    Only really interested in Python groups and C++.

    Any advice appreciated,

    Jon.

    Jon Clements, May 25, 2012

  2. Jon Clements

    memilanuk Guest

    On Friday, May 25, 2012 3:38:55 PM UTC-7, Jon Clements wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Normally use Google Groups but it's becoming absolutely frustrating - not only has the interface changed to be frankly impractical, the posts are somewhat random of what appears, is posted and whatnot. (Ironically posted from GG)
    >
    > Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups? I use to be with an ISP that hosted usenet servers, but alas, it's no longer around...
    >
    > Only really interested in Python groups and C++.
    >
    > Any advice appreciated,
    >
    > Jon.

    Have you tried news.gmane.org?

    They have a Mail2News gateway for many popular mailing lists, as well as some of the traditional usenet hierarchy - including this group.

    Here is a link to their page for this group, to give you an idea of what kind of reading options they provide.

    http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.general

    Or you can point your usenet reader @ news.gmane.org and subscribe 'normally'.

    HTH,

    Monte

    memilanuk, May 26, 2012

  3. Jon Clements

    Jason Earl Guest

    On Fri, May 25 2012, Jon Clements wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Normally use Google Groups but it's becoming absolutely frustrating -
    > not only has the interface changed to be frankly impractical, the
    > posts are somewhat random of what appears, is posted and
    > whatnot. (Ironically posted from GG)
    >
    > Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups? I use to
    > be with an ISP that hosted usenet servers, but alas, it's no longer
    > around...
    >
    > Only really interested in Python groups and C++.
    >
    > Any advice appreciated,
    >
    > Jon.

    I have had good success with news.eternal-september.org .

    http://www.eternal-september.org/

    Jason

    Jason Earl, May 26, 2012
  4. On Fri, 25 May 2012 23:30:24 -0600, Jason Earl
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, May 25 2012, Jon Clements wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> Normally use Google Groups but it's becoming absolutely frustrating -
    >> not only has the interface changed to be frankly impractical, the
    >> posts are somewhat random of what appears, is posted and
    >> whatnot. (Ironically posted from GG)
    >>
    >> Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups? I use to
    >> be with an ISP that hosted usenet servers, but alas, it's no longer
    >> around...
    >>
    >> Only really interested in Python groups and C++.
    >>
    >> Any advice appreciated,
    >>
    >> Jon.

    >I have had good success with news.eternal-september.org .
    >
    >http://www.eternal-september.org/
    >
    >Jason

    Not sure if you can even see my original reply to you (I certainly
    can't), but it seems the Python mailing list (which I've been using
    rather extensively up until now) has some serious problems syncing to
    the newsgroup - large amounts of content simply isn't crossing over
    into Usenet's territory, if the synchronization is anything beyond
    read-only to begin with.

    It's a shame, but it looks like I'll have to go back to using the
    mailing list to read for completeness's sake. :/ Gonna be tricky
    juggling that for reading and keeping Usenet for writing (so as to not
    contribute to the information loss), but I'll make do somehow.

    ~Temia
    --
    When on earth, do as the earthlings do.

    Temia Eszteri, May 26, 2012
  5. Jon Clements

    Roy Smith Guest

    In article <Vi6wr.735287$4>,
    duncan smith <> wrote:

    > On 25/05/12 23:38, Jon Clements wrote:
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > Normally use Google Groups but it's becoming absolutely frustrating - not
    > > only has the interface changed to be frankly impractical, the posts are
    > > somewhat random of what appears, is posted and whatnot. (Ironically posted
    > > from GG)
    > >
    > > Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups?

    > If you don't mind paying a small fee there are several companies
    > providing usenet access such as http://www.newsdemon.com. (I didn't have
    > much joy trying to track down a reliable free service, so now I pay a
    > few pounds a year.)
    >
    > Duncan

    I use panix.com. For $100/year, I get mail, news, and unix shell
    access. By some measures, it's an expensive way to get mail access, but
    I'd much rather give Panix $100 than take advantage of any of the free
    mail services who does who-knows-what with my mail. Not to mention that
    I get access to such private newsgroups as panix.nytel.abuse.

    Roy Smith, May 26, 2012
  6. Jon Clements

    Javier Guest

    news.aioe.org
    nntp.aioe.org

    http://www.aioe.org/

    Aioe.org hosts a public news server, an USENET site that is
    intentionally kept open for all IP addresses without requiring any kind
    of authentication both for reading and posting.Each IP address is
    authorized to post 25 messages per day...

    Javier, May 26, 2012
  7. On Fri, 25 May 2012 15:38:55 -0700, Jon Clements wrote:

    > Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups? I use to be
    > with an ISP that hosted usenet servers, but alas, it's no longer
    > around...

    I use Albasani.net (free and very reliable), as well as gmane.org.

    Google Groups is an abomination IMHO, and I find it much easier to read
    mailing lists via a newsreader. I highly recommend Pan, by the way.

    Colin Higwell, Jun 3, 2012
  8. Jon Clements

    Matej Cepl Guest

    On 03/06/12 13:59, Colin Higwell wrote:
    > Google Groups is an abomination IMHO, and I find it much easier to read
    > mailing lists via a newsreader. I highly recommend Pan, by the way.

    I am still surprised how good experience I have with reading news with
    Thunderbird. Yes, Pan is better, but it used to have some rough edges
    (e.g., it's offline qualities were a bit elusive), but of course
    generally it is quite more powerful as a NNTP reader.

    Matěj

    Matej Cepl, Jun 3, 2012
  9. On Sat, 26 May 2012 16:05:23 +0100, duncan smith wrote:
    > On 25/05/12 23:38, Jon Clements wrote:

    [snip]
    >> Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups?

    > If you don't mind paying a small fee there are several companies
    > providing usenet access such as http://www.newsdemon.com. (I didn't have
    > much joy trying to track down a reliable free service, so now I pay a
    > few pounds a year.)

    Also in the pay-a-little category, news.individual.net costs 10
    euros per year and filters out spam pretty effectively. I've
    been happy using it with the slrn news reader for about 4 years.

    Peter Pearson, Jun 3, 2012
  10. On 2012-06-03, Peter Pearson <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 May 2012 16:05:23 +0100, duncan smith wrote:
    >> On 25/05/12 23:38, Jon Clements wrote:

    > [snip]
    >>> Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups?

    >> If you don't mind paying a small fee there are several companies
    >> providing usenet access such as http://www.newsdemon.com. (I didn't have
    >> much joy trying to track down a reliable free service, so now I pay a
    >> few pounds a year.)

    > Also in the pay-a-little category, news.individual.net costs 10
    > euros per year and filters out spam pretty effectively. I've
    > been happy using it with the slrn news reader for about 4 years.

    Same here.

    /Martin

    Martin Schöön, Jun 3, 2012
  11. On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 16:25:53 +0200, Matej Cepl wrote:

    > Yes, Pan is better, but it used to have some rough edges
    > (e.g., it's offline qualities were a bit elusive)

    I wouldn't know about that. My connection is always-on.

    Colin Higwell, Jun 6, 2012
  12. In article <jqfjjc$f5s$>,
    Colin Higwell <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 25 May 2012 15:38:55 -0700, Jon Clements wrote:
    >

    >> Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups? I use to be
    >> with an ISP that hosted usenet servers, but alas, it's no longer
    >> around...
    >>

    >I use Albasani.net (free and very reliable), as well as gmane.org.
    >
    >Google Groups is an abomination IMHO, and I find it much easier to read
    >mailing lists via a newsreader. I highly recommend Pan, by the way.

    I still use UUCP. This machine is a UUCP node (spenarnc.xs4all.nl). I
    fetch my mail and news using a UUCP-feed (login over the internet with
    ADSL to a machine of xs4all). From that moment on it is a newsserver.
    I can access it from other machines on my network or I could make it
    available to friends over the internet. (Not that I plan to do that.)
    I can use any newsreader, and it is fast/instantaneous.

    Set this stuff up in 1994 with Coherent. Upgraded to Linux, and upgraded
    the hardware a couple of times. Running on a Pentium 120 Mhz now.

    I take it for granted but last time I heard, UUCP was down to less
    than a dozen users with this service.

    Groetjes Albert

    Albert van der Horst, Jun 15, 2012