use of "return"

SB

------=_Part_28273_30927853.1136818142906

This is a total newbie question, but I'd like to know how "return" is
specifically used in ruby. From my understanding, it can be avoided in a
lot of cases since ruby returns the last value by default.

However, some of the code in the Rails stuff I'm looking at has "return" an=
I was wondering if this "return" is necessary or just the individual
programmer's style (maybe carried over from other languages).

Sorry, I'm vague but I would like to know how "return" is effectively used
in ruby if at all.

Here's a code snippet from the SaltedHash Engine

def new_security_token(hours =3D nil)
write_attribute('security_token', AuthenticatedUser.hashed(
self.salted_password + Time.now.to_i.to_s + rand.to_s))
write_attribute('token_expiry', Time.at(Time.now.to_i +
token_lifetime(hours)))
update_without_callbacks
return self.security_token
end

or this:

def authenticate(login, pass)
u =3D find:)first, :conditions =3D> ["login =3D ? AND verified =3D =
1 AND
deleted =3D 0", login])
return nil if u.nil?
find:)first, :conditions =3D> ["login =3D ? AND salted_password =3D=
? AND
verified =3D 1", login, AuthenticatedUser.salted_password(u.salt,
AuthenticatedUser.hashed(pass))])
end

Sorry if my question's off the wall. Still finding my bearings.

------=_Part_28273_30927853.1136818142906--

dblack

Hi --

This is a total newbie question, but I'd like to know how "return" is
specifically used in ruby. From my understanding, it can be avoided in a
lot of cases since ruby returns the last value by default.

However, some of the code in the Rails stuff I'm looking at has "return" and
I was wondering if this "return" is necessary or just the individual
programmer's style (maybe carried over from other languages).

Sorry, I'm vague but I would like to know how "return" is effectively used
in ruby if at all.

Here's a code snippet from the SaltedHash Engine

def new_security_token(hours = nil)
write_attribute('security_token', AuthenticatedUser.hashed(
self.salted_password + Time.now.to_i.to_s + rand.to_s))
write_attribute('token_expiry', Time.at(Time.now.to_i +
token_lifetime(hours)))
update_without_callbacks
return self.security_token

Programmer's individual style. You could replace that line with:

security_token

"self" as receiver would be implied, and since it's the last
expression evaluated, it would be the return value of the method.
end

or this:

def authenticate(login, pass)
u = find:)first, :conditions => ["login = ? AND verified = 1 AND
deleted = 0", login])
return nil if u.nil?

A return in mid-method needs "return". You could avoid it by
rewriting the end of the method like this:

if u.nil?
nil
else
other code
end

But the "return nil if u.nil?" thing both terminates the method and
provides a visual cue that u being nil is a terminal condition. So
it's partly style, but once you decide to do a mid-method return, you
have to use "return".

David

--
David A. Black
(e-mail address removed)

http://www.manning.com/books/black

Dirk Meijer

------=_Part_57785_30045326.1136818746318

hi,
'return' is used to return a value, and end the method processing.
at the end of a method, 'return' is indeed not needed, and simply that valu=
will suffice, though i think a return looks nicer ;-)
a good example where a return is needed, is this:

def method(arg)
if arg.class=3D=3DString
return "invalid argument"
end
#rest of processing
end

this looks a lot nicer than placing your entire method in if/else code.
greetings, Dirk.

------=_Part_57785_30045326.1136818746318--

Daniel Schierbeck

Hi --

[...]

"return" is required if you want to return multiple values like this:

def foo
return "a", "b", "c"
end

Though you can also do this

def foo
["a", "b", "c"]
end

Personally, I always use "return" if the name of the variable/method is
short.

# Short names
return result
return value

# Long name, no "return" keyword
Foo::Bar.bur(1, 2, 3)

# Method call with arguments, no "return" keyword
foobar(1, 2, 3)
barfoo 1, 2, 3

Cheers,
Daniel

Robert Klemme

or this:

def authenticate(login, pass)
u = find:)first, :conditions => ["login = ? AND verified = 1
AND deleted = 0", login])
return nil if u.nil?

A return in mid-method needs "return". You could avoid it by
rewriting the end of the method like this:

if u.nil?
nil
else
other code
end

But the "return nil if u.nil?" thing both terminates the method and
provides a visual cue that u being nil is a terminal condition. So
it's partly style, but once you decide to do a mid-method return, you
have to use "return".

In this case a completely different solution is possible:

def authenticate(login, pass)
u = find:)first, :conditions => ["login = ? AND verified = 1 AND deleted
= 0", login]) and
find:)first, :conditions => ["login = ? AND salted_password = ? AND
verified = 1",
login, AuthenticatedUser.salted_password(u.salt,
AuthenticatedUser.hashed(pass))])
end

:)

robert

Robert Klemme

Dirk said:
hi,
'return' is used to return a value, and end the method processing.
at the end of a method, 'return' is indeed not needed, and simply
that value will suffice, though i think a return looks nicer ;-)
a good example where a return is needed, is this:

def method(arg)
if arg.class==String
return "invalid argument"
end
#rest of processing
end

this looks a lot nicer than placing your entire method in if/else
code. greetings, Dirk.

In this case you wouldn't use return values to flag this error. It's is a
typical case for exceptions.

def mett(arg)
raise ArgumentError, "#{arg.inspect} is not a String" unless String ===
arg
# further processing
end

And taking this even further, in the light of Duck Typing (TM) usually no
type checks of this kind are made at all. :)

Kind regards

robert

Jim Freeze

Programmer's individual style. You could replace that line with:

security_token

Seems like every time I check, code with a 'return' runs slower
than code without. Less typing and faster. I say drop the return.

Jim

Ryan Leavengood

Seems like every time I check, code with a 'return' runs slower
than code without. Less typing and faster. I say drop the return.

Confirmed:

require 'quickbench'

class Test
def initialize(test)
@test =3D test
end

def test
@test
end

def get_test
return @test
end
end

t =3D Test.new("something")
QuickBench.go(3000000, 25) {}

__END__
t.test
t.get_test

Results:

David Vallner

Ryan said:
Confirmed:

require 'quickbench'

class Test
def initialize(test)
@test = test
end

def test
@test
end

def get_test
return @test
end
end

t = Test.new("something")
QuickBench.go(3000000, 25) {}

__END__
t.test
t.get_test

Results:
Most weird. Let's hope someone notices and the compiler is modified to
plain drop tail-returns. That is, if "return" is a reserved word and
thus not viable to being overridden by someone who codes with a dead
chicken in his left hand ;P (Gotta love it when flexibility bites you
back. *daydreams about clean blocks*)

David Vallner

Robert said:
Dirk Meijer wrote:

In this case you wouldn't use return values to flag this error. It's is a
typical case for exceptions.

def mett(arg)
raise ArgumentError, "#{arg.inspect} is not a String" unless String ===
arg
# further processing
end

And taking this even further, in the light of Duck Typing (TM) usually no
type checks of this kind are made at all. :)

Kind regards

robert
Indeed, arg.to_str would be a more consistent duck typecheck. (Le Groan,
what gruesome terminoogy sees the light of day.)

David Vallner