Using Applets in JavaScript

mexicanopelon

Greetings,

Although I am familiar with JavaScript, I am new to the concept of
using Applets in JS. Here is what I am trying to do. I have an Applet

will call "FooApplet" with some "fooFunction" returning a String. The
applet accesses a class "ExternalClass" with some "externalFunc"
returning a String. "ExternalClass" is part of a .jar file will call
"externals.jar".

public class FooApplet extends Applet {

public String fooFunction(String input1, String input2) {
do some stuff....
ExternalClass ec = new ExternalClass();
return (ec.externalFunc(param1, param2);

In my JavaScript file I am calling the "fooFunction" as follows:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE></TITLE>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!--
function doSomething() {
alert(document.fooApp.fooFunction("input1", "input2");

}

// -->
</SCRIPT>
</HEAD>

<BODY BGCOLOR="WHITE">
<H1>Queue Depth</H1>

<APPLET CODE="FooApplet" ARCHIVE="externals.jar" WIDTH=10 HEIGHT=10
NAME="fooApp">
</APPLET>

Click the link to see something:
<A onClick="doSomething()"> Do Something </A>

</BODY>
</HTML>

The Java code compiles fine. When I open the HTML page it shows up
fine and the status bar indicates that the Applet has started. When I
click on the link I get a "java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError". I have
determined that problem is linked to the Applet trying to access the
function in the "ExternalClass", because it works when I replace
'return (ec.externalFunc(param1, param2)' with a simple 'return
("Hello");'. As you can see I even tried adding the external .jar file

to the ARCHIVE attribute, but it still doesn't work.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know?

Thanks.

William Brogden

Greetings,

Although I am familiar with JavaScript, I am new to the concept of
using Applets in JS. Here is what I am trying to do. I have an Applet

will call "FooApplet" with some "fooFunction" returning a String. The
applet accesses a class "ExternalClass" with some "externalFunc"
returning a String. "ExternalClass" is part of a .jar file will call
"externals.jar".

IF your applet and external class are not presently in a package,
the first thing I would try is putting both in a package. Finding
classes not in a package is chancy.

mexicanopelon

Hi William,

Thanks for the reply. My external package is definitely in a package,
my applet is not. Do you think it will help if I add it to a package?
Will it matter if they are not part of the same package?

Thanks,

Carlos

William Brogden

Hi William,

Thanks for the reply. My external package is definitely in a package,
my applet is not. Do you think it will help if I add it to a package?

Like I said - that is what I would try - I always try the simplest
fixes first : )
Will it matter if they are not part of the same package?

That should not matter.