Using a Web Service to Authenticate Users

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Brad Leach, Sep 22, 2003.

  1. Brad Leach

    Brad Leach Guest

    Greetings,

    I am developing a new Authentication/Authorization scheme for a series of
    applications. I wanted to use a Web Service to Authenticate users, and use a
    GenericPrinciple on the trusted web service consumer to check for specific
    roles.

    I have run into a problem, in that I can't return a GenericPrincipal to the
    consumer (due to XML Serialization). I am considering returning a custom
    "User" Business Object (containing the username and roles) that can be
    translated into a GenericPrincipal on the consumer side. However, I wanted
    to see what other people had done in this case.

    Are you using custom business objects, or some other mechanism when you use
    Xml Web Services to authenticate users and get a list of roles for that
    user?

    Thanks,
    -Brad
    Brad Leach, Sep 22, 2003