    Can I have it operate as I wish with the "Back" button still working?

    TIA
    Brian Tozer
    KiwiBrian, Jan 23, 2005

  2. On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:06:10 +1300, KiwiBrian <> wrote:

    > I have a site where on every page I have a "Back" link using the following:-
    > This works fine when navigating the site.

    Well, depends. It wouldn't for me and 15% of the visitors (apporx.), because I
    don't allow Javascript to run.

    > However if I link to that page from elswhere in the site using:-
    > which works as I wish it, namely that the destination page is opened in a
    > new window; then the "Back" link on that new/destination page does not work.

    Duh, that is why target=_blank is opposed to. It breaks history and confuses
    visitor.

    > Can I have it operate as I wish with the "Back" button still working?

    Hope not.

    Barbara de Zoete, Jan 23, 2005

  3. In article <ct1al2$5va$>, says...
    > I have a site where on every page I have a "Back" link using the following:-
    > This works fine when navigating the site.
    > However if I link to that page from elswhere in the site using:-
    > which works as I wish it, namely that the destination page is opened in a
    > new window; then the "Back" link on that new/destination page does not work.
    > Can I have it operate as I wish with the "Back" button still working?

    There 's no history if you open a link like that. You've opened a new
    window.

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.
    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 24, 2005
  4. Barbara de Zoete wrote:

    > Duh, that is why target=_blank is opposed to. It breaks history and
    > confuses visitor.

    just a general question: is target='_blank' as well considered *bad* if
    you need to jump out of the context of a certain site? target='_blank'
    is specified as a *must* in a lot of gov. and company style guides in
    order to signal to the users: you have definitely left our site and
    looking now at some content we don't take responsibility for.

    what do you think about such specifications?

    cheers
    bernhard

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Jan 24, 2005
  5. KiwiBrian

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Bernhard Sturm
    <> writing in news:41f4aa4e$1_2@127.0.0.1:

    > Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    >>

    >> Duh, that is why target=_blank is opposed to. It breaks history and
    >> confuses visitor.

    > just a general question: is target='_blank' as well considered *bad* if
    > you need to jump out of the context of a certain site? target='_blank'
    > is specified as a *must* in a lot of gov. and company style guides in
    > order to signal to the users: you have definitely left our site and
    > looking now at some content we don't take responsibility for.
    >
    > what do you think about such specifications?
    >
    > cheers
    > bernhard

    Since I use mouse gestures, I very rarely look up to see if the back button
    has been grayed out, so I quite frequently don't notice that a site has
    opened a new window. Then I gesture back like an idiot until I realise
    some @#$^*( has opened a new window without advising me.

    I also don't appreciate sites that send me somewhere in a frame with the
    top frame saying something about how the parent is not responsible for this
    site, etc. Hey, I'm a big girl now, and _I_ am responsible for what sites
    I visit.

    As a developer, I give visitors a choice,
    <http://www.scriptassist.com/links.asp> is a good example.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Adrienne, Jan 24, 2005
  6. Adrienne wrote:

    > Since I use mouse gestures, I very rarely look up to see if the back button
    > has been grayed out, so I quite frequently don't notice that a site has
    > opened a new window. Then I gesture back like an idiot until I realise
    > some @#$^*( has opened a new window without advising me.

    so you better use FF visible mouse gestures. you can close a window
    automatically by mouse gestures: down left :)

    but in general you are right. However, I can understand not opening a
    new window from a CI/CD point of view, that this can add a lot of
    confusion if you don't signalise to the user: 'hey, you have just left
    our website'.
    One thing which drives me crazy at university or governmental sites:
    they don't really have a clear CD and if they have one it's very badly
    communicated through their sites. Now if the browser doesn't open a new
    window (or better a new tab! sigh) I always ask myself: WTF?! Do they
    have the complete CD chaos in their organisation, or what? It's then
    just a few seconds later that I realise that I have just followed a link
    that led to an external resource... Even if they tell their audiance
    that the link will bring them outside of their website, I doubt if it's
    noticed by the average user if the 'alien' URL opens in the same window.

    > As a developer, I give visitors a choice,
    > <http://www.scriptassist.com/links.asp> is a good example.

    I don't see why this should be different from other sites (looking at it
    through FF1.0). All links open in the same window. So how can a user
    notice which link belongs to the service provided by the original site
    (www.scriptassist.com) and which doesn't? Not all users check the url
    while surfing...

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Jan 24, 2005
  7. Bernhard Sturm wrote:

    > so you better use FF visible mouse gestures. you can close a window
    > automatically by mouse gestures: down left :)

    correction. I believe the default setting for this is: down right ;-)
    I use different settings

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Jan 24, 2005
  8. KiwiBrian

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:06:10 +1300, "KiwiBrian" <> wrote:

    : I have a site where on every page I have a "Back" link using the following:-
    : This works fine when navigating the site.

    If you want a slideshow of pictures, it is customary to add back and forward
    links in the form of arrows. Here you know which was the last page and the
    applications... Viewer has a back button. Please do not insult his
    intelligence.

    Same rule applies for new window, resizing of his window, and worse,
    changing his default viewing size.

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Jan 24, 2005
  9. KiwiBrian

    Karl Core Guest

    "Bernhard Sturm" <> wrote in message
    > Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    >>

    >> Duh, that is why target=_blank is opposed to. It breaks history and
    >> confuses visitor.

    > just a general question: is target='_blank' as well considered *bad* if
    > you need to jump out of the context of a certain site? target='_blank' is
    > specified as a *must* in a lot of gov. and company style guides in order
    > to signal to the users: you have definitely left our site and looking now
    > at some content we don't take responsibility for.

    Which government are you talking about?

    --
    -Karl Core
    Please Support "Project Boneyard":
    Karl Core, Jan 24, 2005
  10. Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    > Duh, that is why target=_blank is opposed to. It breaks history and

    confuses
    > visitor.

    I really want to meet the person that is so confused by a window
    popping up that they shut the computer down in dispair...

    I do not doubt it might happen, but I really want to meet a person like
    this.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Jan 24, 2005
  11. Karl Core wrote:
    > "Bernhard Sturm" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    >>

    >>>Duh, that is why target=_blank is opposed to. It breaks history and
    >>>confuses visitor.

    > Which government are you talking about?

    canton of berne, switzerland.

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Jan 24, 2005
  12. On 24 Jan 2005 05:01:04 -0800, Travis Newbury <> wrote:

    > Barbara de Zoete wrote:
    >> Duh, that is why target=_blank is opposed to. It breaks history and

    > confuses
    >> visitor.

    > I really want to meet the person that is so confused by a window
    > popping up that they shut the computer down in dispair...
    >
    > I do not doubt it might happen, but I really want to meet a person like
    > this.

    Why so extreem? Never seen anyone just first confused and then annoyed with not
    being able to just backspace to a previous page? Or looking puzzled at the
    screen when they find out that various previous windows are still open
    underneath the one s/he closed to shut down the browser application?

    Barbara de Zoete, Jan 24, 2005
  13. KiwiBrian

    Dan Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:
    > I have a site where on every page I have a "Back" link using the

    following:-

    href="javascript:history.back()">Back</a></td>
    > This works fine when navigating the site.

    ....at least if JavaScript is enabled. But what's the point? The user
    has a perfectly good back button in his/her browser, at least unless
    you have done some other silly web tricks to disable it.

    > However if I link to that page from elswhere in the site using:-
    > which works as I wish it, namely that the destination page is opened

    in a
    > new window; then the "Back" link on that new/destination page does

    not work.
    > Can I have it operate as I wish with the "Back" button still working?

    Basically, you're doing an annoying authoring practice that interferes
    with normal navigation, then you're complaining that normal navigation
    then doesn't work correctly.

    --
    Dan
    Dan, Jan 24, 2005
  14. KiwiBrian

    Dan Guest

    Bernhard Sturm wrote:
    > I don't see why this should be different from other sites (looking at

    it
    > through FF1.0). All links open in the same window. So how can a user
    > notice which link belongs to the service provided by the original

    site
    > (www.scriptassist.com) and which doesn't? Not all users check the url

    > while surfing...

    Those users who care whether a link is in the same site or a different
    one can pay more attention to the URLs, as well as to any site design
    elements that may be used to give a distinct look and feel to a site as
    opposed to other sites. Those users who don't care, don't care, and
    hence don't need (or want) any distinctive behavior that changes the
    navigation depending on whether the link is or isn't to a different
    site.

    --
    Dan
    Dan, Jan 24, 2005