tyler

Thinkit said:
Alan Moore <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

[standardizing on hexadecimal?]
Genetic engineers are already at work redesigning humans to have eight
fingers on each hand.

Why is this even an issue? [...]

It's actually mostly to get better bandwith in the human->computer interface.

This is of substantial importance - since unless we either:

* interface better with the machines...

....or...

* start to engineer ourselves...

....then our creations are likely to wipe us out - as described on:

http://alife.co.uk/misc/engineered_future/

Peter

[standardizing on hexadecimal?]

There are only 0x3 kind of people, those who can count hexadecimal and
those who can't ;-)