User confirmation for web application

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Fernie, Dec 8, 2004.

  1. Fernie

    Fernie Guest

    Dear forum members:

    I'm developing a user application that validates information that the user
    entered, such as required fields and proper formatting, etc. on the
    webserver. If something in incorrect, I am returning an html response to
    the end user. The user must click his browser's back arrow to correct the
    form. If the user happens to be an anonymous web user, I go ahead and add a
    javascript go back link to make things easier.

    I hope that this portion is reasonable and acceptable.

    Now one thing that I have not gotten to yet is simple yes/no type
    confirmations such as "Are you sure you want to delete this record?". At
    the moment, the user clicks a delete button and the form is deleted. Here
    is my html snippet:

    <INPUT type="submit" name="btnGather" value="Save Changes"></FONT> <INPUT
    type="submit" name="btnDelete" value="Delete this record">

    For desktop applications, it is customary to obtain confirmation for a
    delete action. How about for web apps? I noticed that Yahoo does not
    prompt me when I choose to delete any e-mail messages.

    Thank you,

    Fernie

    --

    ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com

    Fernie, Dec 8, 2004

  2. Fernie

    Noozer Guest

    > I'm developing a user application that validates information that the user
    > entered, such as required fields and proper formatting, etc. on the
    > webserver. If something in incorrect, I am returning an html response to
    > the end user. The user must click his browser's back arrow to correct the
    > form. If the user happens to be an anonymous web user, I go ahead and add

    > javascript go back link to make things easier.
    >
    > I hope that this portion is reasonable and acceptable.

    Better to just redisplay the form and highlight the errors or missing
    information.

    > Now one thing that I have not gotten to yet is simple yes/no type
    > confirmations such as "Are you sure you want to delete this record?". At
    > the moment, the user clicks a delete button and the form is deleted. Here
    > is my html snippet:
    >
    > <INPUT type="submit" name="btnGather" value="Save Changes"></FONT> <INPUT
    > type="submit" name="btnDelete" value="Delete this record">
    >
    > For desktop applications, it is customary to obtain confirmation for a
    > delete action. How about for web apps? I noticed that Yahoo does not
    > prompt me when I choose to delete any e-mail messages.

    Design the interface so 'accidental' deletions won't happen. Then you don't
    need to prompt the user to verify the deletion.

    Noozer, Dec 8, 2004

  3. Fernie

    Art Sackett Guest

    Fernie <Fernie@not_thisdocsignings.net> wrote:

    > I'm developing a user application that validates information that the user
    > entered, such as required fields and proper formatting, etc. on the
    > webserver. If something in incorrect, I am returning an html response to
    > the end user. The user must click his browser's back arrow to correct the
    > form. If the user happens to be an anonymous web user, I go ahead and add a
    > javascript go back link to make things easier.

    My own preference (the one I now always implement) is for the
    validation step to reiterate the form with the erroneous values flagged
    in some way, and a conspicuous error message. I've yet to hear from a
    user, "Hey, I'd rather use my back button!"

    > For desktop applications, it is customary to obtain confirmation for a
    > delete action. How about for web apps? I noticed that Yahoo does not
    > prompt me when I choose to delete any e-mail messages.

    I'd decide that based upon how much damage is done by accidental loss
    of the data. If it's a minor inconvenience, let the user shoot himself
    in the foot. If it's a more costly thing, annoy the user with "Are you
    sure you want to do this thing which might be incredibly dumb?".

    --
    Art Sackett,
    Patron Saint of Drunken Fornication

    Art Sackett, Dec 8, 2004
  4. Fernie

    Augustus Guest

    "Fernie" <Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net> wrote in message
    > Dear forum members:
    >
    > I'm developing a user application that validates information that the user
    > entered, such as required fields and proper formatting, etc. on the
    > webserver. If something in incorrect, I am returning an html response to
    > the end user. The user must click his browser's back arrow to correct the
    > form. If the user happens to be an anonymous web user, I go ahead and add

    > javascript go back link to make things easier.
    >
    > I hope that this portion is reasonable and acceptable.

    Not really... what if they hit "BACK" and the information isn't there? Or
    if they need to correct 4 or 5 things and can't remembe them all?

    The best way to do this is a "postback"

    Say your page is: myform.asp

    the page would be set up like this:

    Check if the form is posting back to the page
    if "yes" then verify and process the information
    if data is good, then process it and proceed to next step
    if data is bad, display error message(s) and redisplay the
    form populating the fields with the user input and highlight
    the bad fields
    if "no" then display the form

    > Now one thing that I have not gotten to yet is simple yes/no type
    > confirmations such as "Are you sure you want to delete this record?". At
    > the moment, the user clicks a delete button and the form is deleted. Here
    > is my html snippet:
    >
    > <INPUT type="submit" name="btnGather" value="Save Changes"></FONT> <INPUT
    > type="submit" name="btnDelete" value="Delete this record">
    >
    > For desktop applications, it is customary to obtain confirmation for a
    > delete action. How about for web apps? I noticed that Yahoo does not
    > prompt me when I choose to delete any e-mail messages.

    Yahoo probably (I don't use yahoo so this is a guess) has you select a
    checkbox next to an email message and then click the delete button. That
    makes it hard to just accidently delete something.

    Something to consider with deleting something is how hard/complex it is to
    recreate the item... if its a 20 page form that takes an hour to fill out
    then you probably want something in there to confirm the delete (because to
    recreate the data will take an hour if its accidently erased) if it was just
    a contact record (name, email address and phone number) you might not want
    anything more than a "delete" button because it would only take a few
    seconds to recreate the entry

    Augustus, Dec 8, 2004
  5. On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 11:53:51 -0800, Augustus <>
    wrote:

    [snip]

    > Yahoo probably (I don't use yahoo so this is a guess) has you select a
    > checkbox next to an email message and then click the delete button.

    Indeed it does.

    > That makes it hard to just accidently delete something.

    E-mail is a bad analogy anyway. All mail clients - local and web-based -
    that I've ever used don't actually delete messages; they're moved. Undoing
    that action is a simple matter of moving the message back.

    [snip]

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter

    Michael Winter, Dec 8, 2004
  6. Fernie

    Fernie Guest

    I'd like to thank everyone who responded with their helpful suggestions.

    Regards,

    Fernie

    --

    ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com