Useless use of private variable in void context at parser.cgi line 48.

jon rogers

Hi,

I keep getting this error message when running my Perl script:

Useless use of private variable in void context at parser.cgi line ...

It is apparently non-fatal as the script executes flawlessly in other
respects. What am I doing wrong?

/ JR

Anno Siegel

jon rogers said:
Hi,

I keep getting this error message when running my Perl script:

Useless use of private variable in void context at parser.cgi line ...

It is apparently non-fatal as the script executes flawlessly in other
respects. What am I doing wrong?

First off, not showing the line in question. How can we know what's
wrong if you don't show the code?

If all you want is an explanation of the message, put "use diagnostics"
near the start of your program, that will elicit an explanatory text to
accompany Perl's messages.

Your program is using a lexical variable (that's what is meant by "private")
in a place where it can do no good. This is often a sign that Perl
interprets some code differently from what you expect. You should
correct it.

Anno

Eric J. Roode

jon rogers said:
Hi,

I keep getting this error message when running my Perl script:

Useless use of private variable in void context at parser.cgi line ...

It is apparently non-fatal as the script executes flawlessly in other
respects. What am I doing wrong?

Look at the $framble variable on line 44 of wingnut.pl.