usenet reading

Jon Clements

Hi All,

Normally use Google Groups but it's becoming absolutely frustrating - not only has the interface changed to be frankly impractical, the posts are somewhat random of what appears, is posted and whatnot. (Ironically posted from GG)

Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups? I use to be with an ISP that hosted usenet servers, but alas, it's no longer around...

Only really interested in Python groups and C++.

Any advice appreciated,

Jon.

memilanuk

Hi All,

Normally use Google Groups but it's becoming absolutely frustrating - not only has the interface changed to be frankly impractical, the posts are somewhat random of what appears, is posted and whatnot. (Ironically posted from GG)

Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups? I use to be with an ISP that hosted usenet servers, but alas, it's no longer around...

Only really interested in Python groups and C++.

Any advice appreciated,

Jon.

Have you tried news.gmane.org?

They have a Mail2News gateway for many popular mailing lists, as well as some of the traditional usenet hierarchy - including this group.

Here is a link to their page for this group, to give you an idea of what kind of reading options they provide.

http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.general

Or you can point your usenet reader @ news.gmane.org and subscribe 'normally'.

HTH,

Monte

Jason Earl

Hi All,

Normally use Google Groups but it's becoming absolutely frustrating -
not only has the interface changed to be frankly impractical, the
posts are somewhat random of what appears, is posted and
whatnot. (Ironically posted from GG)

Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups? I use to
be with an ISP that hosted usenet servers, but alas, it's no longer
around...

Only really interested in Python groups and C++.

Any advice appreciated,

Jon.

I have had good success with news.eternal-september.org .

http://www.eternal-september.org/

Jason

Temia Eszteri

I have had good success with news.eternal-september.org .

http://www.eternal-september.org/

Jason

Not sure if you can even see my original reply to you (I certainly
can't), but it seems the Python mailing list (which I've been using
rather extensively up until now) has some serious problems syncing to
the newsgroup - large amounts of content simply isn't crossing over
into Usenet's territory, if the synchronization is anything beyond
read-only to begin with.

It's a shame, but it looks like I'll have to go back to using the
mailing list to read for completeness's sake. :/ Gonna be tricky
juggling that for reading and keeping Usenet for writing (so as to not
contribute to the information loss), but I'll make do somehow.

~Temia

Roy Smith

duncan smith said:
If you don't mind paying a small fee there are several companies
providing usenet access such as http://www.newsdemon.com. (I didn't have
much joy trying to track down a reliable free service, so now I pay a
few pounds a year.)

Duncan

I use panix.com. For $100/year, I get mail, news, and unix shell
access. By some measures, it's an expensive way to get mail access, but
I'd much rather give Panix $100 than take advantage of any of the free
mail services who does who-knows-what with my mail. Not to mention that
I get access to such private newsgroups as panix.nytel.abuse.

Javier

news.aioe.org
nntp.aioe.org

http://www.aioe.org/

Aioe.org hosts a public news server, an USENET site that is
intentionally kept open for all IP addresses without requiring any kind
of authentication both for reading and posting.Each IP address is
authorized to post 25 messages per day...

Colin Higwell

Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups? I use to be
with an ISP that hosted usenet servers, but alas, it's no longer
around...
I use Albasani.net (free and very reliable), as well as gmane.org.

Google Groups is an abomination IMHO, and I find it much easier to read
mailing lists via a newsreader. I highly recommend Pan, by the way.

Matej Cepl

Google Groups is an abomination IMHO, and I find it much easier to read
mailing lists via a newsreader. I highly recommend Pan, by the way.

I am still surprised how good experience I have with reading news with
Thunderbird. Yes, Pan is better, but it used to have some rough edges
(e.g., it's offline qualities were a bit elusive), but of course
generally it is quite more powerful as a NNTP reader.

Matěj

Peter Pearson

On 25/05/12 23:38, Jon Clements wrote: [snip]
Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups?

If you don't mind paying a small fee there are several companies
providing usenet access such as http://www.newsdemon.com. (I didn't have
much joy trying to track down a reliable free service, so now I pay a
few pounds a year.)

Also in the pay-a-little category, news.individual.net costs 10
euros per year and filters out spam pretty effectively. I've
been happy using it with the slrn news reader for about 4 years.

Martin Schöön

On 25/05/12 23:38, Jon Clements wrote: [snip]
Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups?

If you don't mind paying a small fee there are several companies
providing usenet access such as http://www.newsdemon.com. (I didn't have
much joy trying to track down a reliable free service, so now I pay a
few pounds a year.)

Also in the pay-a-little category, news.individual.net costs 10
euros per year and filters out spam pretty effectively. I've
been happy using it with the slrn news reader for about 4 years.
Same here.

/Martin

Colin Higwell

Yes, Pan is better, but it used to have some rough edges
(e.g., it's offline qualities were a bit elusive)

I wouldn't know about that. My connection is always-on.

Albert van der Horst

I use Albasani.net (free and very reliable), as well as gmane.org.

Google Groups is an abomination IMHO, and I find it much easier to read
mailing lists via a newsreader. I highly recommend Pan, by the way.

I still use UUCP. This machine is a UUCP node (spenarnc.xs4all.nl). I
fetch my mail and news using a UUCP-feed (login over the internet with
ADSL to a machine of xs4all). From that moment on it is a newsserver.
I can access it from other machines on my network or I could make it
available to friends over the internet. (Not that I plan to do that.)
I can use any newsreader, and it is fast/instantaneous.

Set this stuff up in 1994 with Coherent. Upgraded to Linux, and upgraded
the hardware a couple of times. Running on a Pentium 120 Mhz now.

I take it for granted but last time I heard, UUCP was down to less
than a dozen users with this service.

Groetjes Albert