Use of unknown?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Samuël van Laere, Oct 17, 2004.

  1. Dear reader,

    I've got multiple questions dealing with unknowns.
    First of al: I don't use any unknowns myself, though i haven't got a clue
    what they do to begin with.
    But i do find them in lots of stylesheets, sometimes in large quantities.
    So can someone shine some light on this and explain what its for? :

    A:active {
    color: #6699ff
    }
    A:unknown {
    color: #6699ff
    }

    Whats the point of using unknowns in stylesheets?
    Is it useful to begin with?
    If so what will it do?
    Which browsers uses them or perhaps need them?

    As allways, thanks in advance.

    Regards,
    Samuël van Laere
    the Lowlands (Holland)
    Samuël van Laere, Oct 17, 2004

  2. Samuël van Laere wrote:

    > Dear reader,
    >
    > I've got multiple questions dealing with unknowns.
    > First of al: I don't use any unknowns myself, though i haven't got a clue
    > what they do to begin with.
    > But i do find them in lots of stylesheets, sometimes in large quantities.
    > So can someone shine some light on this and explain what its for? :
    >
    > A:active {
    > color: #6699ff
    > }
    > A:unknown {
    > color: #6699ff
    > }
    >
    > Whats the point of using unknowns in stylesheets?
    > Is it useful to begin with?
    > If so what will it do?
    > Which browsers uses them or perhaps need them?
    >
    > As allways, thanks in advance.
    >

    > Regards,
    > Samuël van Laere
    > the Lowlands (Holland)

    Even search engined could not find an answer; only similar ananswered
    questions.

    It is probably an arcane thing that will never be picked up by browsers.
    Perhaps if none of the other A:xx categories is matched, unknown will be
    used, as a 'safety net'.

    Roy

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com
    Roy Schestowitz, Oct 17, 2004

  3. Samuël van Laere

    Neal Guest

    On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 14:40:58 GMT, Samuël van Laere <>
    wrote:

    > First of al: I don't use any unknowns myself,

    Excellent. Keep it that way!

    > though i haven't got a clue
    > what they do to begin with.

    Nor do I. Read on...

    > But i do find them in lots of stylesheets, sometimes in large quantities.

    Can you provide examples?

    > A:unknown {
    > color: #6699ff
    > }

    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/selector.html#pseudo-elements

    This is not part of official CSS.

    > Whats the point of using unknowns in stylesheets?
    > Is it useful to begin with?
    > If so what will it do?

    It should do nothing, being an invalid pseudo. Of course, some browser
    someplace may use it, but it's hardly useful in a WWW context. So pretend
    you never saw it.
    Neal, Oct 17, 2004
  4. "Neal" <> wrote:

    > Can you provide examples?
    >
    > > A:unknown {
    > > color: #6699ff
    > > }

    Well no.
    I'm suspecting IE6 now :)
    Some websites have example/demo pages showing all kinds of css stuff.
    The pages that i like i usually save local to study later.
    Now for what ever reason IE (sometimes) writes addtional information to the
    css file:
    the css file on the server doesn't contain any class/id:unknown lines, where
    the saved file does.

    So here's another reason not to use IE :p
    Are there any more? ;)

    Regards,
    Samuël
    Samuël van Laere, Oct 17, 2004
  5. Samuël van Laere

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Samuël van Laere said:

    >>> A:unknown {

    > I'm suspecting IE6 now :)

    nope, i went and had a look and :unknown isn't one of their pseudos.

    could it just be a typo for .unknown

    --

    v o i c e s
    brucie, Oct 17, 2004