    my $dt1 = DateTime->new(year => 2002, month => 3, day => 1);
    or
    my $dt1 = DateTime->now();

    aswad, Nov 29, 2006

  2. aswad

    aswad Guest

    Sherm Pendley wrote:
    > "aswad" <> writes:
    >
    > > Hello, I've installed Perl 5.8.8 to use the DateTime module. Because I
    > > need to subtract 2 dates to get the number of days difference. But I
    > > cannot use the DateTime object. In all the examples I've seen, they are
    > > using the new keyword.

    > "new" isn't a keyword, it's just a method provided by the DateTime module
    > that creates a new DateTime object.
    >
    > > When I try this I get the following error: Can't
    > > locate object method "new" via package "DateTime" (perhaps you forgot
    > > to load "DateTime"?) at tt.pl line 17.
    > >
    > > Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. Here is my code. Thanks.
    > >
    > > use lib "C:\\Perl\\lib\\ActiveState";
    > > my $dt1 = DateTime->new(year => 2002, month => 3, day => 1);
    > > or
    > > my $dt1 = DateTime->now();

    > Looks to me like the error already told you precisely what's wrong - you
    > forgot to use() the DateTime module.
    >
    > use DateTime;
    >
    > Also, unless you installed the module in a non-standard location (you'd
    > know if you did), you don't need to specify any additional library paths
    > with "use lib". Perl already knows about the standard core and CPAN module
    > directories.
    >
    > You would also benefit from reviewing the basics of modules and their use.
    > Have a look at:
    >
    > perldoc perlmod
    >
    > sherm--
    >
    > --
    > Web Hosting by West Virginians, for West Virginians: http://wv-www.net
    > Cocoa programming in Perl: http://camelbones.sourceforge.net

    Sorry, i do have that statement. I though i had include that line.

    aswad, Nov 29, 2006

  3. aswad

    aswad Guest

    Sherm Pendley wrote:
    > "aswad" <> writes:
    >
    > > Sherm Pendley wrote:

    > >> Looks to me like the error already told you precisely what's wrong - you
    > >> forgot to use() the DateTime module.
    > >>
    > >> use DateTime;

    > > Sorry, i do have that statement. I though i had include that line.

    > Are you saying that you didn't copy-and-paste your real code, as the group
    > guidelines suggest you do? Why not? You *have* read the guidelines, haven't
    > you?
    >
    > Anyway, the error message you included above is Perl is telling you that
    > you didn't "use DateTime;" before calling its methods. You can think you
    > included it all you wish - Perl is telling you that in fact you didn't.
    >
    > If your real code had actually included "use DateTime;", you would have had
    > one of two results - neither of which would be the error message you reported.
    >
    > If you don't have the DateTime module installed, you would get a "couldn't
    > locate DateTime.pm in @INC" error. If you *do* have DateTime installed, and
    > your script included "use DateTime;", then you would not be getting the error
    > message above.
    >
    > > use lib "C:\\Perl\\lib\\ActiveState";

    > I told you before - you don't need "use lib".
    >
    > > use DateTime;

    > You have installed the DateTime module, haven't you? It's not a core module,
    > it needs to be installed separately. It also needs to be installed correctly.
    > Since you're using ActiveState, the best way to install it would be through
    > their PPM package manager:
    >
    > ppm install DateTime
    >
    > sherm--
    >
    > --
    > Web Hosting by West Virginians, for West Virginians: http://wv-www.net
    > Cocoa programming in Perl: http://camelbones.sourceforge.net

    Hi Sherm, thanks for your response. First let me say that I new to Perl
    so I not sure of the proper steps to take. First I downloaded and
    install activeperl 5.8.8. When I searched for the DateTime.pm file it
    was in the C:\Perl\lib\ActiveState directory. That is why I have that
    path in the file. If I comment out the use lib line, I get the
    following error.

    Can't locate DateTime.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:/Perl/site/lib
    C:/Perl/lib .) at C:\Send
    ail\TT.pl line 2.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:\SendMail\TT.pl line 2.

    When I ran ppm, I got this error

    C:\SendMail>ppm install DateTime
    Downloading ActiveState Package Repository packlist...done
    Updating ActiveState Package Repository database...done
    Syncing site PPM database with .packlists...done
    ppm install failed: Can't find any package that provide DateTime

    aswad, Nov 29, 2006
  4. aswad

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth "aswad" <>:

    > Sherm Pendley wrote:

    > > > Sorry, i do have that statement. I though i had include that line.

    > > If your real code had actually included "use DateTime;", you would
    > > have had one of two results - neither of which would be the error
    > > message you reported.

    > Hi Sherm, thanks for your response. First let me say that I new to Perl
    > so I not sure of the proper steps to take. First I downloaded and
    > install activeperl 5.8.8. When I searched for the DateTime.pm file it
    > was in the C:\Perl\lib\ActiveState directory. That is why I have that
    > path in the file.

    That module is not DateTime, it is ActiveState::DateTime, which is why
    it is in the ActiveState directory.

    > If I comment out the use lib line, I get the
    > following error.
    >
    > Can't locate DateTime.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:/Perl/site/lib
    > C:/Perl/lib .) at C:\Send
    > ail\TT.pl line 2.
    > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:\SendMail\TT.pl line 2.

    Because you don't have it installed.

    > When I ran ppm, I got this error
    >
    > C:\SendMail>ppm install DateTime
    > Downloading ActiveState Package Repository packlist...done
    > Updating ActiveState Package Repository database...done
    > Syncing site PPM database with .packlists...done
    > ppm install failed: Can't find any package that provide DateTime

    Then install it using CPAN.pm, in the usual way:

    perl -MCPAN -e"install DateTime"

    You will need to download a copy of nmake and put it somewhere on your
    PATH if you don't have one already: you can download nmake from
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/vc15/patch/1.52/w95/en-us/nmake15.exe
    , and it's probably easiest just to copy it into your c:\perl\bin
    directory.

    Ben

    --
    Joy and Woe are woven fine,
    A Clothing for the Soul divine William Blake

    Ben Morrow, Nov 30, 2006
  5. aswad

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth Ben Morrow <>:

    > Then install it using CPAN.pm, in the usual way:
    >
    > perl -MCPAN -e"install DateTime"

    I meant

    perl -MCPAN -e"install 'DateTime'"

    (with the quotes) of course. I always get tha wrong :(. I do apologise.

    Ben

    Ben Morrow, Nov 30, 2006
  6. aswad

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    aswad schreef:

    > When I ran ppm, I got this error

    It works if you have the proper repositories active:

    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
    C:\> perl -MDateTime -e1
    Can't locate DateTime.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:/Perl/site/lib C:
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.

    C:\> ppm install DateTime
    Downloading ActiveState Package Repository packlist...done
    Updating ActiveState Package Repository database...done
    Downloading Winnipeg packlist...done
    Updating Winnipeg database...done
    Downloading RothConsulting packlist...redirect
    Downloading RothConsulting packlist...done
    [...]
    Downloading DateTime-0.34...done
    Downloading DateTime-Locale-0.3101...redirect
    Downloading DateTime-Locale-0.3101...done
    Downloading Params-Validate-0.86...redirect
    Downloading Params-Validate-0.86...done
    Downloading DateTime-TimeZone-0.56...redirect
    Downloading DateTime-TimeZone-0.56...done
    Downloading Module-Build-0.2805...redirect
    Downloading Module-Build-0.2805...done
    Downloading Class-Singleton-1.03...redirect
    Downloading Class-Singleton-1.03...done
    Unpacking DateTime-0.34...done
    Unpacking DateTime-Locale-0.3101...done
    Unpacking Params-Validate-0.86...done
    Unpacking DateTime-TimeZone-0.56...done
    Unpacking Module-Build-0.2805...done
    Unpacking Class-Singleton-1.03...done
    Generating HTML for DateTime-0.34...done
    Generating HTML for DateTime-Locale-0.3101...done
    Generating HTML for Params-Validate-0.86...done
    Generating HTML for DateTime-TimeZone-0.56...done
    Generating HTML for Module-Build-0.2805...done
    Generating HTML for Class-Singleton-1.03...done
    Installing to site area...done
    715 files installed

    C:\>
    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

    --
    Affijn, Ruud

    "Gewoon is een tijger."

    Dr.Ruud, Nov 30, 2006
  7. aswad

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    Ben Morrow schreef:
    > aswad:

    >> When I ran ppm, I got this error
    >> ppm install failed: Can't find any package that provide DateTime

    > Then install it using CPAN.pm, in the usual way:

    That is not the usual way when you have AS-Perl on Windows. :)

    First you add repositories and try on from there.

    C:\> ppm repo list
    +----+------+--------------------------------+
    | id | pkgs | name |
    +----+------+--------------------------------+
    | 1 | 6404 | ActiveState Package Repository |
    | 2 | 597 | Winnipeg |
    | 3 | 7 | RothConsulting |
    +----+------+--------------------------------+
    (3 enabled repositories)

    C:\Perl\Projects\misc>ppm repo desc 1
    Id: 1
    Name: ActiveState Package Repository
    Enabled: yes
    Last-Status: 200 OK
    Last-Access: 13 minutes ago
    Refresh-In: 37 minutes
    Last-Modified: 2 days and 14 hours ago

    C:\Perl\Projects\misc>ppm repo desc 2
    Id: 2
    Name: Winnipeg
    Enabled: yes
    Last-Status: 200 OK
    Last-Access: 13 minutes ago
    Refresh-In: 14 minutes
    Last-Modified: 5 hours ago

    C:\Perl\Projects\misc>ppm repo desc 3
    Id: 3
    Name: RothConsulting
    Enabled: yes
    Last-Status: 200 OK
    Last-Access: 13 minutes ago
    Refresh-In: 47 minutes

    --
    Affijn, Ruud

    "Gewoon is een tijger."

    Dr.Ruud, Nov 30, 2006
  8. aswad

    aswad Guest

    Dr.Ruud wrote:
    > Ben Morrow schreef:
    > > aswad:

    > >> When I ran ppm, I got this error
    > >> ppm install failed: Can't find any package that provide DateTime

    > > Then install it using CPAN.pm, in the usual way:

    > That is not the usual way when you have AS-Perl on Windows. :)
    >
    > First you add repositories and try on from there.
    >
    > C:\> ppm repo list
    > +----+------+--------------------------------+
    > | id | pkgs | name |
    > +----+------+--------------------------------+
    > | 1 | 6404 | ActiveState Package Repository |
    > | 2 | 597 | Winnipeg |
    > | 3 | 7 | RothConsulting |
    > +----+------+--------------------------------+
    > (3 enabled repositories)
    >
    > C:\Perl\Projects\misc>ppm repo desc 1
    > Id: 1
    > Name: ActiveState Package Repository
    > Enabled: yes
    > Last-Status: 200 OK
    > Last-Access: 13 minutes ago
    > Refresh-In: 37 minutes
    > Last-Modified: 2 days and 14 hours ago
    >
    > C:\Perl\Projects\misc>ppm repo desc 2
    > Id: 2
    > Name: Winnipeg
    > Enabled: yes
    > Last-Status: 200 OK
    > Last-Access: 13 minutes ago
    > Refresh-In: 14 minutes
    > Last-Modified: 5 hours ago
    >
    > C:\Perl\Projects\misc>ppm repo desc 3
    > Id: 3
    > Name: RothConsulting
    > Enabled: yes
    > Last-Status: 200 OK
    > Last-Access: 13 minutes ago
    > Refresh-In: 47 minutes
    >
    > --
    > Affijn, Ruud
    >
    > "Gewoon is een tijger."

    Hello, thanks for all the suggestions. But i'm getting a lot of
    different approaches. This is what i've done. I've downloaded the
    nmake15.exe file and installed it into the c:\perl\bin directory. Then
    i downloaded datetime0.35 from CPAN. And installed it into
    C:\perl\DateTime-0.35 directory. When i run perl makefile i get the
    following:

    C:\Perl\DateTime-0.35>perl Makefile.PL
    Testing if you have a C compiler
    'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

    I cannot find a C compiler so I will install a perl-only
    implementation

    You can force installation of the XS version with

    perl Makefile.PL --xs

    Checking if your kit is complete...
    Looks good
    Warning: prerequisite DateTime::Locale 0.31 not found.
    Warning: prerequisite DateTime::TimeZone 0.38 not found.
    Warning: prerequisite Params::Validate 0.76 not found.
    Writing Makefile for DateTime

    nmake ran ok. But when i ran nmake test i got a lot of errors, here is
    the last line of the output:
    1 test and 1 subtest skipped.
    Failed 39/41 test scripts, 4.88% okay. 3112/3114 subtests failed, 0.06%
    okay.
    NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe' : return code
    '0xff'
    Stop.

    aswad, Nov 30, 2006
  9. aswad

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    aswad schreef:
    > Dr.Ruud wrote:
    >> Ben Morrow:
    >>> aswad:

    >>> Then install it using CPAN.pm, in the usual way:

    >> That is not the usual way when you have AS-Perl on Windows. :)
    >> First you add repositories and try on from there.

    > Hello, thanks for all the suggestions. But i'm getting a lot of
    > different approaches.

    For ActivePerl on Windows, see the make-route as the last resort.
    Just add the Winnipeg (and maybe the Roth) repositories to your ppm and
    go from there.
    Very convenient.

    --
    Affijn, Ruud

    "Gewoon is een tijger."

    Dr.Ruud, Nov 30, 2006
  10. aswad

    aswad Guest

    Dr.Ruud wrote:
    > aswad schreef:
    > > Dr.Ruud wrote:
    > >> Ben Morrow:

    > >> That is not the usual way when you have AS-Perl on Windows. :)
    > >> First you add repositories and try on from there.

    > > Hello, thanks for all the suggestions. But i'm getting a lot of
    > > different approaches.

    > For ActivePerl on Windows, see the make-route as the last resort.
    > Just add the Winnipeg (and maybe the Roth) repositories to your ppm and
    > go from there.
    > Very convenient.
    >
    > --
    > Affijn, Ruud
    >
    > "Gewoon is een tijger."

    This is the only package i have:
    C:\> ppm repo list
    ¦ id ¦ pkgs ¦ name ¦
    +----+------+--------------------------------¦
    ¦ 1 ¦ 6404 ¦ ActiveState Package Repository ¦
    (1 enabled repository)

    C:\>ppm repo desc 1
    Id: 1
    Name: ActiveState Package Repository
    Enabled: yes
    Last-Status: 304 Not Modified
    Last-Access: 2 hours and 35 minutes ago
    Refresh-In: overdue
    Last-Modified: 3 days ago

    When i run the program, this is what i get:
    C:\SendMail>tt.pl
    Can't locate Params/Validate.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
    C:/Perl/site/lib C:/Perl/lib .) at C
    :/Perl/site/lib/DateTime/Duration.pm line 7.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
    C:/Perl/site/lib/DateTime/Duration.pm line 7.
    Compilation failed in require at C:/Perl/site/lib/DateTime.pm line 51.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:/Perl/site/lib/DateTime.pm line
    51.
    Compilation failed in require at C:\SendMail\TT.pl line 2.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:\SendMail\TT.pl line 2.

    aswad, Nov 30, 2006
  11. aswad

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    aswad schreef:
    > Dr.Ruud:

    >> For ActivePerl on Windows, see the make-route as the last resort.
    >> Just add the Winnipeg (and maybe the Roth) repositories to your ppm
    >> and go from there.
    >> Very convenient.

    > This is the only package i have:
    > C:\> ppm repo list
    > +--------------------------------------------+
    > ¦ id ¦ pkgs ¦ name ¦
    > +----+------+--------------------------------¦
    > ¦ 1 ¦ 6404 ¦ ActiveState Package Repository ¦
    > +--------------------------------------------+
    > (1 enabled repository)

    That is not a package but a repository.

    Like I said two times before now, add more repositories. See "perldoc
    ppm" for how to do that, or use the new GUI-ppm, which has a form under
    Edit/Preferences for adding repositories. For the details of the
    repositories to add, see an earlier posting.

    (Please only quote relevant text, so no signatures or any other text
    from previous postings that is no longer relevant, so certainly remove
    this text and the following sig if you need to reply.)

    --
    Affijn, Ruud

    "Gewoon is een tijger."

    Dr.Ruud, Nov 30, 2006
  12. aswad

    Steve K. Guest

    Sherm Pendley wrote:

    > Are you saying that you didn't copy-and-paste your real code, as the
    > group guidelines suggest you do? Why not? You *have* read the
    > guidelines, haven't you?

    This common short sightedness keeps coming back again and again around
    here. I have looked and looked and I don't see any posting for a
    guideline in the correct listing for this group from my news server.

    If he is news to this group, I think it is a little unfair to expect him
    to have read something he may not have any knowledge about.

    It's like expecting someone who enters a building to read the directory,
    when the directory is down a couple of hallways, constantly changing
    it's location (just like you never really know where and if you'll have
    the guideline posting, if it's still being posted, in your spool.)

    I could understand this sort of attitude on a medium such as a web forum
    where FAQs are either global fixed links at the top of the of the board,
    or as "pinned" FAQ postings for a given forum.

    But in a medium such as NNTP where such postings are hit and miss, it's
    just plain asinine to think everyone automatically knows of and even is
    able to see them.

    Steve K., Dec 1, 2006
  13. aswad

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    Dr.Ruud schreef:

    > For ActivePerl on Windows, see the make-route as the last resort.
    > Just add the Winnipeg (and maybe the Roth) repositories to your ppm
    > and go from there.
    > Very convenient.

    But also consider this:

    "Getting Fed Up with ActiveState"
    http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=587162

    --
    Affijn, Ruud

    "Gewoon is een tijger."

    Dr.Ruud, Dec 1, 2006
  14. aswad

    aswad Guest

    Dr.Ruud wrote:
    > Dr.Ruud schreef:
    >
    > > For ActivePerl on Windows, see the make-route as the last resort.
    > > Just add the Winnipeg (and maybe the Roth) repositories to your ppm
    > > and go from there.
    > > Very convenient.

    > But also consider this:
    >
    > "Getting Fed Up with ActiveState"
    > http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=587162
    >
    > --
    > Affijn, Ruud
    >
    > "Gewoon is een tijger."

    Well thanks for all the different suggestions, but done have worked.
    I'm surprised that this is so difficult. What is the difference between
    ActiveState DateTime and DateTime from CPAN. If i already have the
    DateTime module from ActiveState why can't i just use that?

    aswad, Dec 1, 2006
  15. aswad

    aswad Guest

    Sherm Pendley wrote:
    > "aswad" <> writes:
    >
    > > Dr.Ruud wrote:

    > >> But also consider this:
    > >>
    > >> "Getting Fed Up with ActiveState"
    > >> http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=587162
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Affijn, Ruud
    > >>
    > >> "Gewoon is een tijger."

    > > Well thanks for all the different suggestions, but done have worked.
    > > I'm surprised that this is so difficult. What is the difference between
    > > ActiveState DateTime and DateTime from CPAN.

    > You're confusing two completely separate issues here.
    >
    > Package names are *very* relevant. ActiveState::DateTime is not the same
    > module as DateTime. The differences in the two are not at all related to the
    > means used to install them.
    >
    > PPM and CPAN are simply two different installation mechanisms. The procedure
    > for using them to install modules differs, but once the DateTime module has
    > been installed, the means you used to install it makes zero different in how
    > it's used in your scripts.
    >
    > > If i already have the
    > > DateTime module from ActiveState

    > You don't. You have the ActiveState::DateTime module, not the DateTime module.
    > Package names are important!
    >
    > > why can't i just use that?

    > Maybe you can. Have you read the docs for ActiveState::DateTime to see if
    > it will do what you want to do?
    >
    > sherm--
    >
    > --
    > Web Hosting by West Virginians, for West Virginians: http://wv-www.net
    > Cocoa programming in Perl: http://camelbones.sourceforge.net

    Hi Sherm, thanks for the information. I took a look at the
    documentation on the ActiveState web site. But couldn't find anything
    on DateTime. Or maybe I wasn't looking under the right section.

    aswad, Dec 1, 2006
  16. aswad

    Jim Gibson Guest

    In article <>,
    aswad <> wrote:

    > Hi Sherm, thanks for the information. I took a look at the
    > documentation on the ActiveState web site. But couldn't find anything
    > on DateTime. Or maybe I wasn't looking under the right section.

    Perl comes with its own documentation, as do most modules. Type

    perldoc ActiveState::DateTime

    at a command-line prompt. I have also read on this newsgroup that the
    ActiveState Perl installation comes with HTML documentation, so it is
    likely that AS has provided the documentation for this module. Look
    under the 'Start' menu (can't be much more help than that because I do
    not have access to an AS Perl installation).

    Jim Gibson, Dec 1, 2006