    Thanks in advance for any suggestion,
    Sergio
    , Feb 4, 2007

  2. J.O. Aho Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I have a certain document in a URL X quite difficult to remember and
    > write. So I want to provide a shortcut to it (let's call this Y). My
    > current solution is the following. In the html page pointed to by Y, I
    > write:
    >
    > <META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh"
    > CONTENT="0;
    > URL=X"
    >
    > This works well. However, I'm not sure if all the web browsers will
    > understand this (I tried with Explorer and Opera) and whether this is
    > the best way of achieving my purpose.

    Most browsers does understand meta tag redirections, you can also use the
    header() function in PHP (server side scripting language), but the the best
    may be to do this at the server level, but quite few has the privilege to do
    so, so your method is really a okey way to do it, as long as you include the
    ending ">" (if using xhtml, "/>") to the tag.

    --

    //Aho
    J.O. Aho, Feb 4, 2007

  3. wrote:

    > I have a certain document in a URL X quite difficult to remember and
    > write. So I want to provide a shortcut to it (let's call this Y).

    > <META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh"

    http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/reback
    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Feb 4, 2007
  4. wrote:

    > <META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh"
    > CONTENT="0;
    > URL=X"
    >>

    > This works well. However, I'm not sure if all the web browsers will
    > understand this (I tried with Explorer and Opera) and whether this is
    > the best way of achieving my purpose.

    It is a better idea to use HTTP redirects by sending a "301 Permanent
    Redirect" header.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Geek of ~ HTML/CSS/Javascript/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux

    * = I'm getting there!
    Toby A Inkster, Feb 4, 2007

    Hi David,

    > http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/reback

    Interesting... but where should I type the Apache's redirect
    directive? I'm confused about that. I only have access to my
    directory, not to the global Apache's configuration. Is that a problem
    for this?

    Thanks in advance,
    , Feb 4, 2007
  6. J.O. Aho Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi David,
    >
    >> http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/reback

    > Interesting... but where should I type the Apache's redirect
    > directive? I'm confused about that. I only have access to my
    > directory, not to the global Apache's configuration. Is that a problem
    > for this?

    if the system admin has enabled htaccess, you just place it in the .htaccess
    in the directory where the file should have been. You can read more about it
    at http://wsabstract.com/howto/htaccess.shtml

    --

    //Aho
    J.O. Aho, Feb 4, 2007

    > if the system admin has enabled htaccess, you just place it in the .htaccess
    > in the directory where the file should have been. You can read more about it
    > athttp://wsabstract.com/howto/htaccess.shtml

    Thanks, that's very useful. But I think the use of .htaccess is not
    enabled, as I cannot get any of its functionalities. Is there any way
    I can know if htaccess is enabled or not (other than seeing that it
    seems not to work)?

    Sergio
    , Feb 4, 2007