user interfaces python3.x

Paul Rice

Im new to python3.x (well, programming as a whole. Never done before) and was wondering how do i get a proper interface instead of just writing. Im using android device(sl4a and py34a). Ive heard something about kivy for android is that what i need if so does anyone know of a tutorial to use it? Thanks in advance.

Steven D'Aprano

Im new to python3.x (well, programming as a whole. Never done before)
and was wondering how do i get a proper interface instead of just
writing.

A "proper" interface huh? Well, I'd love to tell you the answer, but I
don't know what icon to use, so I could only use writing, and I know you
hate that.

(If you think text is not a proper interface, you're going to have a bad
time as a programmer. 99% of your programming time will be writing.)

Care to give us a hint what you think is a "proper" interface? Qt, GTK,
Carbon, web browser, direct interface to the brain, something else?

Im using android device(sl4a and py34a). Ive heard something
about kivy for android is that what i need if so does anyone know of a
tutorial to use it? Thanks in advance.

Here, let me google that for you:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=kivy+tutorial

Are those links satisfactory?

Paul Rice

I know that most of my time will be writing . I dont think i specified very well what im asking.
What i mean by proper interface is a interface like for an app or something, let me give u an example;
Say i have made a phonebook just for this example and i want to use it like a normal phonebook in your phone instead of in writing. So basically making it like an app or something ?
Does that make sense ? Lol

Joel Goldstick

You might try asking questions on the python-tutor list. If you have
never studied or tried to write computer programs, you won't be making
nifty android apps any time soon. You might scream, but try the basic
python tutorial at python.org first to see if you like 'programming'.
Warning, it involves words and letters, not icons.

Joel Goldstick

He's just messing with you. What you want is to write GUI (Graphical
User Interface) Application. The examples Steven cited like GTK and Qt
are libraries that provides it. The word "Interface" means a lot of
things in programming.

Except that those libraries don't work in Android phone environments.
I've never looked into writing code for a phone, but I would suppose
that a prerequisite for writing smart phone apps is to understand more
in general how to write a software application. Guessing from the way
the OP poses his question, he has a lot more to learn than a specific
GUI library.

So, maybe the answers were a little facetious, but the question could
be taken as either completely naive, or as completely pompous. To
answer the second interpretation is maybe more fun!

Steven D'Aprano

Sorry for the wording of the question buy finally i have an answer.
Thanks

Actually, if you were paying attention, you actually had an answer in the
very first response. Two answers really: even if you knew absolutely
nothing about programming or user interfaces and didn't have the foggiest
clue what I was talking about, you could have -- should have -- googled
the terms I mentioned, Qt, GTK and Carbon, for some clues. Add "Python"
to the search terms, and you would learn even more. Then, even if you
didn't quite have the complete answer you wanted, you would at least have
the vocabulary to ask the question.

And of course the second question, about Kivy, was also answered. If you
had followed the link I provided, or even typed "kivy tutorial" into the
search engine of your choice, you would have found the tutorials you were
asking about.