    I know this is common, but for all you hardcore people, is this considered
    bad practice? Should CSS be used instead, or is it just too much of a
    headache?

    John Salerno, Jun 24, 2008

  2. On Jun 24, 9:07 am, "John Salerno" <> wrote:
    > I know this is common, but for all you hardcore people, is this considered
    > bad practice? Should CSS be used instead, or is it just too much of a
    > headache?

    Tables are used for form layout all the time and they work fine.

    Travis Newbury, Jun 24, 2008

  3. John Salerno

    Bergamot Guest

    John Salerno wrote:
    > is this considered
    > bad practice? Should CSS be used instead, or is it just too much of a
    > headache?

    I often use tables to layout forms - typically the label in one cell and
    the control in the adjacent cell. I see it as tabular data, since there
    is a relationship between the data in rows and columns.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Jun 24, 2008
  4. John Salerno

    John Salerno Guest

    "John Salerno" <> wrote in message
    >I know this is common, but for all you hardcore people, is this considered
    >bad practice? Should CSS be used instead, or is it just too much of a
    >headache?

    Thanks guys. I guess the real issue is whether forms are really tabular
    data, otherwise it's an "abuse" of the <table> structure. I'm glad some of
    you see it as a valid table! It just seems so much *easier* than using CSS.
    :)

    John Salerno, Jun 24, 2008
  5. On 2008-06-24, John Salerno wrote:
    > "John Salerno" <> wrote in message
    >>I know this is common, but for all you hardcore people, is this considered
    >>bad practice? Should CSS be used instead, or is it just too much of a
    >>headache?

    > Thanks guys. I guess the real issue is whether forms are really tabular
    > data, otherwise it's an "abuse" of the <table> structure. I'm glad some of
    > you see it as a valid table! It just seems so much *easier* than using CSS.
    >:)

    On the other hand, using float:left on the label means that it will
    be positioned over the input field when the window is too narrow
    for both to be on the same line rather than causing horizontal
    scrolling.

    Author:

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Jun 24, 2008
  6. John Salerno

    Shaun Guest

    I've used tables for forms before too, but feel bad every time I do :)

    You can use a graphical tool to build your form all lined up the way
    you'd like that generates CSS. Try:
    http://psd2cssonline.com

    There's a demo about making a form on the site here:
    http://psd2cssonline.com/node/37

    --
    Shaun

    Shaun, Jun 25, 2008
  7. John Salerno

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Shaun <> wrote:

    > I've used tables for forms before too, but feel bad every time I do :)

    Why?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 25, 2008
  8. On Jun 24, 10:56 pm, Shaun <> wrote:
    > I've used tables for forms before too, but feel bad every time I do :)

    That's because your weak not because using tables with forms is bad.

    > You can use a graphical tool to build your form all lined up the way
    > you'd like that generates CSS.  Try:http://psd2cssonline.com

    What a crock of shit... Learn HTML and CSS, then you can do what ever
    you like and you don't have to depend on a crutch.

    Hey isn't "belfastrab" Astro's name before he was adopted by the
    Jetsons?

    Travis Newbury, Jun 25, 2008
  9. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "John Salerno"
    <> writing in

    > I know this is common, but for all you hardcore people, is this
    > considered bad practice? Should CSS be used instead, or is it just too
    > much of a headache?

    I use CSS, and lables. There is an example here (in ASP but can easily be
    converted to another language):
    http://intraproducts.com/usenet/requiredform.asp

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 28, 2008
  10. John Salerno

    Shaun Guest

    "Tables should not be used purely as a means to layout document
    content..."
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/tables.html

    Shaun, Jul 3, 2008