Using Object tag instead of Applet tag why?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Sanny, Jul 14, 2012.

  1. Sanny

    Sanny Guest

    I read at a few places on net to use "Object" tag instead of "Applet" tag.

    Why? What is the disadvantage of using Applet tag?

    I have a game which I publish as below

    <applet code="My...Game.class" width="800" height="600" archive="Fight...game.jar" codebase="http://www.getclub.com/.../enjoygame/">
    Game applet
    </applet>

    What will be the Syntax to use when using the Object Tag?

    Will I be able to pass parameters as-well?

    Will Object tag works on all Browser?

    There is one Embed Tag also whats difference between Embed Tag & Object Tag. Which one is best.

    I want some way for the tag to download the required java plugin directly in browsers not having java.

    Can I specify something it tag So that the Java JVM is automatically downloaded?

    I am having a Java program not using jar file. I have a few images in it.

    Currently I load the program and call each image.

    Can I collect all images in a zip/ jar file and call each?

    How to add a flash screen that shows download status while images are downloaded from jar file while the applet is loading?

    Bye
    Sanny

    Wandering in Java Forest
    Play Fireman Shooting Game
    http://www.getclub.com/Fireman.html

    Sanny, Jul 14, 2012

  2. Sanny

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 02:01:31 -0700 (PDT), Sanny
    who said :

    >Why? What is the disadvantage of using Applet tag?

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/applet.html

    There is a new Object tag in HTML5, but the current one is a joke.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    Roedy Green, Jul 14, 2012

  3. Sanny

    Lew Guest

    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Java applet tag object

    --
    Lew
    Honi soit qui mal y pense.

    Lew, Jul 14, 2012
  4. In article <>,
    Sanny <> wrote:

    > Can I specify something it tag So that the Java JVM is automatically
    > downloaded?

    Java Web Start supports this feature as one of its <resources/>:

    <http://stackoverflow.com/tags/java-web-start/info

    Several variations are illustrated here:

    <https://sites.google.com/site/drjohnbmatthews/subway>

    --
    John B. Matthews
    trashgod at gmail dot com

    John B. Matthews, Jul 15, 2012
  5. Sanny

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 7/14/2012 5:01 AM, Sanny wrote:
    > I read at a few places on net to use "Object" tag instead of "Applet" tag.
    >
    > Why? What is the disadvantage of using Applet tag?

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/objects.html#h-13.4

    APPLET is deprecated (with all its attributes) in favor of OBJECT.

    > I have a game which I publish as below
    >
    > <applet code="My...Game.class" width="800" height="600" archive="Fight...game.jar" codebase="http://www.getclub.com/.../enjoygame/">
    > Game applet
    > </applet>
    >
    > What will be the Syntax to use when using the Object Tag?

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/objects.html#h-13.3

    More details at:

    http://docs.oracle.com/javase/1.4.2/docs/guide/plugin/developer_guide/using_tags.html

    > Will I be able to pass parameters as-well?

    Yes.

    > Will Object tag works on all Browser?

    All relevant.

    > There is one Embed Tag also whats difference between Embed Tag & Object Tag. Which one is best.

    embed tag is new in HTML 5.

    As there are still browsers out there not understanding HTML 5 then I
    will suggest using object tag.

    > I want some way for the tag to download the required java plugin directly in browsers not having java.

    The object tag can do that.

    See previous link or the newer (but still old):

    http://docs.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/guide/plugin/developer_guide/using_tags.html

    But have you considered using Java Web Start? That will give you much
    better control!

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 20, 2012