using python logo at startup

Dhruv

Is there a way to display/flash "python powered" logo for like 2
seconds at startup of a helloworld application?

Well actually I have an application that takes data from an excel file
and generates a kml file and opens it up with google earth. All this
is compiled in an exe file using py2exe. Now I just want to display
the python logo before the actual script starts. Just for the sake of
informing the user that this application was made using python.

Is this possible?

Mike Driscoll

Is there a way to display/flash "python powered" logo for like 2
seconds at startup of a helloworld application?

Well actually I have an application that takes data from an excel file
and generates a kml file and opens it up with google earth. All this
is compiled in an exe file using py2exe. Now I just want to display
the python logo before the actual script starts. Just for the sake of
informing the user that this application was made using python.

Is this possible?

Sure. You just need to pick a GUI toolkit and have it display a
picture for a few seconds and then disappear. wxPython has a built-in
splash screen widget made for just this purpose. Tkinter may too, or
you could just roll your own in it.

- Mike

Carl Banks

Sure. You just need to pick a GUI toolkit and have it display a
picture for a few seconds and then disappear. wxPython has a built-in
splash screen widget made for just this purpose. Tkinter may too, or
you could just roll your own in it.

I don't recommend packaging a GUI toolkit--especially wx--just to pop
up a splash screen. That's a lot of dependency for something very
basic.

Googling for "python splash screen" yields this recipe which seems
pretty simple.

http://code.activestate.com/recipes/120687/

Also, no matter how spiffy the Python logo is, you should always give
the user an option to disable it. (A lot of people like to start an
app and do something else while it's loading, and splash screens are
highly irritating when doing this.)

Carl Banks