Using Cookies With Perl

James Hunt

Does anyone have a good web reference for setting up and accessing cookies
with Perl?

- James Hunt

krakle

James Hunt said:
Does anyone have a good web reference for setting up and accessing cookies
with Perl?

- James Hunt

This isn't a Perl question and has no excuse to be here.
Right on Tad?

Uri Guttman

k> This isn't a Perl question and has no excuse to be here.
k> Right on Tad?

nope. you lose again. he asked a specific question about how to do
something in perl. you ask for how to do sessions in apache. but you
won't see the difference. just to emphasize the point, i will answer
this query.

get the LWP module (comes with 5.8+) and read its cookbook and some of
it main docs (LWP.pm itself has a list of the other docs).

in particular, the HTTP::Cookie module will show you how to create, send
and get back cookies from a browser via the user agent. it is very
simple to do. the harder part is actually maintaining a session and that
requires some way of keeping state (the session itself) and some way of
guiding the browser future requests to this session. this is usually
done by keeping state in a server or on disk and using a cookie to map
the user to the session. there are many ways to generate and manage
cookies and how you tie them (and thereby the browser) to a session.

so see how a direct question gets a direct answer? the OP partitioned
the problem so it was about perl and not about the apache server. try to
learn from this. but i think i saw some of your old posts dragged up so
it seems you won't change. you are wrong but refuse to see it. stay
blind but stay out of here.

uri

krakle

Uri Guttman said:
k> This isn't a Perl question and has no excuse to be here.
k> Right on Tad?

nope. you lose again. he asked a specific question about how to do
something in perl.

Wrong I asked how to do sessions in Perl. You just went off topic in
this guys thread. That's bad. Bad indeed.

Tore Aursand

Wrong I asked how [...]

_You_ asked? The OP's name is "James Hunt".
[...] to do sessions in Perl.

The OP's subject was:

"Using Cookies With Perl"

Cookies have nothing to do with sessions, other than the fact that you can
use cookies to obtain session-like states across the HTTP protocol.

Tad McClellan

krakle said:
This isn't a Perl question and has no excuse to be here.

This *is* a Perl question.

"Is session mgt possible without cookies" is not a Perl question.

The answer would be the same regardless of the language
chosen for its implementation.

Right on Tad?

You are wrong yet again. Nobody is surprised at that I'm sure.

Tad McClellan

krakle said:
Wrong I asked how to do sessions in Perl.

No you didn't.

You asked, in your characteristic sloppy English:

Is there anyways I can implement a password protected members area
with perhaps a persistent session without the use of cookies?

The question was about HTTP, not about any programming language.

You just went off topic in
this guys thread.

No he didn't.

krakle

Tore Aursand said:
Wrong I asked how [...]

_You_ asked? The OP's name is "James Hunt".
[...] to do sessions in Perl.

The OP's subject was:

"Using Cookies With Perl"

Cookies have nothing to do with sessions, other than the fact that you can
use cookies to obtain session-like states across the HTTP protocol.

He brought up a continueing bicker from another thread into this
thread. Noone said cookies are sessions or whatever you are trying to
get at.

Uri Guttman

k> This isn't a Perl question and has no excuse to be here.
k> Right on Tad?
k> Wrong I asked how to do sessions in Perl. You just went off topic in
k> this guys thread. That's bad. Bad indeed.

DING! DING! DING!!!!

wow, you have no clue.

uri

James Hunt

wow amazing how a simple question can have such a response .....

James Hunt

Does anyone have a good web reference for setting up and accessing cookies
with Perl?

- James Hunt
[/QUOTE]
k> This isn't a Perl question and has no excuse to be here.
k> Right on Tad?
k> Wrong I asked how to do sessions in Perl. You just went off topic in
k> this guys thread. That's bad. Bad indeed.

DING! DING! DING!!!!

wow, you have no clue.

uri
[/QUOTE]
http://jobs.perl.org

Tore Aursand

He brought up a continueing bicker from another thread into this thread.

That really doesn't matter, as long as the OP asks how to do "it" in Perl.

I could easily have been quite on-topic and asked how to create chocolate
cookies with Perl.

krakle

Tore Aursand said:
That really doesn't matter, as long as the OP asks how to do "it" in Perl.

I could easily have been quite on-topic and asked how to create chocolate
cookies with Perl.

I wasn't referring to the original poster.....

David K. Wall

GreenLight said:
(e-mail address removed) (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote in message

That is an interesting article.

I have found, however, that the File::Cache module is not
available on Win32 with ActiveState Perl 5.6x.

Has anyone recoded Randall's cookie management technique to
account for this shortcoming in AS Perl / Win32?

So just install File::Cache from CPAN, or better yet, install
Cache::Cache and modify the code appropriately.

GreenLight

David K. Wall said:
So just install File::Cache from CPAN, or better yet, install
Cache::Cache and modify the code appropriately.

Yes, I used Cache::FileCache instead of File::Cache; it seemed to be a
drop-in replacement, but I could be wrong 8^)

krakle

Tad McClellan said:
No you didn't.

You asked, in your characteristic sloppy English: *etc. blah boo boo blah blah*

Ok Tad no need to go off topic in this thread now. We have already
went over all details in the other thread. Take care. :)