    inherited and everything becomes transparent. can i accomplish what i
    want using html?

    , Jul 20, 2006

  2. tonnie Guest

    schreef:
    > I am attempting to create a table that has a semi transparent
    > background, but has words and pictures inside, that are not
    > transparent. either way, if i place the words directly into the table
    > or create a table within the transparent one, the css style is
    > inherited and everything becomes transparent. can i accomplish what i
    > want using html?

    Hi John,

    I am not quite sure what you are trying to achieve. Best would be to
    place an example or at least a drawing online.

    Could it be something like this:

    http://vision2form.nl/Temp/tabel-transparent.html

    --
    Website Design: http://vision2form.nl/websitedesign/
    Being found: http://vision2form.nl/websitedesign/being-found.html

    tonnie, Jul 20, 2006

    here's an example
    www.recycler.dyndns.org

    the text that reads "this is a test" needs to be solid, not opaque. i'm
    using Alpha(opacity=50) to control the table below it.

    use ie to view this page, i haven't fixed it for firefox, yet

  4. tonnie Guest

    schreef:
    [restored topposting]
    > tonnie wrote:
    >> schreef:
    >>> I am attempting to create a table that has a semi transparent
    >>> background, but has words and pictures inside, that are not
    >>> transparent. either way, if i place the words directly into the table
    >>> or create a table within the transparent one, the css style is
    >>> inherited and everything becomes transparent. can i accomplish what i
    >>> want using html?

    >> Hi John,
    >>
    >> I am not quite sure what you are trying to achieve. Best would be to
    >> place an example or at least a drawing online.
    >>
    >> Could it be something like this:
    >>
    >> http://vision2form.nl/Temp/tabel-transparent.html

    > here's an example
    > www.recycler.dyndns.org
    >
    > the text that reads "this is a test" needs to be solid, not opaque. i'm
    > using Alpha(opacity=50) to control the table below it.
    >
    > use ie to view this page, i haven't fixed it for firefox, yet

    What if you would change the background for class 2 to transparent and
    left out the filter?

    tonnie, Jul 20, 2006

    i just started doing this stuff... you are going to have to hold my
    hand a little.
    explain that so a noob can understand.

  6. tonnie Guest

    schreef:
    > i just started doing this stuff... you are going to have to hold my
    > hand a little.
    > explain that so a noob can understand.
    >
    > tonnie wrote:
    >> schreef:
    >> [restored topposting]

    >> > here's an example
    >> > www.recycler.dyndns.org
    >> >
    >> > the text that reads "this is a test" needs to be solid, not opaque. i'm
    >> > using Alpha(opacity=50) to control the table below it.
    >> >
    >> > use ie to view this page, i haven't fixed it for firefox, yet

    >> What if you would change the background for class 2 to transparent and
    >> left out the filter?

    You made a class ( .2 )

    .2 {
    cursor: auto;
    background-color: #000000;
    font-family: "Century Gothic";
    font-size: 16px;
    font-style: normal;
    font-weight: bold;
    font-variant: normal;
    color: #00FF00;
    filter: Alpha(Opacity=100);
    }

    The table containing "this is a test" has this class. My sugestion was
    to alter the background into transparent and get rid of the declaration
    filter: ...

    So it would look like:

    ..2 {
    background: transparent;
    font-family: "Century Gothic";
    font-size: 16px;
    font-weight: bold;
    color: #0F0;
    }

    (stripped some)

    Didn't test it, so i don't know if this is working or even giving you
    the effect wanted.

    Note: Mozilla does not support filter i believe it is something like:

    MozOpacity=opacity/100

    tonnie, Jul 21, 2006
  7. tonnie wrote:
    > schreef:
    >> i just started doing this stuff... you are going to have to hold my
    >> hand a little.
    >> explain that so a noob can understand.
    >>
    >> tonnie wrote:
    >>> schreef:
    >>> [restored topposting]

    >>> opaque. i'm

    >>> What if you would change the background for class 2 to transparent and
    >>> left out the filter?

    > You made a class ( .2 )
    >
    > .2 {
    > cursor: auto;

    <snip>

    Regardless what you do with your CSS this will not work because of a
    very basic error, class identifiers can *not* begin with a numeral, must
    be alpha.

    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#q6

    ..2 is invalid
    ..2Class is invalid
    ..class2 is valid
    ..this2that is valid

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 21, 2006
  8. tonnie Guest

    Jonathan N. Little schreef:
    > tonnie wrote:
    >> schreef:
    >>> i just started doing this stuff... you are going to have to hold my
    >>> hand a little.
    >>> explain that so a noob can understand.

    >> You made a class ( .2 )
    >>
    >> .2 {
    >> cursor: auto;

    > <snip>
    >
    > Regardless what you do with your CSS this will not work because of a
    > very basic error, class identifiers can *not* begin with a numeral, must
    > be alpha.
    >
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#q6
    >
    > .2 is invalid
    > .2Class is invalid
    > .class2 is valid
    > .this2that is valid

    Yes you are right, they should. As it worked though in as well IE as Moz
    i simpley didn't notice it.

    tonnie, Jul 21, 2006